Nord Modular Questions

Well I was planning to buy me a nord modular for my birthday on the ninth of june but i have some questions before I do so...

First, I'd like to know if you can use one nord modular to create and entire track. Can one machine produce more sounds at once or will I have to record it to .wav each time? Do I need a good sound card or anything or can my computer be lame? Can I automate all the knobs through FL and can I sequence it through FL(like a vst or it works differently?)? Is it worth buying the nord modular rack thing because it costs less? Is the old type significantly worse than the new one or is it worth buying? And err I think that's it :)

Thanks for the answers in advance (btw sorry if this was asked before but I didn't find it with search) :posford:

First, I'd like to know if you can use one nord modular to create and entire track. Can one machine produce more sounds at once or will I have to record it to .wav each time?

The NM1 is 4-part multitimbral; the NM2 I think is more capable but not enough for a whole track.

Do I need a good sound card or anything or can my computer be lame?

If you're going to record parts as WAV you'll need a good A/D converter; otherwise MIDI is very light indeed on CPU.

Can I automate all the knobs through FL and can I sequence it through FL(like a vst or it works differently?)?

Yes. You control the modules using CC messages which are assigned separately with each patch; as long as FL can work with CCs you can do what you need.

Is it worth buying the nord modular rack thing because it costs less?

The NM2's displays show you what parameter each knob is assigned to. If this is important to you then I'd suggest buying the keyboard. The rack version can be controlled by MIDI just as well as the keyboard version.

Is the old type significantly worse than the new one or is it worth buying?

The new one has new modules the old one doesn't, including various FX like reverb and proper delay. However there are a few things that the NM1 will do that the NM2 won't, and many people who own both prefer the sound of the NM1.

Hope this helps; for more information go here:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/index.p...579d9426a49de4c