Apoc Modern Psytrance

Guest Zachary Morris

I've been a fan of Goa for quite a while... I've always liked the fun groovy chill out goa which is a little funny and goofy sounding. I've also like the spiritual sounding samples beautiful melodies and vibes, and futuristic sounds that remind me of sci-fi movies. The best stuff was the most uplifiting.

The repetitive beat I respect as a meditation and prayer as the buddhist monks

and shamans have practiced. Herein lies it's power.

Nowadays it seems to me, the most popular sound is the cold hard dark toxic negative scary evil sound. Many artists nowadays are making music that feels horrible, that feels destructive and filled with malice. The power of the music is extreme. The baselines that vibrate at 560 BPM which are reinforced by 140 BPM consitancy have a very powerful effect on the psyche... for some reason.

Why is it these days it's "IN" for the music to be all about DISTURBING the dancers? Why would anyone want to dose up on psychoactive drugs and listen to violent DISTURBING music which communicates an apocoliptic intent?

I can see that the power is perhaps facinating... But why the sinister sound? WHY? What happened to feeling good?

Guest Xeno

I understand u perfectly.

But take for example Xenomorph: DarkPsy Trance, scary sometimes!!

But it stills makes me dance so much with a big smile in my face!

Or Noma: Minimal Dark Terror! But it´s so Beeeaaaautifullll

i think the problem is that nowadays there are fewer artists releasing music with a quality positive vibe, so what happens is that ppl just overload of this "negative" trance!

That´s why uncounsciously or not i try to do a "balanced" set when i make my own compilations to listen in my discman or my car, ranging from oldchool goa to psy to prog (i dont like full on).

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect...

PLUR

"Why is it these days it's "IN" for the music to be all about DISTURBING the dancers? Why would anyone want to dose up on psychoactive drugs and listen to violent DISTURBING music which communicates an apocoliptic intent?

I can see that the power is perhaps facinating... But why the sinister sound? WHY? What happened to feeling good?"

I think it's because music makers (psytrance in this case) are younger nowadays than they were 10 years ago.

Guest healium

I agree.. The dark sound is so cliche...

99% of all Psytrance I've heard has like no sense of humour, it's SO serious...

Exceptions to this that I can think of are Rinkadink - Rabbit from Darkside, Hux Flux - Cryptic Crunch, and Psysex - Hardcore Blastoff...

Those albums have a "dark" sound in many ways but there's a lot of levity and tongue-in-cheek vibe to it.. Wish more trance was like that...