Expand Distribution Networks to Eastern Europe?

many labels have come to the point where their sales have gone down comparing to previous years sales.

i don't know how good the distribution networks are organised, how well the artists are promoted in some countries. many artists seem to go lately only where there's money, which is normal.

but the idea: "so if i can make a living by performing and selling my work in a few countries, i am ok with that. why risk and go for more?"

what i am saying is that eastern europe might be a great potential.

you may say that eastern countries are poor and the labels/artists risk to loose money or win less money than their expectations. but my opinnion is different than that.

i mean, i go into a music store, all CDs i see there are at the equivalent of ~15euro, but there's nothing that i want to buy. why? because there's no psy, no goa, no chillout, nothing appealing, just commercial stuff that everybody hears in clubs and gets sick of them.

we have great undeground parties, and not only underground... also well-known festivals .. so there is a nice potential for live acts and stuff.

i don't know who will read this thread of mine, who will find it interesting or if anyone will even bother reading it. but i hope the right persons see it.

and then there's the market research and stuff.

Guest Valerio

Great thread Moni !

would you be able to help some labels in this matter ! I think too eastern countries have a great potentiality but the fact is that there are no people able to spread the music there.... (distributors, shops etc.)

any news or details ?

Guest green mouse

well, i have a different opinion...as I have seen labels trying to sell in the poorer Eastern European countries (i.e. Bulgaria) and I am friends with their managers so I know the numbers...it does not work, because ppl don't have much money, most people copy cds from friends...those who do have money to buy originals might as well buy them over the internet and this option is sometimes even cheaper. I guess the situation in Romania would not be much different, Moni....Here the psy cds that do get imported sit on the shelves for quite long.....

Well, as usual, the truth somewhere between. Some distrib. with financial power could invest in a psy store even in poor countries like Romania or Bulgaria, in CERTAIN CITIES. Where there is a larger population 1.000.000.000+, there is a chance to find buyers. Also, in Romania, for instance, there are smaller cities like Sibiu where there is a quite strong Goa comunity. Selling 100-200 CDs per month isn't that bad, is it?

I may, of course, be wrong...