shitty trance > goa

"I also can see why someone call that genious, because that is what he is looking for in psy music, but more soft, minimalist songs are also genius if they can create a atmosphere that will hit you either"

my words

even though i must admit i'm not completley sure where to set the line between minimalistic, progressive, full on etc nowadays

Guest volvox box

There is no THEORY for this world! So dunno if is ok to make theories for the people or the music, the truth cannot be taken as one if taken in global. Every one creates its own reality, its own prison over here. What makes us say that animals are more stupid than us, when no one of us has ever seen the world from the animal body, no one of us hasnt seen the world from the other human's body. So it leaves that its all about the TASTE, how many humans that many loves : to music, to the world and so to eon. The music always evolved but there were always artists that created music from love and ones that create it for survival. Which ones you choose is again a choise of your taste. Also belong the artists there are always ones that have enouph of creating the same thing again and again, and copying and copying, so they experiment and people dont really accept their music because its not their habbit or because (its psychedelic) too weird for a begining. It was like this when a small group of people that called themselves neohippies gathered to celebrate the nature in the sound of GOA, but a few years more and more liked their way of living, more and more came to this beauthifoul gatherings, so now we have some hybrid styles of GOA that we listen today and when i gather to celabrate its not that same vibe overthere that i used to feel before, so i wait for another style of music that will take me on again to the divine ride.

Hey i believe cryion has a point here, though perhaps his point was not very eloquently pointed out by him.

I think having some level of disgust and repulsion and the willingness of the 'masses' nowdays to consume corporate engineered music.....that has effectively removed the creativity and art out of what is an art form music is understandable. if anything the very poor quality of maistream music nowdays coupled with the massive market it has is a litmus for the sad state of affairs that society is experiecing, that is a fall in critical aesthetic experience.

From my experience most people that i know who listen to psy-trance listen to it because they love intelligent music. Music that can challenge you, music that is innovative, using new sounds, new melodies, rythms. While it is true that different music is good for different times, it is also true that for everytime there is music that is intelligent, exploratory, inventive and inspiring. It can hip hop/rap, psy-trance/ rock etc etc. But '50 cent', your average highstreet rock band or some commerical trashy club trance all that have been produced with little artisitc integrity and with big sales in mind.....will fail to inspire in any context. One has to wonder why people are so willing to listen to shit like that? Maybe they are not stupid.....but one must doubt there critical abilty in appreciating and understanding music as a form of artisitc expression, as a medium designed to explore the world we live in and interpret it.

well, necro, I'm just an austrian guy with school-english-knowledge. so it isnt always easy for me to express myself the way i should. especially when it is about topics like that one. but u definitley got my point. thnx for your comment

Guest Blaaargh

"From my experience most people that i know who listen to psy-trance listen to it because they love intelligent music. Music that can challenge you, music that is innovative, using new sounds, new melodies, rythms."

I would totally agree with you if only it wasnt so that I completely disagree that psytrance is ANYTHING of what you listed above! :P

Whats challenging about GMS? Who is using new sounds today? I´d be pleased to hear about truly innovative psytrance. Please give me some examples.

u must also keep older stuff in mind. maybe psytrance released in the last time isnt the most innovative, but we are not only talking about that kind of psytrance ;)

amazing how no one can resist talking about gms..what does this say? Sure most people are doggin them, but it makes them all the more popular in some ways! a bit of scandal never hurts fame...

I hear the concept of this thread and here's the thing. Psychedelic trance and Goa had a moment of invention, so naturally there were no rules and many things were attempted. GMS really turned on a lot of people and their parties with a BIG sound, well, thats what it's about right? some rockin parties (the last in San Fran was a bit 'ravey' for my taste, but I was there and I will go again). It's not meant to be anything else than drug party music, so I don't know why people complain that it's not for home listening!

The challenge is this, that cd sales are pretty bad these days (yes, really) and uh, how many burnt copies of music do we all have? a few to be sure....

since many people are burning (well, it was never meant to be commerical anyways, back in the DAT days at least...) the labels WILL NOT take any adventurous or experimental music, they ignore you, because they need products that will sell. Anyone else notice the ratios? More burning=less interesting music...hmm...they can't really afford anything else....

so if you want to survive, get international gigs and live up to the trancestar lifestyle you have to suck it and make more generic music 'like those other guys that i heard were rakin it in'

many promoters and artists just want to make money. well, news is magical experiences and money don't mix, so as long as there is a focus on making a buck, the music will have that 'pseudo-gms' sound.....why? because the're workin it and everyone else wants a piece of that pie!

