tracks produced and released

I'm always amazed to see the difference between the number of tracks made by an artist and the number of tracks released by the artist... I mean if you read interviews, you'll find that artists make like 1000 tracks!!! But they only release 8-9 per album at a rate of 1 album per year... if you're lucky... so why the big difference? I suppose that quality if the main factor, but can anyone honestly say that quality still is an issue in today's scene? I mean, I read in an interview that AP have around 1500 tracks in their studio... but their latest album Amen sounded like they just put something up together to fans would get another of their albums... surely in all the 1500 unreleased tracks they made there must've been 9 others that were better than the stuff released? And why not release an album or 2 per year then?

SMI²LE

hmm yes, like Towelie said, 1500 unfinished tracks would be a better description. Maybe one good element in 10 tracks, and then take these elements to make a better 11th track, something like that.

I only have 4 unreleased tracks so i am not sure your "insider knowledge" apply for all artists ;-)

And I can say that I use way more time than one hour on each track... sometimes up till months one 1 track !!!!!

It probably depends on how the artist is working. If an artist has 1000 unfinished tracks it might be becauce they have taken the best parts from these tracks and combined tham into one track wich they have released. Or maby they thought the unreleased tracks didn´t fit their style. I have been making music for more than 8 years and i have something like 200 unfinished tracks and 0 finished. Most of my old music has great stuff in it that i use in my new tracks.

oh yeah, for my insider information, so people won't think I'm making it up: the main inspiration for the post was a post by D-dave a few topics below saying that Ka-Sol has made around 200 tracks (of which there are like a handfull of releases) and an interview with AP on http://www.psymag.com/magazines/ArticlePag...2&ArticleID=739

where they say "If you browse through our computer, you'll find enough material to fill more than 200 albums "

SMI²LE