ETNOSCOPE!

WOW!

If anyone is a little tired of both full-on trance and clubby/housy progressive trance (like me), then you should give these guys a listen. In my eyes, they are the most improved artists of this year and someone to keep an eye on.

Etnoscope has released a number of tracks across different labels recently:

Spaceless/No Answer 12" (Flow) [both are pyschological killers!]

Tribal Interferences/Pigs go to Hell (Digital Structures) [one beatiful, one mad!]

Stealth Mode (on Iboga's Ectoplasma compilation) [deep driving nightsounds!]

Vattensorja (on Creamcrop's A Deeper View compilation) [one seriously fucked-up trippy track! like a mushroom trip where the sky turns to water, and your dance becomes a swim...]

Like Music rmx (on the Eargear remixes on Hadshot) [also very twisted and very good!]

And everything is very good, far far better than the 1st track they released on Digital Structures. Unlike some of the other DS artists, this music does not sound like it was made for a club. The Etnoscope sound is very deep and psychedelic and serious and tribal-twisted, perfect for the Great Outdoors. The production is nowhere near the level of Ticon or Son Kite, but the sounds and ideas are wicked, and getting more and more mature. The tracks have an almost primitive and elemental quality about them, strengthened by all kinds of mad live drumming and banging and blowing on things. It's not overly perfectionist or careful or precise like much other swedish trance music, and this is good, because the chaos makes the music come to life more. It's tribal dance music, but it has a serious "head" element to it that most trance it missing these days. To me, full-on is just a waste of time, while progressive is good for the body and the heart, but it doesn't address the mind very well. If you like "head" music with your smoke, then give Etnoscope a spin on your turntable.

From the looks of their website (wonderfully designed and very cool graphics BTW), it appears that their live set-up is a bit of a collective, with all kinds of madness going on. This I would very much like to see. Anyone out there in Sweden seen these guys?

Big Greetingz to the Etnoscope crew! And best of luck to your musical future!

--russ

Guest UrhgurH

Just a little detail, vattensörja was made in co op with dj.tvärknas

and was supposed to be a part of a 3 track psycedelic voyage.

The 3 tracks names was:

Äckelslem - Completed but just to wierd to ever unleash on the world

(makes vattensörja seem like housemusic)

Vattensörja - Released on creamcrop

Geggamoja - Was never completed

Yeah Etnoscope are definitly my fave act of this year.

They have released nothing but quality tracks sofar (although I found their tracks released on Creamcrop slightly boring).

I really think they take this Progressive trance techno thing to a new level.

Russ says that their production level is nowhere Son Kite and ticon..I disagree. Their production may not be as clean but it has a raw analog Hardware feel to it. Very pure and alive.

They really know how to capture party-peaktime energy and translate it to raw audio!

These guys are gonna be big!

Support them!

BTW those live pics are awesome...gotta love that treehouse/stage thingie!! 8)

i want to listen to ackelslem! nothing is too strange to unleash on the world. can you download it as mp3 anywhere?

mahoney, that pictures link doesn't seem to be working. ?

wouter, when i said the production was not yet at the highest level, i mean things like the separation of the all the sound elements. the bass and kick and other things do sometimes get a little muddy. but i agree that it sounds fantastic, as the sound suits their style very much--very raw and primitive and analogue-ish. and i agree that these guys are going to be big! get to your local record dealer and support Etnoscope!

Guest Honguito

I saw etnoscope do a liveact summer 2001 in the forrest. It was on of the most amazing acts I've ever been to in my life. They played some AMAZING tribal psy and I really don't really know how to describe how good it actually was. If you ever have the chance to se a live by Etnoscope then don't miss it! It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!!!!