Some Varied Enthusiasm

Guest Otto Matta

Wanted to share some enthusiasm. Maybe we can discuss...

Great psy comps:

1. Vibraspirit23 - I know it's somewhat old news, but these tracks are amazing. My favorite is Bent Sentient's Liquid Launch; those pod racer samples are second to none and the track itself is intense. Talpa's Kalashari had me hallucinating without drugs. So many good tracks.

2. Tales from the Dark Forest - Holy crap. Puro's Shut Wide Eyes, Steptime on Sienis's In the Forest? Jesus. And Ka-Sol's Pricken is the most intense psy track I've ever heard. The break in the middle with the tribal drumming is fuckin' hardcore, and that's only the beginning. Can't wait for an album.

If anyone can recommend similar comps, I'm all ears. :)

Album:

PPS Project - AC vs. DC: Huge album. Very clean, crisp and powerful tech trance. Not as innovative as Irritant or Send In... Send Back, but interesting in it's own right, and admittedly more, uh, *big* somehow.

Chillout:

Ultimae! Do these guys ever fail?

1. Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden: Love this album. MOS 6581 is one of the most beautiful and moving tracks I've ever heard. The rest of the album is close behind.

2. Solar Fields - Blue Moon Station: A solid, solid piece of art.

...And all this in a new, burned-in pair of Sennheiser HD280pro headphones, which, by the way, are better than the 590s I managed to mangle a few months ago, at half the price. Highly recommended.

Okay, I'll stop. :)

Guest djcl.ear

Hey All-ears(from a fellow enthusiast).

How long did you burned-in the HD-280?

...I guess it was no interference with normal sounds around the house, if you just placed them face down over a table since the EXCEL at reducing sound leakage from the outside, -32dB they claim ¡¡¡.

Plus, where can you get the "Tales from the Dark Forest " CD?, it was not on saikosounds last time i saw.

Thanks

Yes yes, i agree. Tales from the Dark Forest is an amazing compilation... especially the tracks you listed... Vibraspirit23 is good... but not as good. If you like this style, be sure to check out Talpa's upcoming album - Art Of Being None.. out on SunDance in October...

Solar Fields + Carbon Based Lifeforms are pretty average, but to be honest, haven't listened to them properly yet...

Guest Otto Matta

sam i am - Thanks. I've been meaning to look into the second Sundance release. I'm so glad that there are options besides the monotony of full-on and of digging up old-school releases on eBay. In other words, I'm glad there are some artists out there creating a new and very dynamic, powerful sound worth listening to these days. :)

djcl.ear - The 280s have taken about 30 hours to burn in to a satisfactory level. Amazing headphones for electronic music (deep, crisp bass, ultra-clear mids and highs, a full soundstage, even at high volume), compared to the 590s which - as the packaging clearly states - would've been better for Classical music. And far and beyond the quality of Sonys (i.e., MDR-7509/V600).

Alek - I'll surely look out for Talpa's album. Thanks. :) And the CBL and Solar Fields albums definitely deserve more attention.

i got sennheizer 590 :) and they are open headphones and give away a very clear sound.. the high's are breathtaking, and the lows are very sharp, and the mids are there! and they only get better and better the more i play them, and i can play them through my computer very loud :) ..

i recommend these very much!! Stay AWAY from hd570 !!! they are really expensive but have a crap sound!!!

Guest djcl.ear

Thanks Matta and others for the links.

...I had a friend with that surname...very uncommon here.

About headphones, one of the nice things of HD280 is that wherever party or club or city you DJ ... they give you the best(by far) isolation from the outside sounds together with studio monitoring sound quality. Things which I guess are very important when mixing Psy, because they allow you to mix more easily by letting you hear even the small details.

Specially since this music is most always composed -or at least aware- of many sound layers as opossed to other music styles, in which importance is set mostly on the percussive side of things..