Cat. #: TRANR648CD

Release date: 23rd. February

Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 08’21” Aphid Moon – Superfly

02. 06’37” Error Corrective – Secret Lab

03. 07’35” Fortu - Fiver

04. 07’53” Compressor – Saw Dust

05. 08’20” Dino Psaras – Daisy Cutter (Remix)

06. 08’11” Voice Of Cod – Art Of Feng Shui

07. 06’52” Tristan – Dawn Raider

08. 08’36” Mumbo Jumbo – Mystereons (Annarchy vs. Dickster Rmx)

09. 08’41” Cosmosis & Mumbo Jumbo – Just Say Now (The Melodic Mumble)

Review:

I usually stay clear of compilations sporting the words “Trance” or “Psychedelic” – and U.K. label Transient is notorious for committing just such crimes… But the track list on this looks damn appealing… Ranging from up and coming talents to well established dinosaurs of the UK psytrance scene…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Some bands just have a very distinct, unique sound, and Aphid Moon is one of them…The signature sound is very much present in this blasting opener … Actually, it’s jaw-breaking boring at first, but then it slooooooowly, but steadily builds into a massive wall off sound. What an amazing, rolling, long-lived, dark monster of a build-up… Oh yes, this will definitely turn some heads! Ace track!

#02: Alright, Error Corrective launches straight into psy-madness a couple of seconds into the track… I have no idea who these newbies are, but they sure know how to make gritty, dirty night time trance… I like the use of crystal clear, yet dark industrial sounds – kinda like a secret lab from a Bond flick, stashed deep inside a mountain… Cool track!

#03: Fortu, another newcomer slips us a fiver… Thanks mate! This is another, driving track that builds and builds all the way from start to finish… Actually, the first 3 minutes isn’t all that… But the rest, more than makes up for it… Anyway, it has these amazing synth lines, which will just blow you away… This is to be played very loud, very late at night, in dark, deserted warehouses… This will haunt you! Cool track!

#04: More n00bs – this time London gangsters Compressor, with some saw dust… Check out the very familiar melody @ around 3’00 – nice. This is yet another driving little beast of a track… This fits in perfectly after the two building, driving night tracks before it… This continues in the same path, with even more building going on… This is Bob the Builder of UK trance! There is some serious, hard-core tweaking going one here, so this should satisfy any night time acid fan… I like it anyway – cool track!

#05: “It could not be repaired or restored” – Not a problem, let Dino remix it then! Yes it’s old-timer Dino Psaras, and he still knows how to make fresh, innovative trance… Remember those hard-hitting horror-elements from some of the old Cydonia tracks? Well, they’re still here – This is somewhat dark and tribal, yet ol’sKo0L funky and twirly with lots of diversity… I really like the percussion work here – oh, and funky ass bass line too… Great track!

#06: Voice Of Cod [which has Colin from O.O.O.D. as a member] gives us this jolly old morning-stomper… It kicks of with all kinds of weird animal-samples… Hehe, very funny – someone been sipping on grandpa’s magic monkey juice, eh? This is another cool track, packed with oriental samples, rock solid, full on melodies, funky experiments and Bruce Lee samples… What else do you need? Solid track!

#07: Another usual suspect, this time it’s good old Tristan – the renowned morning maestro! This is such an epic track… Well chosen name – this fits right in at dawn… Approaching the full on UK morning sound from a tech’y angle... There is so much going on here – all kinds of happy melodies, change of pace, bouncy bass…Aaah, this is so damn good! Especially the last couple of minutes really tickle me right where I like it! Mmm… Smashing track!

#08: Green nun Dick Trevor remixing Mumbo Jumbo… Looks pretty awesome on paper, doesn’t it?! Actually this is a lighter version of the original tune from last year’s ‘Speaking In Tongues’ album… This is kinda like a dogma version – lots of stuff have been peeled off, and then carefully rebuild with lots off different percussion, making it more tribal, thus hanging on to the super cool original melodies. This isn’t all that, but it’s still a cool track!

#09: Ahh, just listen to those wonderful artificial drips in the intro… You get an instant flashback to the original, classic Cosmosis/MumboJumbo track from 2000… Has it been 4 years already? Time flies when you’re having fun! ;o) This has been reworked by Transient’s own DJ Kuma and he’s done a pretty good job messing around with the crown jewels… He hasn’t changed too much – the basics are still intact… Slightly reworked melodies and some layers have been replaced by others… This is a good old classic in a new outfit… I just can’t say no to this… Ace track!

The UK scene is definitely back with a vengeance… We’ve seen a lot of solid released from the Anglo-Saxons lately, and this one is another stomper showcasing the rich, diverse talent of both well established big names and fresh new comers… What a great mix of new and old, ranging from jolly melodic marvels to dark, disturbed night tracks. You really get you moneys worth here.. I’m guessing we’ll hear a bunch of these tunes on the festivals this summer… There is so much great stuff here. Recommended!

8/10

Favourites: 1 (!), 5, 6, 7 (!!), 8

DeathPosture

External links:

Label: www.transient.com

Psyshop: www.psyshop.com (soundclips available)

• 11 months later...

UK TRANCE

TRANSIENT

1. APHID MOON - SUPERFLY

2. ERROR CORRECTIVE - SECRET LAB

3. FORTU - FIVER

4. COMPRESSOR - SAW DUST

5. DINO PSARAS - DAISY CUTTER RMX

6. VOICE OF GOD - ART OF FENG SHUI

7. TRISTAN - DAWN RAIDER

8. MUMBO JUMBO - MYSTERONS ( DICKSTER RMX )

9. COSMOSIS & MUMBO JUMBO - JUST SAY NO ( MELODIC MUMBLE )

Here is one of the last compilations released on Transient records last year. I quite like this compilation cause it has different genres on it. It starts with very good APHID MOON - SUPERFLY psychedelic stomper. It is one of the best on compilation and it totally reminds me on old psy music and no wonder cause one guy from Dimension 5 made this track. STUNNING. Then come three songs by new commers that are actually nice. SECRET LAB is pretty good psychedelic song and you can hear that was made by new commer. FIVER is just decent, nothing more. Then comes SAW DUST, full on song, but pretty good construction. I don't mind at all being full on. Then comes pretty good melodic remix of very good song and to my surprise he didn't make it deviant which he tends to do in general. It is among highlights of the compilation for sure. ART OF FENG SHUI is pretty good too, but it could have been done better considering that one guy from OOOD was involved in it. DAWN RAIDER is classical Tristan gem, psychedelic and smooth and right for the morning. Then comes very good remix by Dick Trevor, one third of Green Nuns to the pretty good song MYSTERONS. It is funky psy remix at its best. But then comes second best on the disc, JUST SAY NO, amazing melodic piece of music, very enchanting by the end, and I like it very much. So, this is actually good compilation from last year cause it only consist three full on songs that are even nice cause it is british trance and they don't tend to make too much in your face full on. Get it cause it is worth for Aphid Moon, Dino Psaras, Tristan, Mumbo Jumbo and Cosmosis tracks...8/10