UV active paint

me and my friend have been making banners.. we buy fluorescent paint from an art store. we have tried a few different kinds and in our experience airbrush paint works the best..

the only problem is that it is very expensive for a small amount. so we called around to a few paint stores and we found some that sell fluorescent paints for signs in large amounts.

now before i go all the way out there and buy some, does anyone know if all fluorescent things will be UV active? or is there some other property that makes stuff glow under black light?

Generally if it look fluorescent it will be UV active ... but different paints have different opacities when the are under the uv light. Good uv paints look opaque under uv where some cheaper ones can look a bit washed out. Perhaps you should get yourself a tester or even take a hand-held uv lamp and check out the paint at the store (I have a uv strip lamp that works in a camping flashlight). The other way to tell is to compare the apparent colour of the paint in daylight with that under ordinary fluorescent office lighting. Ordinary fluorescent lights have a higher proportion of uv anyway, and so if the paint seems more active under strip lights, then it will also be more active in full uv.

bomble

Bomble is right about quality, in some cheaper paint there is less colorpigments than in more expensive ones. There are also other things that affect the "glowing effect". I think the "Cyan-Magenta-Yellow" colors are the brightest, also red and orange. UV-White is the brightest of them all and is good for light- and fog-effects. Blue and green are not that bright usually, some can be really dark! If you want them to glow a bit more you have to mix them with white. And be careful about mixing the colors with eachother, in my experience it sometimes takes away a bit of the UV-effect.

Another thing is, use normal colors for backgrounds and some large areas, you can add some white uv-powder to it to make it shine, this way you save a lot of money! It also make the UV-parts stick out a lot more.

Also, to make the most of the glowing effect of the paint, use a white background. Uv- painted on black cloth does not shine as much. To save money, use normal white paint, because all white color, whether UV or not, glows in UV-light.

These are just some of the things that I've found out, maybe you know of this already, but I certainly didn't when I started out painting. Good luck and plur..

my brother paints fishing lures... he always uses floresents because they are bright in the water..... eh anyway he says they are cheap as @!#$.. so try a hobby store.

Yeah, in Sweden where I live you can buy uv-pigments in different colours, just as you can buy normal pigments, and mix the colour yourself.

Painted fishing lures look really nice on parties, you can do a lot of fun stuff with them!

Guest spaceraimo

The paints are expensive, so we havent been paying for them as they said in some graffiti bible on the first pages, you should learn how to get things for free if your ethical part of mind allows it.

I also like fluorescent stuff, that is first soft and very easy to modify and when put in heat(oven) for fifteen minutes it gets hard as plastic. Its plastic with some kind of an softener on it, we have made some jewelry and other small glowy freakin objects from it.

PUUhameesh i really respect the artwork made by you. bundylle terve jos kävelee vastaan.

That is soo nice Puhamees, that is pure inspiration. I'm starting to think that the future of psytrance will come from Finland, with your groovy vibes from the wild forests :) Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the fluoro things I've done yet, my friends have some pics of some old one's that we made for some parties in our old house. But I will sort it out pretty soon I think. I don't think I have anything that can be compared with those beautiful masterpieces I've seen on your site though, but I'm still learning...

And yeah Spaceraimo, you're absolutely right! Buy only the things you can't get hold of in some other way - otherwise you're gonna be a really poor fluoro artist, you'll be scared of experimenting with the colours and you'll end up obsessively protective of your paintings.

Guest PuuhaMees

Just put your heart to whatever u r doing & let your mind roam, that way u cant go wrong ;). Thank u Maïa & Spaceraimo 4 your enthusiastic response, this kind of feedback really gives us kicks to continue & advance in our quest on the endless fields of visual bliss.

In the forests we trust,

POOhaMees