psy is dying?

Guest psystronaut

with the end og the psynews, is the pychedelc era going to his end, are we searchin of something more peacefully and noisless?

peace 2 everyone

Guest Raider

I thought that same thought a year ago or some months when the activity was really low, but there's a bunch of releases lately and lots of parties going on. It has been a wild year and it ain't over yet baby... he he.

Guest Kristian

Yes. I think psy has already began to die since some couple of years ago when nobody wanted to do oldschool anylonger. For me the oldschool was the true definition of trancemusic were one actually could experience a state of trance and not as it is with the todays trance music when it is more hypnotic and everyone is doing the same monoton bassline and squish sounds in every record released in difference to the bands who try to break new ground such as Infected Mushroom with their latest album which isn't much trance anyway.

So yes, I think trance and psy has lost it's meaning because of all the meaningless releases today which isn't much trance anyway.

Guest Mike D

I think goa is dead for sure... but I think the underground is alive well and good in a new style... check out boshke beats and Horns and Hoof Entertainement, some call it tekno but they have not heard real tekno, this stuff has elements fomr many genres of electronic music but still has the psy trance feel and it is very muc for those who do not like conformist full on GMS shit spilling out from Ibiza...I was very sad that goa died but this stuff has easily filled that gaop in my listening and I am so excited to be bringing DJ Alex Tolstey out end of '04 for a Boshke party in Australia :)

what a pointless topic ;) anyway psy is not dying even if you don't want to accept this fact. sorry ppl but maybe you're dead for psy music...go listen to your prog. house and other shit ;)

I don't think that psytrance is dying... it's just evolving. From what I see, a lot of people are getting tired of the same basslines, of artists using basically the same basis for their tracks... and so am I. Don't get me wrong, I like psytrance... but nowadays there's just too much of the same stuff around. So no, I don't think it's dying, but people need to push boundaries, explore... do things no one is doing... psytrance will evolve.

Guest alccode

The "evolution" that is occuring today is a step backwards. Who wants to hear minimalist songs? Kristian said it perfectly, every track has the same monotonous bassline and squish noises. Barely any melodies. Nothing worth listening to at all.

What I think should happen is that all these producers today should stop pretending that they're making psytrance (which sounds cool) and admit they have started a different genre, which is NOT psychedelic in any sense. "New age techno" or something like that. Hell, just group it all under "progressive trance" with Sasha et al., because boredom is the binding glue for that particular genre.

IMO the prog-heads are just in it for the image, "look at me, I'm anti-goa, I am fresh and new and a rebel! Have sex with me!"

On the other hand, Israeli trance, which is the closest to the goa-feel, is also a failure, due to the *highly repetitive* structure of the tracks. They all sound the same. Nu-clear Visions of Israel is a typical example.

And let's not talk about the GMS-style music, which I'm sure that for every new song they reuse the same project in Cubase or whatever, and just tweak the knobs at different settings, change the arrangement, and bingo, "new track."

So yeah, goa is dead. Psytrance is dead. It's very, very hard to sift through the new releases nowadays and find real, trance-inducing, PSYCHEDELIC music.

Guest Mike D

You guys are so stupid hehe... Ive been listening to this music since '96-'97 and itis chaning almost ona monthly babsis now... and most of the porgressive producers/listeners are from the old gos scene, they just realise that goa is dead, that it is now global trance and this means that all style are influencing the genre... and proggy has many melodies... just that it isn't in your face lala land like the old dyas, iti s focussed on groovy bass, phat n' phunky drumz and brining more pople into the scene... it is so immature to say oh you are no true to psy because you like progressive or tek psytrance... you are not tru to psy for not accepting change and growht, which is what psy is all about... accpentance of people and their differences, when you realise thi snad grow up, you will realise how dumb some of the above statements are!

my friend we will not let this music die..we have to bielieve in good music

we are still alive and prychedelic is in our heads..in our souls.. ha ha!! am i right?????

Guest alccode

Mike D, you have diagnosed the symptoms correctly but you have prescribed an entirely wrong medicine!

Yes, today's "psy" is focussed on "groovy bass and phat n' phunky drumz", but that is just the worldwide progressive trend!

GROOVY and PHUNKY != PSYCHEDELIC

PSYCHEDELIC = mind twisting music, NOT GROOVY AND PHUNKY stuff!

Psytrance is developing into "groovy and funky" music precisely because it wants to appeal to more people like you said. By changing its focus from PSYCHEDELIC to GROOVY+FUNKY, psytrance has basically shot itself in the head. This is not psytrance.

Listen, all you prog-heads, should forget about psy, and look into the following artists. Trust me, you'd be better off in progressive:

Sasha

John Digweed

Hernan Cattaneo

16B

John Creamer & Stephane K

Infusion

James Holden

Steve Lawler

etc.

That's more "groovy and funky" than you can shake a stick at.

As for me, sorry, I don't dig that stuff, I dig the psychedelic music.

Guest Elysium Project

True openminded people do not put down other music styles. They accept that they excist and keep an open mind toward them !

Hell no, psy is not dying , it is in me and it is still going strong because i live by this music and im sure alot of other people here do to.

Guest sensient

Psychadelic does not mean have a thousand weird and wacky sounds going at once in a track. Personally i find space and atmosphere in a track to be just as psychadelic, in fact more so...minimal done well can be very psychadelic

Guest cielspacing

So... you can be violent and even offensive on your fundamentalist ideas

or you can agree or differ and still respect the other's opinions.

The difference is respect ¡¡¡ not what you think of Psytrance.

That is a good basis and then you can evolve your thinking and actions into a different music or whatever... and still nicely share with other humans.

I am with you here Elysium, (and took me a while to learn to stand like this).

And the meaning of "trance" comes from transit, movement, change plus the meaning or "psychedelic" comes from Psyche; greek for soul/mind and delos; movement again.

Thus, not like techno, Psytrance is music that provokes and moves the soul, the conciusness, the perception.

It is not defined by the kind of instruments you utilize to make it, it is more related with the effect it induces...

It can(and pbbly will) go from maximalism into minimalism. Actually it is open and allowed to use any resource in order to accomplish that CHANGE.

If you dont like it, or if it doesnt move you, bothers you, groove you, funck you or whatever. It pbbly means that -at the time- your trip, and the chakras involved(or your energies) are not challenged. It reflects the diversity of humans AND moments there are...

If you see, getting to know this respect and acknowledge this diversity may help us to develop better music, have better relations in trance8hence do better parties), play better Dj sets, better choose the parties and Djs adequate for us at the time and share better/deeper topics at forums(once learnt, you move on).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 604Warrior

Its not dying its just degrodating down and down thanks to all the FULL ON SHIT and GMS CLONES and all those "VERY TALENTED NEW COMERS FROM ISRAEL" its them whom destrying and trying to put under their control eveyrhting, psychedleic they even dont know waht is it!