Mahamudra > Astral Projection

Guest yanik

Hiya every1!

I am just curious as heard recently this tune entitled Mahamudra!. Does enyone know something more about this track??? Traditionaly an official AP website in silent about this topic ?! arhhh

Cheers,

Yanik

Guest Slavkovski

Full name:

Astral Projection feat. Zahava Ben - Mahamudra

Czesc Goa Bracie! Never heard this new track before.

Yanik, your IP states '.pl'.

Whereabouts in Poland is Psy-Trance popular? Are there many stores and/or parties there? I couldn't see any last time I visited.

Guest Jon Cocco

All I have to say about Astral Projection is that they used to be one of the very most great and innovative goatrance creators back in the early, mid, and yes... even LATE 90's!!!

What the hell happened? I wish I knew. And what the hell happened to PHONOKOL??? I wish I knew too. I guess when money talks its hard not to talk back. But if you have real passion for something, you shouldn't let anything destroy that because its who you are and who you are is priceless. I suppose AP was tempted and maybe more, because after their incredible 1999 release of Another World, things have been down hill from there. I think most of you agree.

Their last album, "AMEN" I think it was titled, was NOTHING compared to the beautiful, great and excellent stuff on AP's earlier Trust N' Trance, Astral Files, Dance Galazy, and Another World albums.

Their turn to more by-the-numbers, generic clubtrance or their change in style to psytrance also for clubs (even with their cool style, what style??? their style changed and didn't change for the better) has totally hurt their shimmer; their image, their magic, and much of their oldest fans I strongly feel.

I very much hope to see some incredible new full-length album that brings back there ambitious, imaginative, far-out, psychedelic-melodic creativity. Even their classic album SFX, with tracks from around 10 years ago, was more innovative, catchy, and addictive to listen to over their last album "AMEN" which wasn't entirely bad, (many tracks were repetitive and uninspired or just lacking in surprise and being catchy) but just not anything close to the greatness of "Another World."

Also, their so-called "mixed up" or double album before "AMEN" was nothing impressive, aside from several cool yet simple melodic club trance songs.

And I REALIZE they gotta keep up with the times and maybe they feel like they can't keep the classic goa sound forever, but shit... there are ways to get by this without making forgettable or less quality or catchy music. Its called TIME, IMAGINATION, and WORK. Being creative once again and pushing the limits!

Their old stuff, at least much of it was great. You can't say songs like KABALAH and Nilaya, amongst DOZENS of others weren't great for their times. Hell, Kabalah is classic!

I hope something very special is on the way but I have come not, I say NOT to set expectations or high hopes on Astral Projection anymore after their recent decline into less innovative styles and works of music. I once again hope for a revival. The first goatrance song I ever heard in my life was by AP. After hearing Kabalah I fell in love with goatrance and have always found the music of the universe; imaginative, classic ... and for some albums: ground breaking and unsurpassable! Some of AP's earlier work is unforgettable. I hope they surprsie us all but... well we can hope.

JC

PS: I no nothing of Mahamudra.

Guest Templar

ps. I read JC's post nad now one can be afraid to create a new topic and ask about the address of Phonokol's website... =]

Guest dj nadav

ok......

mahamudra is a track with the israeli singer Zehava Ben

and it was made in a program calls "9 hours and a song" in the israeli music channel 24.

its a colebration between two artists that have to make a song in 9 Hr.

and all the studio word had been shown (Astrals studio in liors house is realy amazing!!!)

the result came out realy great!

Astral Projection- Mahamudra, is an amazing song!

Guest Jon Cocco

I have now heard it. Took sometime to locate but I found it.

If, I repeat ... IF ... it was made in 9 hours, thats impressive. They did a good job!

Mahamudra is a very good dance club-trance song. The female singer has a very good voice. She carries it well, making it more catchy and her voice is beautiful and cool.

The track reminds me of some stuff I've heard off Astral Projections "In the Mix" double-album from several years back. It is very melodic and uplifting. I would not say its amazing or excellent or great, but if they pulled it off in 9 hours then that may be pretty amazing or rather great. This is probably their best song to come out in years, (but what else really has their been in the past year or two?) and I hear some familiar sounds in the backround that sound similar to some of their earlier work, but they are making different tunes and melodies obviously with similar sounds, not all but one or two I sounded familiar to me.

The downside is that its only 4:30 minutes long, but I'm glad it didn't go on any further because it starts to get repetitive towards the end, like it doesn't change or evolve.

