DJ Ollie - "Into the Light" mix 1993

Ezra

This is a mix tape from 1994 that was made especially for the Australian party crew "Vibe Tribe." This tape was very popular at that time in Australia, and I've just found it at a friend's house where I managed to burn it to MP3. This tape is a great document from a time when different influences and idea were orbiting around a central paradigm of experimental dance music, forming something new, psychedelic and very very exciting. "Into The Light" showcases a range of styles that initially were very important for goa trance. A careful listen and you'll hear some EBM (industrial - ala Nitzer Ebb, Front 242), some housey anthemic kind of sounds which are slightly cheesy but are still awesome. There are many samples of Indian music and chanting, something that would of course be a prime characteristic of the goa aesthetic. There's also good use of the 303 which tended to be ignored later as the genre developed and goa veered away from techno, firmly establishing itself as an independent genre and scene. The tape hovers around the 120 to 140 bpm zone, a characteristic of goa for a number of years before the music got harder and faster.

This is the music that was being played in underground clubs, wharehouse parties, and outdoor doofs and festivals in the early 1990s. Within two years the sound had already progressed greatly, moving heavily towards the psychedelic hints of the style, getting faster, trippier, more complex, and less organic. I love these early sounds, and feel that psytrance kind of lost it a bit afterwards. By today's standard, much of the music here sound like trippy remixes of hard progressive-house tracks.

I don't have a track listing for "Into the Light" (except for the first song on Side A, which is of course Hallucinogen's "LSD"). If anyone can provide more info, that would be great. Each side is around 40MB. Enjoy!

SIDE A:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/13046393779f4d3c/

SIDE B:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/13049269302743fa/