MIRACULIX - "The Arrival" - just released

Guest healium

So say the saikosounds newsletter - anyone have any info on this album?

I know people have been hyping and calling for a Miraculix album for some time now...

Guest necro

I heard the 4 min samples on saiko sounds and it sounds really good, kinda dark and very melodic...will definately buy it.

psynews and saikosounds both have it in stock........

Guest Jon Cocco

I already ordered this album. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, hehe, no pun intended. The samples at psyshop caught my attention. It sounds dark (cool, I like dark psytrance, as long as it isn't shit like the "Tales from the Dark Forest compilation) also it sounds somewhat melodic with intros or parts that are very atmospheric and interesting, like it doesn't just jump into the boom, boom, boom... or whatever you people call the hard beats nowadays. I hope its a good album and much work was put into ALL THE TRACKS. I FUCKING HATE WHEN PEOPLE ONLY MAKE 2 or 3 GOOD/GREAT tracks, but what I heard sounded cool so I won't bash what may turn out really cool!

Its just that I've been pretty disappointed lately since I bought that piece of shit comp-release, titled Tales From the Dark Forest. This new or maybe debut release Miraculix seems to have a more spacey, errie feel to it, and of course its dark so I HOPE it is GOOD or GREAT dark psytrance with rhythm and melody, not just a bunch of annoying twisted screetches and psy-sounds that so many artists seem to be cheaply throwing in nowadays. It seems that there is little innovation and rarely any truly good, and I mean BADASS, COOL dark psytrance nowadays, other than some Xenomorph here, and something else there. Hopefully Dark Nebulas almost released new album will be good.

Oh and I picked up the comp called "There is No Tomorrow." You can buy it on PSYSHOP right now. It is out on Alchemy Records too. It is a VERY B@DASS, cool, catchy, dark psytrance compilation, arguably the best I've ever heard as far as dark psytrance comps go. I suggest you guys look into that also at psyshop, there are samples and track 1, 4, 5, and the last track are fucking extremely evil, cool, good, and or great night time tracks. I shit you not.

Guest Nefarious

Detonator was ok, hopefully this will be better.

Jon old boy you need your fucking head examined if you felt that the "piece of shit comp-release, titled Tales From the Dark Forest" was no good! ( ;

The Ka-Sol track is so fuckin twisted and sick, it builds so well. I think all the other trax are cool, and as such deem it a tip top forest fucker.

Anyway each to their own eh?

Cant wait for Luna's next installment, even though the trax are not "new", just older ones and some unr stuff. Will be sick though, wait till you hear wasteland!! Got the 12" some time ago and its sooperb.

A fully fledged fresh and tasty album ought be along some time soon though i hear.

There is no tomorrow, what can I say, awesome comp. Once again the Dark Nebula track is brutal, as is Penta and Jelly Headz.

If you dig the dark side, and havent got it yet, i recommend the two Zen comps. Zen 2 came out recently and is easily as good as no tomorrow.

I cant believe you hated the stoneage comp!!!!

Someone post something about the Miraculix album once the whole alien infused mayhem has been digested and it hopefully bursts out of your chest and through your monitor!!! cheers.

Guest healium

Hehe, right on, thanks for the lengthy opinions, enjoy reading them!

I didn't like much of the Tales from the Dark Forest comp either, except for that Ka-Sol Track and the Siennis bit...

I haven't heard anything by Luna yet...

I too love wicked maximal stuff but the relentless beats turn me off these days, so I'm into the more prgressive stuff at this time...

What I want to hear is some stuff thats more laid back beat-wise, like a lot of the progressive stuff, but WAY more psychedelic and melodic than the progressive stuff.... Avoiding the boredom of progressive and the irritation of full-on...

Guest Alek

I opened a thread a while ago about dark psy trance... will do a new one soon. And for me Tales From the Dark Forest was one of the best comps of 2003... truly amaznig...

As for Miraculix... I really liked Detonator... I think The Arrival should be as good if not better... listened to some samples on his site...

Guest healium

I can't find "There is No Tommorow" on Alchemy records at Psyshop - can't find it anywhere actually - is that the right name?

Guest krize

INPSYDE MEDIA SHOW CART

Compilation:

There is no tomorrow (CD)

New grim psychedelic experience featuring unreleased tracks.

