need some creative ideas..

Hello

Thought Id make a housey remix of The Who - Eminence Front.

I just made a very rough draft in Reason with the sample base (intro , main , main + guitar solo) and a basic beat ontop. Have the vocal part of the song also of course, but havent chopped the samples yet.

Thought I would turn to you for some creative ideas :)

http://picosong.com/y5Kf/

First I would put some time on the percussion - already sounds more "housey" than original, but percussion tracks on house are really really important and they must follow that typical house-grove, otherwise it won't be recognized as house by most ppl *g*

Next are some house-like breaks. The noise-sweep, super-saw coming in/moving out, ect. Than add some housey synths, those short shots every 1bar or faster if your want, delayed or revered that bring this bom,bom,bom,bom,pewpew,bom,bom,bom,bom,pewpew house grove =)

Let me listen to if you have an update =)

And in the meanwhile, I capture the thread to make a generic "some ideas" thread xD

https://soundcloud.com/mfr/zero-point-module-smell-the

Some nightime fullon psy I'm working on right now.. let me know your ideas how to continue or improve the track :D

hey! thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I will definately add fillers such as one-shots, stabs and such with heavy delay.

but i usually do that in the end when the basics are covered.

what type of percussion do you think i should add?

bongos? congas? ive never made house before so not entirely sure what is a "must" as you say.

i thought house just followed the basic trance 4/4 format.

i will definetely try to add some sweeps, thats a really good idea.

And in the meanwhile, I capture the thread to make a generic "some ideas" thread xD

https://soundcloud.com/mfr/zero-point-module-smell-the

Some nightime fullon psy I'm working on right now.. let me know your ideas how to continue or improve the track :D

sounds very good. nice quality on both kick and bass.

I really couldnt give you any pointers though as I do not listen or enjoy dark psytrance. all the tips I could make would make it sound like goa :D

but it sounds very good. has a very nice professional feel to it. good job.

Im curious as to what daw you use? It doesnt sound like either reason nor FL, and it quite doesnt sound like cubase either.

Is it perhaps Logic? Sounds a bit like Logic. (yes, I imagine I can hear the differences between the daws, lol)

what type of percussion do you think i should add?

bongos? congas? ive never made house before so not entirely sure what is a "must" as you say.

i thought house just followed the basic trance 4/4 format.

i will definetely try to add some sweeps, thats a really good idea.

Not into house production that much, but what's prominent on almost all track is a strong open hihat in between the kicks with long release/decay, almost going on until the next kickdrum hits -- with a "weak" snaredrum, often even only a closed hihat on every 1st kick and a strong snaredrum on every second. It's difficult to explain what I mean.. to me the very typical element of house tracks is that powerfull percussion stuff. It's not about playing with too many instruments, but more about making them really prominent on the track. They probably work a lot with reverbs and compression on the drums, but only speculating as never did a house track so far. If you have that basic grove, bring some variation into to, using claps, bongs ect as you want ;)

Think it's the easiest way to look for a video where one shows how to build that basic electro-house-grove percussion loop and extend it with whatever sounds good to you =)

Yeah noise sweep man!! That's actually the thing I don't like on house.. some noise sweeping up or down on every fucking single bar... xD Good trick on this is to use a side-chained compression with the kickdrum. So you get this ducking on the noise every 1/4 bar, also known from a lot of tracks

sounds very good. nice quality on both kick and bass.

I really couldnt give you any pointers though as I do not listen or enjoy dark psytrance. all the tips I could make would make it sound like goa :D

but it sounds very good. has a very nice professional feel to it. good job.

Im curious as to what daw you use? It doesnt sound like either reason nor FL, and it quite doesnt sound like cubase either.

Is it perhaps Logic? Sounds a bit like Logic. (yes, I imagine I can hear the differences between the daws, lol)

Thanks man :) Nice to hear that my stuff finally starts to sound professional... was a long way :D

I'm using Ableton Live, but don't really use a lot of the DAW instruments. It's mainly the filters and compressor (the Ableton comp sounds really nice IHMO).

Rest of it is made with 3rd party or own plugins. I'm more of a technician (work as a software developer ;) ) than a musican.. spend way more time on designing sounds or coding own effects than actually composing. Mean.. I don't know any of the music scales by heat, but how to FFT it and find out what harmonics are most prominent on the spectrum... xD

kk.. going to add a goa-like 303 acid-line ARP on the next buildup *g*

oh and forgot about one thing also is present on a lot of tracks and almost always sounds cool, especially when going into a break: the "dub-dealy". That delay effect that gets slower/faster or pitches up/down.. kind of like used on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjUypQZ1l5k on the break around 4:00

Thanks man :) Nice to hear that my stuff finally starts to sound professional... was a long way :D

I'm using Ableton Live, but don't really use a lot of the DAW instruments. It's mainly the filters and compressor (the Ableton comp sounds really nice IHMO).

Rest of it is made with 3rd party or own plugins. I'm more of a technician (work as a software developer ;) ) than a musican.. spend way more time on designing sounds or coding own effects than actually composing. Mean.. I don't know any of the music scales by heat, but how to FFT it and find out what harmonics are most prominent on the spectrum... xD

kk.. going to add a goa-like 303 acid-line ARP on the next buildup *g*

yeah man i realise we use alot of 3rd party stuff just that the current DAW puts the actual sound on the .wav , and you can actually hear differences.

thats just what i meant :D

http://picosong.com/y57C/

added:

snare

open hihat at every 2/4 (minimal , its stereowide so you gotta really listen for it. will probably add a more prominent one later)

goa lead melody (comes in at about half of the sample)

rhodes 4th "pewpew" (not very audible but its definately there) (comes in at about half of the sample)

more bass (EQ)

reduce release on bassline

congas (comes in at about half of the sample)

bongos (comes in at about half of the sample)

sweep

sweep fx

ok tell me more :D:D

ps. i noticed you said side-chain, but the track is already HEAVILY side-chained. trust me:D i guess its not very prominent though and I will adjust it.

and to everyone here listening feel free to join in, at the end this might just end up beeing a The Who - Eminence Front (PSYNEWS REMIX)

way more housey :D like it

about the side-chain, add a long noise-sweep, like using a cymbal and steching it over 1 bar. Than add a side-chain comp to with a good amount of release, By that you get that typical ducking noise of house that sweeps up or down over a pretty long period of time, but ducks with the kickdrum...could be that's already there but can't hear it.. time stop making sound for me today.. ear overload.. xD

http://picosong.com/yLwg/

i guarantee the sidechain is there overwhelmingly.

added.

the vocal part of the song making it "complete" (starting around 1:43)

drum roll from the sample at guitar start and vocal start

id say not bad for one days of work :D im fairly done atm i think.

next comes the mixing part.

gonna bounce everything into Nuendo and mix it there making it sound more decent.

kk found it.. was listening for much sharper noise.. just needed a break.. it's what I'm writing.. after listening to my metalic sounds for hours you don't hear those warm noises anymore.. .D

> id say not bad for one days of work :D im fairly done atm i think.

definitly, like it =)

Removed link cus I'm gonna do some more mixing to it. Was a but hasty yesterday due to alcohol.

this is it im not going to do anything else to the track

but i wanna thank you, "purple sunray" you are part of this.

and im sure my dad would have appreciated it. no, im SURE he would have.

thanks bro.<3