Buying a mixer

I have been offered to buy a Mackie 1604 for $500 or a Behringer MX2642 for $350.

I think the specs are about the same on both. Is the Mackie worth the higher price?

Guest mkay11......

well i have just bought a new behringer mixer and am very pleased with my purchase.....the sound quality is great so either way you go you will be happy....

Guest Elysium Project

It depends.... IThe Behringer is a bit more warm and thicker sounding but the Mackie has some very nice EQ´s .... so it all comes down to what sound you are after...

Guest Budding

Yes, Mackie has some VERY nice EQs, that's kind of Mackie's trademark - besides, a Mackie lasts, something which cannot be said about Behringer. My eurorack MX 1602 is about three years old, and is beginnig to act up - but not in a good way :) - at certain main mix levels, it falls out, and there are some loose connections in one of the channels (a stereo channel curse it!!!)

Okay, it should be said that a bit of beer was spilled in it two years ago, but I (and the mixer) thought nothing of it, and the bugs came crawling a 1½ year after, so that's probably not the course - I would definetly go with the Mackie, and especially for $150 more... The mixer is a very bad place to compromise...

Cheers and good luck with the purchase - you should check them both out is possible, to see if they have some flaws - alll of the channels and all the sends and returns, everything!

BTW i think Mackie is also famous for some FINE preamps - but I'm not sure. Mackie generally has the best rep, that's for sure!

.oO Budding Oo.

Guest Elysium Project

Well Budding try to get your mixer cleaned..... that would make miracles :-)

I still believe that Behringer is a damn good mixer brand........ But as I mentioned abover it is up to your opinion of what sound you want.

Behringer = thicker analog sound

Mackie = a bit thinner with better EQ for squeezing and twisting....

Thanks all for your answers. Now I'm not sure what to do though. :)

I prefer a warm and thick sound, but still I'd like a nice EQ. Perhaps I should look at another brand? How do Soundcraft mixers colour the sound?

• 2 weeks later...