Silent parts and brakes?

I was wondering... is it bad to add extra silence parts in track? I mean like 16 bars + 1 bar silence/brake and then continue...

or should it be like 15 bars + 1bar silence/brake... ??

Guest Slidingtrancer

15+1

16+1 is only possible when you swith to a different time signature like

Switching from 4/4 to 7/8 :D

Anyway, just make it 15+1... Its cool to have silent parts in a track, especially when doing full-on tracks. Just build the thing up... let it run into a silence and hit it off again with another layer, just don't do too much silences and try and make the slightly inpredictable :D

Guest Psylent Buddhi

I'd say 16+1! :)

It depends on the sequencer though, but most should sequencers offer the opportunity to do that without having to go through any noteworthy trouble!

Guest Elysium Project

I never think of things like that. I just feel my way ahead and do what I think is right and sound good.....

My solution is this:

Never think about the technical side when you compose a track just do what feels right for you... and remember this...there are absolutely no rules and recipies.....

Guest Elysium Project

2nd :-)

I used to study classical music when I was a teenager and the reason why I did not continue with it was because all the rules made my composing less fun and original. When rules become more important than your creativity then music (in my mind) is no longer honest and original..... So as I said in the message above...Just do what you want to....... Most great musicians and bands do that.

Look at The Beatles (I know they have nothing to do with trance but hey they are one of the reasons why we have electronic music today).

They never knew anything about the technical side of composing and they did not know how to read and write notes....... They just did what they felt like..... Imagine how the world would have looked like if it wasen't for such bands and Rock'n Roll.... We would never have had Disco, R&B, Blues ect... and that means that we would never have had Disco - House - Techno - Trance ect...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ehsanti Brahman

I totally agree with you Elysium Project! Its whats in your head thats matter. Do your thing as it suits you and rules are to be broken.