Hotaka

Gotta say I'm really unimpressed and disappointed by the new Juno Reactor single. Which is unfortunate, because he could have created something really powerful with the concepts and musicians he had to work with.

First of all, I was horrified to hear Stevens's guitar riff stolen straight from S.U.N. Project's "Dance of the Witches." It's almost exactly the same. Second, that James Bond-ish theme is just a tad trite, almost as if Watkins were aiming to get the track released in a Bond movie (maybe it was?). Thirdly, the drumming and vocal samples during the meat of the track are hollow and poorly mixed. All in all, the track lacks that typical Juno flair for innovation.

That said, the 12" version starts out amazingly - those voices are chilling and beautiful. But then it quickly goes downhill and stays there. I just got the single today, so I haven't had a chance to listen to the remixes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than the original. Is Watkins finished? :(

Guest kingdok

...I wouldn't say finishing so much as shifting direction. Anymore, I think of Juno Reactor as being really well thought out, tribal industrial. Hence their signing to Metropolis Records.

If Watkins' Atomic Reactor label is any indicator, we'll be hearing even more industialized stuff from him in the future. 'Not a bad thing, since there are plenty of people doing the more traditional psy we've all come to love.

But yeah, you're naturally going to see the artists who've been at it a while start to veer away/falter. This may not be Juno Reactor at its prime, but Hotaka is still ten times better than most of the ill-concieved tracks being spat out nowadays. I'm listening to audio snippets on Trancetrax right now and it's just sad how much pure shit there is out there.

Guest Bahamut

.... actually, I was disappointed too :(

right after 7 seconds came such a lame sounding synth-bassline that I almost knew for sure the rest of the track was gonna be crappy

and not to mention that stupid distorted-clap-like sound

the only cool things are these twisted low voices at the beginning and end, and the break with some nice percussion and typical JR choir-sounds

The remixes are pretty bad, too. What's up with that Der Dritte Raum remix? It sounds like one long introduction that never leads to a song.

kingdok - You make a couple good points, but to me good music is good music, and apart from the beginning of Hotaka, this EP is pretty bad, not to mention derivative. I mean, how long ago was Dance of the Witches made? Three, four years ago? I will agree, however, that there's a lot of crap out there, and that Hotaka is more interesting than many, but that's not saying much.

I'm pissed because it's sad to see an act fail when you've been a die-hard fan for such a long time. :( Maybe the next album will be better.

so many bands going so bad

contrarywise...

so many new bands hitting just the right spot :)

addendum...

i never really liked juno reactor until i saw them live!

Guest Bahamut

I can imagine it must be hard to come up with something new every time and this time it didn't work out so well :)

I guess they were at their creative peak with beyond the infinite and bible of dreams... and I'm afraid it will get worse from now on

You know what, kingdok? You're right.

I'm swallowing my pride. I made a big mistake and I'd like to retract most of the stuff I said above. I pulled the ol' judge-a-track-after-the-first-listen-before-I've-given-it-the-proper-amount-of-attention trick. Perhaps included in there was some I'm-an-elitist-music-fan-who-thinks-he-deserves-to-dis-an-artist-for-whom-I-and-others-have-a-lot-of-respect-and-for-good-reason. I've done it before and I'll probably do it again.

So I'm here to say that the track really grew on me after five or six listens. I want to listen to it again. It's a good track, if not a *really* good track. And I apologize.

I'll try not to judge other people's music so hastily next time. :)

Guest erindoo

I too was kinda bummed with this~ it seemed less creative and more guitar-y. I do need to give it more of a listen before i go trashing it, but my inital reaction was dissapointment. I look forward to the whole album coming out- whenever that'll be and am really stoked for them to tour again- one of the best shows i've ever seen...

Guest peaceful warrior

I have the hotaka single and I would just like to offer a different opinion. I thought Shango was Juno Reactor's best album and I have been listening to them since the beginning. I also really like Hotaka. I don't agree that its not inspired. I think its' really creative and anyway its' fun to listen and dance to. Sometimes it really seems that some people just want to complain about stuff.

Guest erindoo

Oh nononno... actually i am a big fan of guitar trance, Dark Soho, SUN Project, etc... I just think it can be overwhelming. My mind is not closed to this, i just wrote up my first impression. Guitar is not a replacement for creativity by any means...