....and of course, trance has become a genre and has taken on an existence where it did not exist.....and then so much romanticism of the 'old days' of music....welll, some of the production from those days sounds like CRAP compared to now.....and if people want to regain that 'feeliing' then I recommend:

forget everything you think you know about trance

go on some adventures in the world and see some exotic and nautrally psychedelic things

be thankful and appreciative that there are parties and friends and forums

support musicians and artists and people contributing to the scene ANYWAY you can. burn a cd? send the poor fuck 10 bucks....thats walking the talk.

go to some other dance parties and remind yourself why trance parties are pretty cool.

the only one having the experience is YOU so if you feel unsatisfied find what you like!

make music, dj paint deco, whatever....doing really gives the best knowledge of what is quality....(you also will see how ingrained the new school trance sound is ingrainged in your brain when you try to make a few riffs!)

think about the word 'psychedelic' and what it means to YOU.

trance has become more about entertainment than an experience, so the reason the music sounds a certain way or that parties are a certain way is mainly because there is a different focus.......not about an exaulted mind-expanding journey into the unknown.

how did this post get so long? ah well, I guess I care about all this enough to spew this rant.

Guest Blaaargh

Im with you eel, nice rant.

I liked this part the best, I support it to a 100% and Im kind of eager to hear a lot of wankers protest against it.

"It's not meant to be anything else than drug party music, so I don't know why people complain that it's not for home listening!"

OK straight and sober guys and girls, bring it on. Tell me how you can enjoy the music without drugs and get over with it. :P

And forgetaboutit.

Guest SourMilk

Its wonderful to like other music genres, it reminds me how different is the experience of being at a psy party, if I submit myself to only psy music, Ill get burn. But if I just supply the right ammount of dose, It will still be growing in me, no matter if Im 24 like Im now, or 42.

Guest Forrest funk

"It's not meant to be anything else than drug party music, so I don't know why people complain that it's not for home listening!"

- Yeah!!! I'm with you. Thats what its all about- getting lost and having a good time.

For all you sober people out there...sorry!!! you have missed half of the idea with psytrance - you'll never be able enjoy the psychedelic side of the music... cos it's something that can never can be explained or understood, unless it's experienced...

Unfortunately todays "psy music" is as psychedelic as West life and therefore very enjoyable for the boring straight edge wankers that are invading the scene. And since the labels have to make money they release more boring music that boring people loooooves... and its a downward spiral. More shitty music, more shitty people, more crappy club parties, more money, more party promotors who wants to be a coooool guy. The cool guy gets so gooool that he starts doing coke, turns into a complete asshole, enjoys GMS, does more coke, listens to more GMS thinks it "very psychedelic", does more coke, makes some money, Goes to Ibiza does more coke, meets GMS, tells them that he loves their "new cool sound". Does a party where 2000 sober ( or maybee drunk ) wankers goes as wild as drunk wankers can go. Does some more coke and say to himself: "yeah... that was a really wild and psychedelic party", does an other line of coke...

what the hell i'm i writing... i've lost it. Another example of how dangerous acid can be ;-)

Anyway enjoy your booooring GMS music, your "soooo psychedelic" sober lifestyle. The scene is dead, the music is booooring.

Guest benevolent demon

Well i think different kinds of music require

different methods of listening to it...i liked progressive

trance back when I was first getting into the American rave

scene and that stuff does work the hypnosis bit but after

awhile seemed to put me into a melancholic ennui...

i got more into

experimental music and dub reggae-- and liked more of the concept

of music that works the visual circuits more than the emotive...

I went back and decided to buy some old acid house cds

(early aphex twin and plastikman)

and cheap goa compilations and realized how this was emotive

and visual..part of me realized that psy trance was doing what aphex twin

and squarepusher were doing but creating something that one could

simultaneously dance to and visualize a story line..

not to say there is not commercial trance that does this--- but most of

it jut seems to be bent on emotion and dancing which explains why most people who like it are really into ecstasy... i stopped doing ecstasy

after hearing "the gathering...(focused more on shamanistic plants...coincidence? perhaps...)..thats just my story however dont know if it happens with

everyone like that

Guest benevolent demon

Well i think different kinds of music require

different methods of listening to it...i liked progressive

trance back when I was first getting into the American rave

scene and that stuff does work the hypnosis bit but after

awhile seemed to put me into a melancholic ennui...

i got more into

experimental music and dub reggae-- and liked more of the concept

of music that works the visual circuits more than the emotive...

I went back and decided to buy some old acid house cds

(early aphex twin and plastikman)

and cheap goa compilations and realized how this was emotive

and visual..part of me realized that psy trance was doing what aphex twin

and squarepusher were doing but creating something that one could

simultaneously dance to and visualize a story line..

not to say there is not commercial trance that does this--- but most of

it jut seems to be bent on emotion and dancing which explains why most people who like it are really into ecstasy... i stopped doing ecstasy

after hearing "the gathering...(focused more on shamanistic plants...coincidence? perhaps...)..thats just my story however dont know if it happens with

everyone like that