Korg MS2000

Guest didge

Hey all.

I've had a Korg MS2000 for a while now, and am starting to get the hang of the synth (and it's a beauty). Just wondering a couple of things:

- is anyone using the ms2000 in psytrance (known or unknown)?

- how do i set up Cubase, with sixteen different patches? I can record in real time, and set up the different patch names, but each midi channel plays the same patch (which is the patch the synth is set to at the time).

Thanks,

didge.

Guest schism

you can't. the korg is only 2 part multitimbral and 4 note polyphonic. that means only 2 sounds at one time and four notes spread across those 2 parts. of course you can use program changes within your sequencer to "trick" it into doing more but that can be a pain...

i don't know of anyone using this synth. no offense but i don't really like it...what you need to do is look for some sort of a "multi mode" and then set a different midi channel per part and then make sure its the same on your sequencer.

visit www.sonicstate.com and www.the-gas-station.com to ask questions or get more info. everything should be in the manual as well, if you don't have it then you can dload it here http://www.korg.com/service/downloads.asp?..._PROD_NO=MS2000

bye!

Guest didge

thanks schism,

in a way, theres good and bad in what you said. I'm fucken pissed it can't do what i thought it could (16 different parts at once), but also kinda glad no one has got it (for the unique sounds I can get out of it).

I don't have any money right now, but when I do scrape some together, what do you suggest? I need some nice drum samples (cause that quicktime kickdrum just aint kickin heheh), and nice synth sounds and sound effects. Probably best getting a sound mod? or maybe another synth... only thing is i wanna be able to use shitloads of parts simultaneously in whatever i get - without spending much money.

Also, if I write a nice synth line, how's best to record it as audio, then loop in cubase?

thx mate.

Guest SplineCL

I whould recommend that you buy an Access Virus Rack. It's a pretty cheap rack version of the Virus synths. You get 8 parts and a drum map, and 16 voices( which should be enough to get you started ). It's a pretty powerfull synth compared to the price you pay. It gives you many sound shaping possebilities..where you are able to make all kinds of drum sound, synth leads and effects. You can also run external inputs through the proccesor and it also has a vocoder..check it out at www.access-music.de or www.vintagesynth.com

Guest SplineCL

by the way I started out the same way as you..I bought a Roland JP-8000, thinking that i could play many parts at the same time...then I heard about the Virus Rack..and bought it right away..so don't feal too bad..I'm still very glad that I bought the JP-8000, 'cause it has a much better sound then the virus..so in combination you get a really powerfull mini-studio..I use the Virus to lay down the basic drum beat, basslines and some leads, and use the JP-8000 for leads and FX...

thanks splineCL... It's encouraging to hear someone else start the way I have, and also for the info on the virus. I'll try and pick one up once I get a bit of cash.

Guest Andreas Chatzakis

Also check out the microQ. As for the drums you should use your PC for that or if you have money to spare get yourself a sampler with multiple outputs. But then you will also need a good mixing console.You dont need the lastest expensive megasampler. An Akai S2000 with the outputs expansion can be had for very litle money especially second hand.

• 2 weeks later...

About your Kick drum sounds too.. I suggest Beatnik: Psychedelic Trance and Goa. It's really hard to find good goa kicks. I seached the web for atleast 2 months and i couldn't find any good ones. the basic 909 just doesn't work for me. I prefer my bass kicks to sound like a really phat bassy blip, kinda like space tribes. Anyways that sample cd's got the best kick drum construction kicks in my opinion. Check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Elysium Project

I suggest you get a cheap used sampler so you can get your hands on the "real deal" kiks and drums........ 909 ect....

I know that many older AKAI samplers are very cheap right now......

By the way it is cool with all the new software synths but I still prefer to use hardware..... it just sound better and stronger.......... I have been making music for about 20 years now and what I have learned is that it is much better to have a small setup that you know well than a big setup that will take up all you time just to get the hang of it....... You need to make music not study for a years.

Also try to see if you can get your hands on some old retro rynths like Juno106, SH-101...they can still be found at extremely low prices at private homes where the people dont have a clue that they can sell the machines 100 times more expensive...

Rzxemember one thing...which I consider most important when you make music....... use your money on a good quality mixing desk.. If you buy something shitty your sounds and music will sound like @!#$ too... And also invest in a good effect processor...the mixing desk and the effect machine are 60% of importance for a good sounding track.....