Michel Cleis - La Mezcla EP

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

A La Mezcla (Original Version) (12:13)

B La Mezcla (Dub Version) (9:06)

OK, technically speaking this is tribal house, not psy BUT I really find it has its place in this reviews section. There are a LOT of djembé rythms going on and there are these wonderful latin american influences, which remined me a lot of Shpongle.

The original version starts out with a djembé rythm and then other drum layers start adding up progressively then around 2:30 comes a break and a VERY catchy flute melody (I ended up whistling for days). Now this is the sweet part: if you listen really closely, you'll find a little instrument kicking around 2:50 which sounds very much like the one in Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth around 2:10. Then all the tribal rythms pick up again, making you at least nod your head in rythm, if not actually getting up and dancing. Around 4:30 comes some spanish singing that kindof ruins the feeling for me, although Ive found that the more I listened to it, the more the voice part made sense. That said, I would've much prefered an instrumental version identical to this but without the singing...

The dub version is purely instrumental, it doesn't have the voice part, but I also found it a bit more flat and less catchy than the original. Oh and in case you were wondering, the dub influences are really minimal, it has the same ethnic house feeling as the A-side.

I won't hide the fact that I'm a bit dissapointed with new psy releases in 09, hence my tendencies to stray off the "usual" path of psytrance lables to explore some new genres out there. I must say that I'm pretty impressed by this release, and I think that any Shpongle fan will love this as well. 4/5

• 2 months later...

haha no this certainly wasnt what i thought id find on review 2009 forum.

however, i bought this a few weeks ago, played it with sucess at Transylvania Calling alternative floor.

fuckin awesome track.