Style: Psytrance

Released: Mar. 2004/12

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ime/ime1cd006.html

Tarckliast;

1. In the night, in the dark

PENTA

2. Minimal Disaster

CATLA

3. Cleopatra Cannonball

DARK NEBULA

4. Pandoras Box

PSYSIDE

5. Escaliburs night

JELLY HEADZ

6. Evils Force

AZAX SYNDROM

7. 666

PSYFACTOR

8. Time Trap

DERANGO

9. Devil is in detail

IBEX

Guest Jon Cocco

People,

I have listened to this Miraculix CD. I must admit that while it is cool in general, and this is obviously music most appreciated at night I'd presume, and for dancing I'd say, the tracks don't seem as creative or catchy as I was hoping for. There are cool moments where a voice shouts, many altered voice samples and bits exist to give the impression that there are aliens or strangers around, but just about every track doesn't seem to waste time jumping into the fast beats and sounds with little substance. More of an introduction would have been nice but I suppose they want this to be very dance-floor friendly. The tracks are pretty long, and they do change up in variety of sounds, (usually for a bit before coming back to where they began or something simliar) but all too often, it sounds like the same melody and beat is so continuous and its just not catchy enough for me. Don't get me wrong, the CD is cool, but it seems a bit uninspired or rather it lacks to take risks. I don't expect the wild innovation and creativity that the super unique and risky "Scatterbrain - Infernal Angel" album so boldly took, but, well.. something risky and bold would have certainly been nice for this Miraculix album , which isn't risky or bold in comparison.

Like for instance, several minutes into some tracks, things slow down and we here a build up , like a whistle, (we know the track is about to take off) but what happens is that after the fired up lift-off sound, the track takes off into the same beat and melody (or something very similar) as before the lift off. It just isn't exciting and the anticipation feels wasted and dissapointing. Do you see what I mean? Some change in musical style or totally different morph and shift of sound into some layered melody would have been much better and raise the bar on these tracks.

As far as dark goes, this is more dark as in "night time," Yes okay, it is somewhat dark but not THAT dark. It isn't evil, dark psytrance, or horror either, which is fine by me. It does have dark sounds and we get the impression from the title tracks and voice samples that the tone sets.. is certainly not a friendly one. The alien theme gives the feeling that "they" are not are friends, so yea.. its dark but I've heard waaaay darker. Still, this isn't a whos darker competition, hehe... no pun intended. Basically, I think this album is decent, some tracks are better than others, and I think I may enjoy it more in time, but it is NOT GOOD. Maybe one or two tracks are fairly good for the dance floor, but as a whole, this is NOT GOOD. Maybe if it was released 6 or 7 years ago, but for a 2004 release, I was expecting something more interesting, original, ambitious... heck, they got it right with the cover. If only the tracks were this catchy.

I feel a DECENT amount of mixing and time has gone into this. Although with all the sound clips, melodies, shakes, and other swishing sounds, I feel a more strong melody with RHYTHM in some songs could have really enhanced and made many songs MUCH more memorable. Like in track 6 for example, the intro starts off interesting, but then the beat comes in and the sounds just aren't anything interesting or catchy. It grows tiresome and repetitive until 3:00 into the song. Some layers of melody come in, and once again the track lifts off and the melody changes a bit, but the beat remains the same, with the same bops and clicking sounds. But wait, at 6:00 into that same track, the music stops and I'm wondering where this will go to, some booming bass comes on and things get interesting, but as the song lifts off yet again, and although the sounds change a bit, it is the same beat, and its more like musical notes following the beat as opposed to an actual song of melody and rhythm, such as what Dark Soho and Infected Mushroom have done to such outstanding degrees.

My problem with this CD is that the sounds usually jump around the beats, but they don't seem to bring direction to the song, (they don't make the song change, they just come and go) rather the sounds and melodies seem to fill in around the beats as opposed to the beats compensating the sound by changing more than the sound directs the way that the song goes. Does that make any sense? This CD just doesn't impress me like other dark albums. I feel the beat and music (melodies) need something more, maybe twisted and layered differently, but INTO RHYTHM that is CATCHY, not just stomping and fast and consistent for most of the track when the track isn't stopping for a cool interlude or middle breaking point before resuming again, albeit not nearly as interesting or just the same.

Anyway, I realize I might sound harsh for those who like this album. I also realize I have only heard this once and some of it is quite interesting, fast, energetic, and catchy in its own way. I think this album needs to be listened to more than once or twice because CD's never establish them selves on the first listen. However, I KNOW a catchy tune or melody that sticks in my head right away when I hear one. I had NO PROBLEMS when I listened to CYDONIA - IN FEAR OF A RED PLANET for the first time, or Astral Projection - Another World, Dancing Galaxy. I was impressed with that Cydonia album, every Infected Mushroom album, and especially Pleadians - I.F.O., Hell... even Dark Soho - Sunspot and Combustion, are good examples of mixing catchy melodies, voices, and creating a structured rhythm, along with the stomping beats and twitchy, clicky psy-sounds existing as well. Miraculix has cool sounds and the tracks are pretty full-on I'd say, but it desperately is in need of more catchy, flowing, distinguishable melodies and rhythm.

