question about vynil

Guest frame

I have some questions regarding psytrance released on vynil. Any comments, please..

1. Can anyone explain me why there is not so much psytrance on vynil? Why is it released mostly on CD?

2. Is the choice of vynil offered by on-line shops such as "psyshop.com" (nothing personal, just first that came on my mind) differs from the choice in "real" shops, is it bigger or is it the same?

3. What do you think about vynil? Is it going down and giving a way to CD?

Thank you.

Guest Jaimz

1. Because not many people buy vinyl, so often when vinyl is released it loses money. Vinyl is more expensive to press, and it's more expensive to ship around the world [because it weighs more]. Also value for money means that you can get two 12", or about four or five tracks, usually for the same price as one CD, which is eight or nine tracks.

2. Probably bigger, I haven't been to a 'real' shop for quite some time, but the online stores generally have all the psytrance available. Last time I went to a real store they had a fair amount of psytrance vinyl, but certainly not everything.

3. It's going down and CDs are going up. There will still be a small amount of vinyl released as there are some people who continue to buy it, and some artists like to see their music released on vinyl, but in general due to a decline in vinyl sales there will be less vinyl available and more CDs available in the future.

I don't understand Vinyl (in regards to DJing)...I think its on the way out...

I mean what if you have one song thats in the key of A and another in the key of A but they are different speeds...with a CD you can do pitch changes as well as BPM changes so you can fix this but on Vinyl you have to hope that noone has a good ear or they are on drugs :P

Guest frame

2 Hels

You know, I think you are a little bit wrong..

What's the difference between "pitch changes" and "BPM changes" ?

There IS pitch control on turntables. And it is YOUR work to make people feel and hear the music in the way that a composer wanted or wished who created it. No matter who are you - a dj or a musician and whether those people are on drugs or not.

Guest lysergic

i like the sound of vinyl better.

i prefer to own vinyl, its a lot more satisfying especially since the cover is so large and like real art ;)

but as said above, its all getting released on cd so you need to play cds if you wanna be able to play all the stuff you like without being really limited.

i think its because psy labels are very small and cant afford to press vinyl like other big electronic music styles like dnb or techno etc.

Guest spacemonkey

vinyl has a certian "feel"to it, i try to buy vinyl, and if that doesn't succeed i go for CD's, but records are first priority.

i don't know why exactly, but somehow vinyl gives me the feeling i have more for my money then a CD, even if a vinyl has lesser tracks (which is always a shame, missing 1 or 2 tracks on an album, because you buy the record not the CD).

Its too bad, but economic necessity is slowly fazing the format right out... but this topic makes it clear: there are still people out there who appreciate a good record... (this strengthens my own personal mission!)...

About question 2) from above - there are always many releases in all mediums that fall by the wayside and aren't always available in the major online shops... some hunting around will yield great treasures.

Guest fugelpitch

frame: with new cd players you can both adjust the tempo(bpm) of the song and also change the key of the song individually. So you can get the two songs to play in the exact same key. Which makes far more "musically" mixing.

Guest WSTE_M

Can you direct me to theese CD players ?

also what do you think of DVD audio ? I belive it gives better audio quality (?)

W

Guest Jaimz

Er, just on the 'changing pitch and bpm' thing, I feel I should clarify.

Classic pitch control involves changing the speed of a record or CD in order to change the speed, or BPM. This basically involves making it go faster or slower. This is what all vinyl turntables use and is also what CDs use as a default. Changing the pitch of a tune will also have an effect on all the harmonics, thus also changing the key.

With newer CD players there is the option to use the 'Master Tempo' option. What this does is leaves the original tune in the same pitch, but changes the tempo, or speed of the tune. This is done not by changing the speed but instead either inserting or removing extremely small gaps in the tune, in order to lengthen or shorten in.

This means it's not actually possible to change the pitch and the tempo individually, as stated above. It's possible to choose between changing the pitch and tempo by the same amount [the standard method], or by changing the tempo by one amount while keeping the pitch at the original level [the 'master tempo' method].

