Is Psytrance over for me? Try and save me, gimme something

Guest Colonel Klink

Hey Everybody!

I'm a longtime visitor to the site though a very infrequent poster and the writer of only 2 or 3 reviews in the archive (The Planet B.E.N. Silver[:)

Guest antic

Well, I have to admit that for about one year or so I feel pretty the same as you. I always get excited when I order some new record, then I'm dissapointed when I finally get it... Probably it is somehow connected with me getting older and not so much in love with the genre anymore, but it is also possible it's the music's fault - there are few sub genres, in which most artist sound very much alike (gms-ish full-on, floaty atmos-like progressive or tech-trance, etc.). Even the most respected artists are beginning to release lower quality stuff (cosmosis/mumbo jumbo, etnica/pleiadians, tristan, hallucinogen/shpongle, planet ben and many others).

In my case the problem is that I don't have many cash to spend on CDs (I'm 27, got wife and 9-months son), so I stick to respected artist and labels from old days of goa (I started listening to psy/goa in 1997). I heard that many new labels release interesting and innovative stuff, for example timecode, jum-jam etc. Probably that is where the creativity is at the moment, just because they don't have goa roots like Transient, Dragonfly or TIP.

My solution to this frustration is very simple - lately I buy only classic albums from 94-98. They sound dated and very simple comparing to most modern stuff (and sometimes not), but at the same time they contain all the things I loved in goa/psy at the beginning - melodies, biud-ups, 303-s, alien/spiritual-themed samples. The only problem is how to find those records, so most of them I buy second-hand. And there is still a lot of CDs I have to hunt down :)

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

Quote: "every genre has its artists that produce just amazing stuff"

Is that so? In every scene the artists are plagued with the 'difficult 2nd album syndrome' and 'bandwagonjumpers and copycatters'...Many scenes start with a bang and lose their grip as they are too busy 'progressing' the sound but hereby losing the focus that made the stuff worthwhile in the first place. And since most 'other' genres don't have that trippy and over-the-top madness, more conventional stuff tends to wear out a lot quicker than psytrance and chillout.

Psytrance is not so bad in this respect imo. Sure, if its from Israel expect predicable full-on, from Germany expect hard but less else tech-trance and so on...but there is still a significant underground vibe.

And regarding (psy)ambient I think there is hardly serious recent competition outthere for Ott, Simon P, Youth and his LSD label buddies, Entheogenic, ISHQ to name just a few...

Some amazing albums released in the past years imo:

Hidria Space Folk: Symbiosis

James Reipas : This is not in Fashion

Weird Alchemy : Weird Alchemy

Possible Apple : Botanical Zoo

Eraser versus Yojalka - Round 1

don't worry dude, it's not like you've signed some sort of contract forcing you to listen to only one musical genre!! Why not spend a year or 2 listening to something else and then have a taste of psytrance again? Problem with music (a certain style or artist) is that either artists make more of the same, which make people label it as "uninnovative" and "mediocre copies" or they make something compelety different causing people to say "this ain't no psy cause the psy I'm used to sounds like this".

But IMO this has a good side to it: there are SOOOO many talented artists out there putting out very very good stuff in other musical genres, why not take a look at what they're doing? Personally, I'm recently discovering some very interesting underground hardcore, which has like NOTHING to do with what you usually find on hardcore comps... curently checking out some live mixes by Spiral Tribe and Sound Conspiracy and fuck this is good!!

SMI²LE

Guest Miffo

I have kind of the same problem. Very seldom I hear a track that I think is something to have. Most tracks sounds the same, seams like many artist has a finished button on a synth that it says on "write a typical psychedelik track with some sounds going piiioong....piong and the same umpa-bumpa base/kick. To this we need a drum-loop and a snare on the 2&4th beat. Not to forget the psy-sample from a cool movie to use just before everything pumps on again".

I have to admitt the music to day is not god att all for the vmost of the times.

BUT!!! if you listen to a dude who calles himself Rip Van Hippy and all his three albums you will find different, musically brilliant, melodies, rythms and feelings you never heard in anything else.

Try his Album When Bernie Was A Tree, sadly very hard to get.....

hope that will help you, otherwise, what does it mather to abandon a scen that is as creative with new ideas as britney spears or Jennifer Lopez?

Guest Colonel Klink

Thanks for all your responses!

And I've never felt restricted to the genre, or that I HAD to like it... which is why I've been branching out a lot over the past years to incorporate straight-techno, drum and bass (like Plug), hip hop and so on...

It just kinda hit me one day that its been a long time since I really found anything in psytrance that grabbed me like it used to..

One exception:

I love psytrance parties, even if the music bores me.. Here in toronto there's a great little scene with probably the best vibe in the city.. the peeps are just great and make it worthwhile to participate....

N-E-way... must return to work..