Well, I'd be curious to hear peoples thoughts on this one. I really do feel that its not a bad album, it is cool for what it is and I wouldn't say one track is bad, but this style, whatever you want to call it... this release by Miraculix sounds waaaay too "by-the-numbers." It doesn't explore the themes in that it seems to be holding back what it could have been in sounds and possibly a more dark and especially evil tone as well. I may sound critical but when I listen to a CD I spend 15-17 dollars for, I look for innovation, things that haven't been done, or at least give me something really good, greally great that stands out so much, other than a pretty good track for the dance floor because of the bass line and stomping beats. X-Dreams - Radio, was innovative; Xenomorph was innovative for its time, even Sandmans first album was very unique and had character and memorable moments that have stuck in my head. Miraculix may work on the dance floor, but it is lacks originality and great (or in my opinion, really good) listening tracks, even if they're aimed for the dance floor and are not supposed to be overly deep or intricate.

Have a nice day :)

JC

Guest Nefarious

Detonator was ok, I can without listening to the arrival, perhaps in some long drawn out repetitious way see where JC is coming from. he he

But sweet jesus friend of joseph porker of mary...... how can you spend an afternoon writing about Miraculix and then totally disregard the Tales from the dark forest comp!!

I will not rest until you acknowledge its greatness... ( :

Detonator sounded crisp, sci-fi, and well, kinda cold. Last few trax were ok.

What other releases have you obtained lately, and why did you buy new Miraculix without hearing or at least checking out what others thought of Detonator?

Wouldnt mind hearing that Cydonia though?

Anyway I recommend:

Hyper Frequencies - Red crystal....

E.S.T - 1 and 2 Doof comps (reviewed nicely around here lately)

Trold - once upon a... (lovely shroomy bubbly fungus stuff)

Anything on Parvati, anything on Digital Psionics (how fukin sweet was Scatterbrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Parasense - past present...(in fact anything connected with them or Russia, ie Fungus Funk, Kindzadza, Freaking, etc )

Rinkadink - Rabitt from...(makes all the right moves does this one...)

Anything on Timecode - Especially Artifakt and Shift( fukin genius......sheer)

Klangbilderzeuger - any (not one for proggy stuff but this slams..)

Give the Stoneage comp another try, otherwise see you pharmacist.

Guest Jon Cocco

Nefarious -

Well hello whatever country you reside in.

For starters, I tried to listen to Detonator by Miraculix but I had trouble on every site I found samples. Okay, so where to begin.. you asked the recent stuff I got? Ahh, well I recently bought Dark Soho's second album, which I really like but Sunspot did more for its time as far as being striking and impressive in the new dark sound of Soho.

I also have gotten Scatterbrain - Infernal Angel, Cydonia - In fear..., and "Miraculix's new album as you know, and as I'm beginning to regret. Not that its bad, but I always look for more, something very different, and yes... I did the whole sci-fi theme and atmospheric stuff too, but here it just grew tiresome on me because the music lacked something more catchy to listen to, not just dance to.

However, I REALLY, and I do mean REALLY like Scatterbrain because it takes risks, constantly changes, lots of dark, twisted, melodic, and intriguing parts, sounds, voices, even FEMALE SINGING. And it has rhythm when it wants to, it has progression and it is so unpredictable, dark, and RANDOM. The sound samples are crazy and completely nuts, randomly placed and eccentric, its just great, crazy stuff!

About Tales from the Dark Forest. I listened to it again. I AGREE with you that the KA-SOL track (track 7 I believe) is the best one on there for sure. I like it more towards the final 3 minutes when it gets more layered with harsh sounds and such, but it is a pretty good track for me, and yes it is dark. The problem I FEEL, is that the other tracks don't come close. The nice melody in track 2 is cool, like bells ringing with echoes or something similar sounding to add melody, but the tracks just seem very repetitive for me, like lots off cool scratchy sounds and swishing noises do not make the song good or cool, even if you consider it good or cool for you. But to each their own like you said. At least I do agree with you on the KA-SOL thing you said.

I really like lots of changes, variety, musical moments, melody, etc... and even in DARK stuff, sometimes some occasionally insane, evil dark music is the perfect stuff, but you've gotta be in the mood. I REALLY was impressed by Xenomorphs 2nd album, which I recommend if you like dark, evil psytrance. It wasn't as sick and psychotic as their first album, but the production and mixing was totally stepped up with more marturity than ever before. Xenomorphs second album is called Qlippoth, maybe you've heard it, but if you haven't, well... !

