Sennheiser headphones

I have HD 280pro and they sound excellent. It took them a while to break in, but then they sound great. Be careful how you use them. They isolate outside sounds/noise very well, but if you listen to them loud for a longer period of time you may end up damaging your ears.

What I usually do is listen to them at an extremely low volume and let ears adjust, and then after a song or two, turn the volume up a bit if needed.

I'm not sure about HD25sp, but I think if you're interested in DJ-ing/isolation 280pro are a better choice.

Guest mahoney

I got a pair of HD280, and they are excellent for DJíng, very loud and light sound and also very isolating as "ear" said,,

I wouldn´t prefer them for homelistening (then I would get a pair with a deeper/warmer sound),,

Guest Kalle / Tranceform

Hi!

If you're looking for suitable headphones for DJ'ing at parties I'd recommend you to choose either HD-25SP or HD25-1.

I had HD-25SP for 4 years and nowadays I have HD25-1, both are very good. I've once had to change the cable to HD-25SP, but otherwise there were no problems although they were used by me and other people at parties - they really give you value for your money. HD25-1 is something that you might want to concider if you have some extra money to invest on headphones, they're definitely better than HD25-SP but also cost significantly more - I'm still 100% happy with the ones I have so I'm not complaining :-).

Cheers,

Kalle / Tranceform

Guest miroslav

Tons of helpful info regarding closed headphones (for listening, mixing, DJ-ing, tracking...), including reviews of HD280 and many other competitors can be found in the archives of:

www.head-fi.org

Guest Otto Matta

I have the HD280pro headphones and love to listen to music with them. They completely blow away the Sonys I used to listen to for years, and are even better for listening to electronica and trance than higher-end Sennheisers, which seem to be more for classical and rock, music with less dynamic soundstages.

otto matta.

i did not know that the hd280pro are better for electronica than more expensive sennheisers. in what way? :)

i own a pair of hd600 avantgarde, and i cant say that im dissapointed with what they offer. it would be cool to hear something even more mindblowing than what this pair of eargear offer. it cant be anything other than magic of its purest kind.

Guest Otto Matta

maxi - I owned a pair of 590s for a year (right after several years of Sony usage, and right before I replaced the 590s with the 280pros) and really enjoyed them, except for one major flaw: They didn't get loud enough. I'm sure they get plenty loud for rock and classical, etc., genres in which the frequency ranges, bass especially, are much tamer. But electronica and trance, as you know, have very full bass ranges, topped by an often intense assortment of upper ranges, an amalgam of sounds the 590s were unfit to handle in an ideal way. I can't begin to imagine the destruction the addition of a headphone amplifier, combined with some PPS Project, would wreak on those lovely flowers.

The 280pros, on the other hand, are made to get loud (louder than you'll ever want to listen unless you don't mind losing your hearing), and like the higher-end Sennheisers, have truly exceptional sound replication. In other words, they have finesse and muscle. I'm way hooked. But don't get me wrong - they don't have that fake bass boost that one finds in Sonys and other similar brands. The bass here is pure and crisp, while being able to maintain the upper ranges with surprising clarity.

I've never listened to the 600s, but I've compared the specs to the 590s and have been under the impression that they're similar. Nevertheless, for under $90 (I got mine for $80 with shipping, making them almost disposable when compared to the prices of higher-end headphones), the 280pros are an incredible deal for the sound and comfort delivered.

hey otto matta, you use a amplifier? is it worth the money? im, as stated in my earlier post, superpleased with my phones, but it would be cool to check out how the experience can be even greater :)

the 280s are closed, right? imo closed ones is not a good idea. you dont think the pressure on the head is annoying?

Guest Otto Matta

Hey Maxi. No, I don't use a headphone amplifier and have never heard headphones through an amplifier. I'm curious, too, but not curious enough to spend several hundred dollars on one, especially since the amplifier in a typical receiver seems to be - must be - more than sufficient. I guess if one listens primarily to a portable or a computer an amplifier would do some good.

And yeah, the 280s are closed. I like the personal experience of closed headphones myself. The 590s sure were comfortable, though. Like a feather. I just didn't like all the sound escaping.