saw JIRAH- live/ish- ,Dutch Excellent

thorn726

so between recovery and schedule took me a few extra days but last Sat went and saw Jirah in SF which well i dunno yeah he was a live human being but he played a DJ set- but pretty much all his stuff, remixed etc, you know how they do it, -- YES that was some frikkin trance.. .the only cd i have is Outer Access which is pretty old by now and not really all that full on although good-- WAY better now. WAY.

some of what he played was older stuff i recognized remixed to nice and full on psychedelic, at least by my definition...

Dutch- i dunno how much this guy travels any more or what but if he's playing by you, go see it- he's been dj forever, probably my favorite, although he will definitely play for the crowd- meaning if his set is early, or the party is overall progressive or whatever, he's gonna play what fits. It was extra sweet that his set was last like 5am so he tore it up. He just really knows what to play when, what is good psy, and how to mix it

the party itself was kinda funny because it was put on at a legal warehouse space (we have these weird laws here)- so no alcohol, cops stay outside at begining to make sure its not too loud, the one bummer possibly for some people was it was not all that loud in back but i stayed up front by speakers aso it was Tight - also gotta love a WEED friendly environment- 18+ which meant where most psy parties i go to are 90% 27+ this one was more like 80% 18-22, probably a few underage people.... still there's always enough of the trance crew to make an old guy like me feel at home, once i get to work on that floor......

well that's something you have to see to believe, and most people don;t believe it even when they see it

i dunno if the rest of the scene was elsewhere for some outdoor thing or just too cool for a youngsters party, but most of the locals scene missed out i'd say. Jirah was hot man, Hot.

the early djs were from another collective(whatever?), them and their kids were really more into the cyber type trance... EXCEllent- seeing that slowly, although it is taking years, this huge mass of kids brought up on the worst cyber rave music are migrating towards real psytrance, even the cyber djs were throwing in real tracks. The psy scene has always been so elite and exclusive that most kids who wanted trance music only got cybertrance and never really figured out the real deal here, funny thing about that is mainly too many of them and the clowns who wanted to put on parties for 26yr olds to sell them E - play crap- so Finally they move forward as the scene gets smaller and the two types of parties converge a bit

Star Hawk- i mention this guy because wow- HEAVY dark psy for his set - i usually don't like that stuff that much but for what it was, Wow dude rocked some pretty good HARD dark psy, much of it had really deep stuff going on beneath the pounding

so yeah if Jirah or Dutch play near you, CHECK IT OUT, and i'll throw out there if you like the dark heavy stuff Star Hawk was good too