Also, this song is obviously specifically made to dance to. The thing I loved about their earlier tracks like

Kabalah

Kabalah Newage Remix

Ionized

Niyala, Enlightened Evolution

Trance Dance

Liquid Sun

Still On Mars

etc...

...is that those tracks had more change of sound. You could listen to them on head phones but they seemed to be best to dance to. This new track is purely dance trance stuff. Its full of melodies and a nice beat and its uplifting with a good voice to carry it, but..

IF THEY COME OUT WITH A FIFTH or SIXTH album, I HOPE it isn't just a bunch of melodic dance trance tracks. Voice or no voice, I hope they incorporate the wild imagination, full-on psychedelic stuff, and interesting places that the song takes you, even if its intended to dance to.

This new track is more a good club trance song. Its not really psytrance in my opinion, but its nice something positive from AP after the last several fairly stale years.

Guest Slavkovski

Bardzo dzieki Templar za linki. It looks like a nice site. The Slavic world seems to be embracing Psy, and that is a great thing.

Astral Projection? Their best album for me is without doubt Trust In Trance (then Dancing Galaxy). For the record, Trust In Trance is 4.33 out of 5 in my detailed track by track estimation. Many tracks are almost perfect, and that is very rare. Timeless dream music.

It seems that all musical artists must peak and eventually decline. When you look at Astral Projection, they have given us more great music than most musical artists can ever dream of making in their creative lives.

I would agree with Slavkovski, Trust in Trance 3 was them at their raw best, followed by a slightly more polished Dancing Galaxy. Of course, Another World is also very good by normal standards, so is Trust in Trance 2, and the Astral Files. Quite an impressive list when you think about it (not to mention all the older compilation tracks they released in various places).

In The Mix wasn't really an album anyway, so I don't count it. But what about Amen? Well, discounting the first track, which I always skip, it's a pretty solid melodic goa/psy album. The only "problem" with it is that it's quite naturally being compared to their earlier outstanding works in the peak of their career. I think they have mellowed with age and lost some of that raw edge, so the album doesn't have the same spark or instant appeal that their earlier stuff did. Having said that, if some other artist put it out, how would it be received? Quite favorably I would think, expecially in this day and age when people routinely cry out for anything sounding like the "old days" ... anything with a hint of goa in it.

However, my reason for saying this is not to defend them in any way. People are of course entitled their opinons. My own feeling is just that it's not so bad, both for Astral Projection, and in general for Psytrance. I still have no trouble finding more stuff to buy than I can really afford, and I look foward to releases from artists like Astral Projection and Electric Universe because they are usually still pretty good and remind me of older times I look back on fondly.

As for this track "Mahamudra," never heard it and don't care to. I just hope that their upcoming album will not be pure club trance. I'm not expecting anything ground breaking, just hoping for something decent and goaish. Ideally, I imagine a varied album, without too many cheesy samples (see track 1 of Amen), with good melodies, no full on baselines, and just a touch of that inspiration they demonstrated back in the 90's. And hey, if in the mean time they can make some money by cranking out a couple of radio hits I'll never listen to, more power to them.

Guest Slavkovski

>>>>>It seems that all musical artists must peak and eventually decline.<<<<<<<

So the theory of all evolution following a bell-shaped curve could be a true after all. It appears that way for Psy-Trance. Well, what else can one say?

Lyrics in an Astral Projection track? And a 4:30 minute track? That track must only be a one-off according to the 9 hour track ‘program’ description.

I actually cannot stomach singing of any form.

An interesting view:

“I prefer trance to be instrumental. I think lyrics are a cop-out. Just a trick to get people to listen to it. Lets get back to serious music. We’ve had 30 years of three minute pop songs with lyrics, so I don’t want to hear any more.”

- Martin Freeland (Man With No Name)

I would agree with that.

Commenting on ‘In The Mix’, I believe there are actually a couple of exclusive mixes, some by Astral Projection themselves e.g. Flying Into A Star (Ast-Roid Remix), Free Tibet (Free Spirit Remix) etc.

The 12” version of ‘In The Mix’ is actually unmixed.

http://www.discogs.com/release/38664

“I prefer trance to be instrumental. I think lyrics are a cop-out. Just a trick to get people to listen to it. Lets get back to serious music. We’ve had 30 years of three minute pop songs with lyrics, so I don’t want to hear any more.”

