150 BPM or more !!

I was just listening to "distant lights" from Ethereal and i was wondering why i love it so much besides the facts that the kick isn't in the couple first plans..

And i just realized it was right in my face !! The Bpm is really high, about 150-152 bpm ! And i was thinking to more tracks i really like and there's a lot of them which are around 150..

So i'm looking for some more tracks/artists who plays good psytrance/goa/goatrance at around 150 bpm ??

thanks !

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

The BPM calculations doesn't have to be the way 'we think of it', ie. a 146 bpm piece can be edited at 'half speed' meaning an 8th note will sound as a 16th note, a 16th as a 32nd etc., so the result would end in a 73 (146/2) bpm composition.

Therefor metallicas MOP when measured at half speed would be 110 bpm.

Voila.

/FF*

Guest cubensis

IMO the fasted one can get is 150- 160, the rest is just a myth.

There is hardcore that is 200-800 BPMs!

Of course once you get above 400 BPMs the beat starts to sound more like a continuous drone.

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

Lemmi: Its beats per minute, not kicks per minute.. Some people prefer to work on double tempo in their sequencer because it gives them more options to create more notes within a beat.

/Feeding Frenzy

Guest Kiph T. Elephant

"so then what would account for a "beat" if it isn't the kickdrum??? Don't tell me that highhats count as beats??"

I guess a beat isn't necessarily any specific sound. It's just the way the track is divided. Go to google and find info about time signatures. There you can probably find an explanation what a beat is.

Guest SourMilk

oh its like when you pick up the rythm snapping your fingertips, you regularly pick when the snare sounds, now the bpm would be the double of that...I guess..

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (one bar/measure... contains sixteen 16th notes or eight 8th notes or.. well you get it...)

Trance beat:

X _ _ _ X _ _ _ X _ _ _ X _ _ _ ...kickdrum (every 4th note)

_ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ ...snare (every second time with kickdrum starting from second 4th note)

Rock/Pop/Metal beat:

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...kickdrum (every 2nd note)

_ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ ...snare (every 2nd note starting from second 4th note)

Drum 'n' Bass beat 1:

X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ ...kickdrum (uneven)

_ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ ...snare (every 2nd note starting from second 4th note)

Drum 'n' Bass beat 2:

X _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ...kickdrum (uneven)

_ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ X _ _ _ _ _ ...snare (uneven)

So you see there is more stuff in trance beat..... BPM in Drum 'n' Bass is usually somewhere between 160-180 but it doesn't sound silly because the kickdrum is not so constant and rapid.

I think you could say that the BPM comes from how meny 4th notes you have in within one minute.

Of course those were just simplistic examples and you can make the beats more complex and groovy.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Just take a clock and look at it.

In a minute you're gonna have 60 beats, that means 60 BPM.

Now if you want to build a track on that 60 BPM, you can decide to put one kickdrum per beat, that means you're gonna have 60 kickbeat each minute.

Or you can decide to put 3 kicks on 4 beats (or 5 on 8, or 7 on 8 or 2 on 4 etc etc)

Then the number of kicks are not gonna be the same as the number of beat: The number of kick is gonna be 45 since the number of beat stays 60.

I hope my example helped a bit..

Now, i was looking for psytrance tracks that are around 140-150 bpm, like ethereal: distant lights or Dark nebula: no mercy

Guest Otto Matta

Lemmi - A time signature has two numbers; in trance and most other popular music it's 4/4. The top number means how many beats to a measure, the bottom number means which note gets the beat. In other words, there are four beats (clicks) to a 4/4 measure, and the quarter note gets the beat. So basically you end up with a series of measures that can evenly be divided by four quarter notes or any subdivision of those notes (8 eighth notes, 16 sixteenth notes, two half notes, etc.). That's why in trance you always have four bass drums per measure, almost always on each quarter note click (sometimes there are "fills" to bassdrums which take them off the regular quarter note pattern), and the closed high-hat is almost always sixteen to a measure, whereas the open high-hat is on the off eighth notes, between quarter notes/bass drums (i.e., boom-tss-boom-tss-boom-tss-boom-tss).

A 3/4 time signature, on the other hand, is different in that there is only space for three quarter notes to a measure. Trance sounds weird in this time signature (although some, like Posford, have done a little in it) because there's no room for the second snare hit or fourth bass drum hit (which occur at the same time in 4/4).

3/4 should not be confused with a triplet pattern in 4/4, in which the sixteenth notes are divided into threes instead of fours, creating only 12 hi-hat hits to a measure instead of the standard 16.

Anyway, time signatures have nothing to do with the actual sounds inhabiting a measure. Therefore, a standard 4/4 measure can theoretically be as fast as it wants to be, but requires a musician/sequencer to be able to play that fast accurately. Yes, it would be very hard for a human to play trance at over 200 bpm, but a computer could play at speeds much greater than 200, although the sound of the rhythm will eventually become a haze.

Guest Otto Matta

It's easy to calculate a BPM, snu! In 4/4 the quarter note gets the beat, right? (It's the bottom number -> "4".) So, just count the amount of quarter notes in 60 seconds (which in psytrance happens to be the amount of bass drums - the ones that fall on the quarter notes [boom, boom, boom, boom] - in 60 seconds).

In short, "beats per minute" in 4/4 means "How many quarter notes in 60 seconds." A trance beat generally has a bass drum on each quarter note, so count the amount of bass drums in one minute.

Much simpler than stock options.