Sound cards

Guest Sound Surgeon

i want to buy a good sound card . for now i'm buying creative live value cuz i don't have more money. can u help me in my desicion, or should i buy a different card (by the way i make trance as well).

Guest Slidingtrancer

If you do get THAT SBlive! be sure to get the APS drivers installed. Everyone is always complaining about the SBLIVE considering it's a gamescard, well its really not. It can give you better sound than some of the other stuff around...

http://come.to/sblive

Be sure to check out the Audiophile 2496, I heard that was the best around...

Http://www.m-audio.com

NOooo Dont buy Echo cards, personally i think they suck big time. I just bought a delta 44, i Love it.

Check out the Audiophile 2496 too, like slidertrance said. it's pretty cheap.

Guest etherdesign

Echo cards are great, they have the same AD/DA converters as the M-Audio cards, as long as you have an genuine Intel chipset for Pentiums, or an AMD/VIA KT chipset for AMD.. you're fine..

I had problems with my Echo card and I read that alot of others did too, so I got rid of my crappy VIA Apollo Pro mainboard and bought an Intel 815E, I couldn't be happier, not only does my card run better but my system as a whole is rock solid.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mindbender

I'm going to be buying a new computer soon and have done quite a lot of research on sound cards. It depends a lot on the money that you have, but at the moment it seems like the outstandingly best value for money card is SB Audigy Platinum (with Ex if you want). Like Live! Platinum, it comes with a connection box that in the normal version goes to a CD-sized disc drive slot or is external in the Ex version. While this card has many improvements compared to the Live! and comes almost at the same price, the best thing is that it is now ASIO compatible. That means that you can hook up your midi-controller keyboard to your sound card, play soft-synths and get the sound out of the computer, routed to speakers in 2ms. This is essential for live recording, because you can't play live if you hear the sound 200ms after pressing the note on your keyboard (as it is often without ASIO). Anyway, I will be basing my setup completely on software, so that is very important.

Really, if you do make all-soft music, then the sound card doesn't matter otherwise that much. It should have midi connections (most have them double acting as joystick ports, which just means you have to buy a different cable), audio connections (all have, but various style and amounts), ASIO (or other low latency) compatability, low noise level for mastering (if you make it all software, you can burn your .wav straight on CD and none of the noise will be on your CD). But you'll want loads of processor power and memory and HD. And good monitors. I'm drooling for Genelecs.

Lauri