I also agree with that. I find lyrics just plain irritating/distracting and usually pretentious or silly.

It's true there are a couple of exclusive mixes on In the Mix, but I still always think of it more as a mixed compilation rather than a real effort to release a true artist album full of new fresh material. Either way, it's my least favorite release I have by them.

Guest Slavkovski

>>>>>I find lyrics just plain irritating/distracting and usually pretentious or silly.<<<<<<<

What is there to sing about anyway? hehe

The instrumental nature of Psy-Trance, as well as the detail within the music sends me to places other than the normality of mass artificial clone culture. It sends me to unearlthy realms and higher planes.

How can one 'blast off 'listening to "La, la la la la!"

Are there any more experiments that can be done with singing?

Ofcourse Psy-Trance-esque tribal chants and the like are very acceptable.

I also forgot to say that 'Amen' was quite palatable in my opinion. Nothing like their previous work but pleasing nonetheless.

Guest Jon Cocco

I agree with Slavkovski and Khogg above. I don't want to see a new album with a bunch of club trance songs, even though this newer one is quite nice and catchy for a club trance song. An entire album of singng and/or clubtrance songs would probably cause me to jump through the window.

I believe the singing should be left to some, not all but SOME classical, world, Newage music. Actually, leave the majority of singing to pop, R&B, funk, hiphop, rock, etc..

I prefer no singing in goa/psy music. I do however really like the female echos in some of Mirandas tracks. She doesn't really sing with lyrics, but her or who ever's voice that is, (Northern Lights especially in the end) really accentuates the song. I also like some, not all but SOME samples, but those aren't singing of course.

In general however, the lyrics... for instance, Man With No Name... totally distract and hurt or ruin the song entirely by making it very difficult to place your mind, energy, spirt else where.

How can visual people visualize and imagine if someone is singing words to describe something that is entirely pointless other than to appeal to the general unaware "normal" club scene? Words even when inspirational usually hurt the overall experience and concentration on whatever it is you go when listening to this.

I like to be taken away, like in AP's Dancing Galaxy. I was totally gone and most of the time the lyrics will distract us from imagining whatever it is we imagine and/or feel when we're enjoying the song. I can't focus and fall or rather "get" into the music when their is lyrics in psy or goa music. It keeps me focused on the lyrics and the rest of the music in the song usually becomes secondary because of the distraction.

I also believe that like MFG, (what a horrible last release by them called "the message" ugh!) Astral Projection has had their peek by far. They have made many great songs, more than most artists every hope to accomplish in a life time, but can they have another peek?

I would rather wait years for something great then have them make something decent all at once within one or two years. Sometimes it is good to make a great track, and then, when some time goes by, you get some idea's and you have the energy to jump into it again and make another masterpiece. It may take AP more time because they're older but they are still the same creators, they can't be that old. I mean shit, how old can they be??? 1999 was only 5 years ago and their stuff then was EXTREMELY COOL!!!

It's true that the old days are history, the past is the past... but I believe that just like with music, as with movies for example, even a director can come out with his best work the older he gets because he has the passion gained wisdom that he had maybe not had as much of before.

The reality however with goa/psy music is that this stuff takes energy, wild ideas and lots of energy, time, ambition, and work... as people age some of that crazy energy of youth seems to fade. Some people never realize it in themselves that they have it until its too late and now they're fighting their older bodies lack of yourth. That adrenaline and wild energy seems to slowly fade as the years go by, but...

...the imagination is limitless and AP, like everyone else can make great tracks once again. I just hope that what we see is not another forgive me for saying, CRAPPY release such as I strongly felt Amen was. And of course people will compare "AMEN" to their peek in the mid-late 90's. How can we not compare when AP has proved to us how creative and great they really can be??? I never want to take a step backwards, and I hope that AMEN was simply a fluke, not in the good sense, since they seem to turn almost everything into gold that they've touched, music-wise.

later! :)

C'mon guys, AMEN is really not that bad ! It surely is not even in the same league as their other albums but it surely is not crappy. They changed the style and I feel bad about that, but they still delivered very good songs : ELECTRIC BLUE which was in almost the same old Astral style, THE NEXUS - psychedelic brilliant piece of music, INFINITE JUSTICE - another brilliant melodic work, CHAOS which was pretty good too, HEAVEN'S GATE , a bit smoother, gentler song but still very good...so, this is not a crappy album at all, just not classical...I give it 7/10