Gating with midi

Hi.

I have been trying to make some gated choir sounds (you know ooohh.. o-o-o-o-o- oooh.. :-). I thougt that the best way to do it would be to make the volume jump up and down by using #CC for expression, but it does not work very well. It may work for a while but it seems like its too much data for the midi protocol. I use cakewalk as sequencer and when doing this and maybe a couple of other midi functions at the same time Cakewalk will crash after a while. I guess this is because midi is such and old standard, its just too much data.

My question is, how do u do it? Its very common, in many oldschool releases this sound can be heard. How ?

Guest Elysium Project

You should try logic platinium instead...that might help you out... I have never had any problems with the gating on that program..

Also.. in Cubase you can do it to audiofiles(wavs) with midi gate plug-in... it's very easy.. just import audio file in audio channel... draw the notes in midi channel... then the audio plays only when midi channel notes are playing... and you can choose attack and release times. Pro-52 VSTinstrument also work as a gate.

But I quess you have to have fast computer if you want to do this kind of stuff anyway...

:)

Guest mkay11......

i bought the boss gt-5 guitar efx processor and hooked the nord (usings the nord patch voice) then i played around with it a bit and used the patch on the gt-5 called gated synth......i was pleasantly suprised....can change the rate of it with the

pedal.........i know this doesn't help you but wanted to share it with you all........

i love my new equipment.......

8D............

Elysium:

But using an external gate would mean almost as much midi data wouldnt it? With external gate u have to send it note on and off messages, right?

Shpongled:

The problem does not occure within the synth, it is either in the sequencer ór the midi interface. I have a Nova also (i am in love with that machine!), but i want to do it on one of my other synths.

Guest psychopat

Hi Rikard !

Do you really need the VCA enveloppe

(especially attack, release) of your choir sound?

Couldn't you use only note on, note off, and play

with note length to do such a result.

The enveloppe has to set Attack and Release time to 0.

I understand what kind of riff you are talking about

but I think that usually it's a voice sample (quite long

with sustain loop and a lot of variation during the loop)

and playing with the volume do what you want.

Since you are using a synth with a short sample (I suppose)

or only synthesis what about the "note on" techniques?

Pat

Treid the note on technique. It works depending on what sound it is. I want to do this on a choir sound, either from my Korg N1 or the a Soundfont. The sound usually has a bit punchy attack or a slow envelope of some kind, and if thats the case, the note on/off tecnique will not work, because then the envelope will restart every time the sound is triggered.

Guest Elysium Project

I don't know that much about cakewalk but to mee it seem like that you need to change your setting so your midi do not overflow.. It is nothing to do with the technique but (in my opinion) a hardware/software issue..