I highly advise AGAINST using 'master tempo', by the way. The technology that it uses [inserting and removing gaps] results in very ugly audio artifacts at high levels [+/- 2%, in my experience].

I personally thinking while mixing in key is a very nice thing to try to do, no-one should focus on it too much, because it's VERY limiting. Basically you're left to play records at the same key and the same BPM [or very close]. It sounds, to me, a lot better playing the right track in a slightly different key rather than playing a crappy track just 'cause it's in the right key and the right BPM.

But each to their own, ey?

Oh, and if you're mixing ambient, it might be of interest to note that altering the pitch by 8.33% will change it exactly one semi-tone. Er, I think. :-) Mixing in key is a lot easier with ambient, 'cause you don't need to give a shit about the beats.

"Classic pitch control involves changing the speed of a record or CD in order to change the speed, or BPM. This basically involves making it go faster or slower. This is what all vinyl turntables use..."

I'm not totally sure but I think Numark TTX turntable has the same or similar feature as "master tempo" in CD players that takes care of the pitch when speed is altered.

If this is true then I think it's the first turntable that can do this.

Guest ukiro

jonatan - who mentioned mono? vinyl is in stereo just as CDs.

---

I am and will always be a vinyl junkie. Look at the techno scene - a lot of records there, probably the vast majority, are pressed in 1500 copies or less. Still it survives without having any CD sales to rely on. How come? I'm not a label manager or anything, but I think it has to do with the fact that techno listeners are interested in DJing a lot more than the psytrance crowd. Also, the psytrance scene has had a vibe of sharing music from the very beginning (anyone else remember the DAT scene?). Many labels suffer from this today, with CD copying and MP3s. However, if they were to focus more on vinyl, this issue would go away! At least to some extent. Yet again, compare to the techno scene: pretty much all releases that have proper distribution gets ripped to MP3, and yet they keep selling. I think thats because the step is further from an MP3 to a piece of vinyl than between an MP3 and a CD. When you have the MP3 you "almost" have the CD (by burning an audio CD from it) but you're not even close to having the vinyl. So, you end up bying more often if "the real thing" is a piece of vinyl and not a CD.

By switching to CD, the psytrance scene is hurting itself, in my opinion. It just adds fuel to the fire. If they were to focus on keeping vinyl popular in the long term instead of raking in short-sighted profits from the lower production costs of CDs I think they'd be better off. But I fear it may very well be too late now. And I could be totally wrong, too.

Guest ukiro

jonatan - who mentioned mono? vinyl is in stereo just as CDs.

---

I am and will always be a vinyl junkie. Look at the techno scene - a lot of records there, probably the vast majority, are pressed in 1500 copies or less. Still it survives without having any CD sales to rely on. How come? I'm not a label manager or anything, but I think it has to do with the fact that techno listeners are interested in DJing a lot more than the psytrance crowd. Also, the psytrance scene has had a vibe of sharing music from the very beginning (anyone else remember the DAT scene?). Many labels suffer from this today, with CD copying and MP3s. However, if they were to focus more on vinyl, this issue would go away! At least to some extent. Yet again, compare to the techno scene: pretty much all releases that have proper distribution gets ripped to MP3, and yet they keep selling. I think thats because the step is further from an MP3 to a piece of vinyl than between an MP3 and a CD. When you have the MP3 you "almost" have the CD (by burning an audio CD from it) but you're not even close to having the vinyl. So, you end up bying more often if "the real thing" is a piece of vinyl and not a CD.

By switching to CD, the psytrance scene is hurting itself, in my opinion. It just adds fuel to the fire. If they were to focus on keeping vinyl popular in the long term instead of raking in short-sighted profits from the lower production costs of CDs I think they'd be better off. But I fear it may very well be too late now. And I could be totally wrong, too.

• 10 months later...