For the record though, I just don't like the Tales comp, ESPECIALLY when compared to the recent comp which is if you've heard it already, its called "There is NO Tomorrow." But as much postitive stuff as I say about one comp over the other, I firmly state that NOT even THAT "There is no tomorrow" comp has all good tracks either, yet some are great and most of them are decent and/or good. Regardless, it does have SEVERAL very VERY dark, evil, melodic catchy ones that really take off and know how to remain interesting, not only cool and fun to dance to. Just listen to the first track on that comp, track 4 and track 5... they are menacing, full of rage and adrenaline-smashing hits and breaks with varaity of sound changes and voices, tons of mixing, and the first track is epic, (with parts reminding me a little of the first SANDMAN album, but thats just some sounds in parts of the first song) the whole super-good or great first song morphs multiple times in what could have been several shorter, dark songs. The mixing and imagination is very nice.

Anyway, I agree with you that Scatterbrain is VERY good or great stuff. That is an example of what I like, I like stuff that shows that the artist/creator REALLY spent time making it different, but didn't forget how to make it catchy and crazy and innovative too, which takes TIME and SKILLS and an imagination that I just don't feel most artists care to use or have.

I also have had the Rinkadink album for some time now. It is cool, funky, dark, random, etc... its pretty good, but I wasn't as impressed or surprised with it as I thought I might be. Nonetheless, its pretty cool stuff and one of the better releases of 2004.

And yes, that Cydonia CD which I recently got on psyshop is something to have in any collection for its time or release in 98 or 99 I believe. After track 1 is over, and not including the slower last one (I am critical but try to remain open but I usually compare... both first and last track is okay at best) yet most of the middle tracks, especially track 2 and 3 for instance, are VERY AMBITIOUS in design, sound, layers, mixing, energy, crazyness, force, etc.. Track 3 changes so many times, the sounds are so intricate and layered, it reminded me a bit like stuff I LOVED on Pleiadians - I.F.O. classic first release. I would say Pleiadians first album WAS better overall, but Cydonia was much more than I had expected for something released 5 years back! Actually it is one of the best albums I've bought in the last year for sure, and yet I would not even consider that to be excellent, since not every track is excellent, but whatever, you see I'm critical after listening to years of this music, I have come to compare and look for new music which pushes the limits and impresses, I want something ground breaking for our time now, and I don't think another Sphongle album is going to do it. I want something more, and as much as I liked IM's last EXPERIEMENTAL side on Converging Vegatarians, not even that impressed me as a whole due to the TRANCE side, which was good for what it was, (had several super cool tracks) but NOTHING CLOSE TO CLASSICAL MUSHROOM. So yea,... I wanna see artists spend the TIME to make something amazing but it seems that the simple dance floor, club shit is the thing that brings in the $$$ now adays and thats why so many artists are getting lazy or selling out, because this great music we speak of just doesn't sell as much as it deserves to, ya know?

Lastly, I don't wanna write reviews on anything, I just got Miraculix and felt like I had to blow off some steam because the CD wasn't good to me, and it wasn't what I was expecting. Its just very repetitive, even with all the lift off parts, and little psy-sounds, it feels like stuff I've heard a million times. Maybe I just don't like this style, but I love AP's sci-fi stuff and even their first release of SFX, but that was melodic as heck, and for its time of course. Oh, and I just went to psyshop while typing this letter right now and I can't stream Detonator, the first album by Miraculix. I don't think I knew that Miraculix had a previous release. Anyway, when you go to psyshop, the older albums say [ high / low ] and for some reason it won't play if I download them. I don't feel like bothering because it is so much easier to just click on the little blue "mp3" button and let it instantly stream right there in seconds. I wish psyshop would change over their older albums from two years plus back, so that it would be up to date. It used to work a year back, but for some reason this new change from [low - med - high ] sampling options does not work with my cpu, thankfully the new one does work so I can stample anythng that says [ real / mp3 ] or I would very much listen to that first album by Miraculix you mentioned above.

One album who's samples really impressed me recently is FOUR CARRY NUTS. It just came out and if you wanna know what I'm talking about when I say MELODY and CATCHY, just go to psyshop right now and sample track 7 right now! The track is called Pendulum. Now THAT is what I call a GREAT sample of GREAT music. Hopefully that track is just as captivating and beautiful, powerful, and impressive. I'll try to check out the other ones you mentioned above. This letter was much longer than I meant it to be. I gotta go! Listen to that sample by Four Carry Nuts, even track 1 sounds pretty impressive, I'd be curious to hear what you thought if you get around to it.

Have a nice day. :)

Jon Cocco

Guest Alek

I don't like the new Miraculix... too melow compared to Detonator... and the production quality seems to be WAY worse (?!)

Ok USA. Not much psy there innit? Meself live in sweden, we got some decent artists here, Miraculix is one of them ;). Noticed we share the same opinions about this subject. I've truly missed your type of posts on about every forum i visit. :)

That "Pendulum" track sure was intresting! I've searched alot for this sort of sound. Think it reminds me of some Dark Soho, but this with more classical influences.