Bassdrum

i needed some help on making a good bassdrum ..

i mean, i have a bassdrum .. how do i give it more power?? ..

the sound as you hear in tracks of pro artists ..

do i have to add reverb or pass it thru filter or compression ...??

please help ...

love and light,

psybrat

Guest Slidingtrancer

Add reverb, but keep roomsize small and damp high, try and keep it between wet and dry... In addition you can use compressing to make it more pounding... Play a bit with the ADSR filter. A low Dmedium S a bit higher R between low and medium

I put my bassdrum in reason and there I make it perfect :P

You can really get the sound of pro artists like this ( believe it or not)

Guest Elysium Project

It is all about the way you set the EQ on yout mixer and first of all the sound of the original bassdrum (kick)..... I never use any room to make it sound better I use a good kick from the start and put the right amount of EQ on it..... That way it work...

I think reverb on a kick drum is making it weaker and muddier... but if I want to add reverb to kick I duplicate the file and EQ almost all frequencies below 300Hz and add reverb to that file... then I mix it with original kick.

:)

Guest Ravi (d\\\'être là!)

I don't advice ya to add any reverb on a kick...

The best to get a fat kick is to compress it and add some EQ (it depends of what sort of fatness ya want to obtain)...

Guest Slidingtrancer

Hmm maybe people got me wrong here, I dont do any roomsize on the reverb, just damp and I make it a little bit wetter and then I EQ. ( the first thing to do is compress)

thank you everyone for replying ... :D

btw, which software do you guys use to do all that EQing, reverbing and compressing on the bassdrum??

also,i did some research of my own ..

i noticed that the bass sound and the bassdrum are both low freq sounds ..

sometimes, these sound mingle and are not distinct ...

so one thing is for sure .. bass and bassdrum sound both must be considered during post production of song ...

one more thing ... around what freq should a bassdrum be ?? i mean .. like around 250Hz, and so on .. i know it varies from style to style but can someone give me some kind of idea on this ..

love and light,

psybrat

ICQ 37641929

Guest Elysium Project

In my opinion you should not focus so much on the technical side of the kick....Just do what you think sound good........ I have never bothered to get into the hz side of it...I just feel my way ahead until I am happy with the result...... I mostly use a completely dry kick directly into my mixer (Soundcraft "Spirit") and then I adjust the EQ's until I am satisfied with the result.........

this worx for me:

a lot of kick drums have a really fast attack @ around 500 - 5000 Hz (varying) - this is the initial 'click' of the kick that u usually hear,

try dropping the bass eq out abit - maybe 3 - 4 Db around 70 - 150 Hz.

this will give the actual bassline a little more drive and room to breathe, but still leaves the 'snappy-ness' of the kick.......

good luck ! : )

I wouldn't say a descent kick is in some particular spectrum area. A really stomping one which will make you lose your breath ranges in all frequencies - the click being just as important as the the bass-hum. I use my waldorf for my kicks, mostly fast sinussweeps from the filter. I know most of you guys will dizz me on this one, but try stacking different kicks... If the sounds mix properly, they won't phase each other out, but send you clutching and grabing yur chest :) - Listen to the track I entered in the contest Amygdala - Synaptic Misfire - not the first kick, but the one that comes in at around 2½ minuttes... or something - now there's a mean Waldorf-kick-in-the-nuts BD !!