Pop Stream - Railways ~ 2007~ (VISION QUEST)

Sideffect...

VISION QUEST

Pop Stream: Railways (CD) 2007

Posted Image

1. Broad and Skinny

2. Circadians (Pop Stream rmx)

3. Faith

4. Connect the notes

5. Railways

6. Frost (rmx)

7. Echoes

8. Fifty (Pop Stream rmx)

9. Off the track

10. Happy

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/viq/viq1cd063.html

General:

Well here we are, one of the first albums of 2007, To be honest nothing new here, but still noticing an evolution I expected.

Comparing this album to other artist I would say the latest album of protoculture (there’s a rmx of ‘circadians’ on the release so…

Railways has the same crystal clear sounds like the protoculture album, instead of fast and super euphorically morning full on they represent a more subtle concept,

It’s warm and gentle just like cosmic tone used to create. The atmosphere reminds me of the future prophecy album “concept of love” What I like about this album is that the typical morning full on baseline isn’t that super fast anymore. The kick is more important and I like that. I didn’t mind the fact that the baseline became more important within the psychedelic trance concept, but it annoyed me sometimes that it was so fast that following it with your mind or dancing got pretty boring and repetitive. The new kick I experience here is more funky and has a more back/front style instead of just rolling ahead. The smoothness makes it good for home listening. But then again the level of psychedelic lowers more and more, ok, no problem for me, I like music or I don’t but it’s obvious this release has more trance influences. In the advancement you notice more psychedelic sounds, short speaking/crackling but totally not overloaded and the climaxes are pure synths, no goa crackling sound, 303 style that speaks, goes up and down, none of that is present. This album should be released @ the beginning of springtime or summertime. The atmosphere is very light and morning.

One negative point, I have nothing against vocals in psychedelic trance, do admit I’m very skeptic when I hear them, but pop stream really really pulled it off to create some awful vocals imo. It’s only twice but track 3 named “faith” I skip. My imo off course

Short review of the tracks maybe...

1.Broad and Skinny

Is a good intro track, just showing the atmosphere, slower then the others, very deep kick.

2. Circadians (Pop Stream rmx)

I like this track original from protoculture but I must say pop stream rmx is pretty good, fact is you already know the track so well it’s not a surprise. The effect they added to the climax is well done, more waves then synths.

3. Faith

Here the release goes a bit wrong imo, the violins are well done but this sounds like a mumbo jumbo track “I like to move it, move it”. The baseline is crystal clear and very good don’t get me wrong but that voice spoils it totally for me, to bad, the guitars are good and the crystal sounds are beautiful, this track without the vocal would be perfect. If it wasn’t for the vocals this would be the best track of the entire release. Well up to number 4 

4. Connect the notes

start very floating, like most morning full on there’s not much attention for intro’s, the crackling advancement is nice, @ 4th minute they use a baseline break and play with the sounds like infected used to do @ it’s older releases. The end climax is pure euphorically, when the sun rises and sweat is dripping on your shoulders. Pretty good !

5. Railways

enters with that same deep slower kick we heard in the first track, can be compared to the typical “walk in the woods” baseline what is a main mark of progressive. The track is pretty the same as “connect the notes” but without ending in a euphorically climax but that’s ok, it’s amusing and very detailed.

6. Frost (rmx)

Again a very nice baseline, surfing/riding on the waves, smooth to follow and crystal clear kick. The end climax is the most goa minded one of the release imo, crackling warm sound.

7. Echoes

a continue of psychedelic sounds speaking through your speakers, no bad parts but not stunning well done.

8. Fifty (Pop Stream rmx)

this is a well know song, I think the original is from triptych and released on a compilation, don’t remember which one, it’s the second track. I start to notice that pop stream rmx is keeping the entire original track and adding their sound to it. Other rmx’s change more but that not the fact here.

9. Off the track

here we go full on all the way, the fastest track of the release and most motivating, I like the advancement pop stream managed to create a good vibe here. The melodies are great, those are typical morning full on waves sliding over the baseline independent. Very very nice track !

10. Happy

to bad we have to end this way, the vocals again remind me of a boys band singing love songs to 14 year old teenagers, but then again without the vocals the track is pretty ok.

End conclusion:

nothing new but well done, some track are not that good but psychedelic trance albums where all tracks are good are rare. I like the not overloaded, noisy concept. It quite relaxing to be uplifting trance.

i,m new here..my english isn't the best but..

i would like to strart this new year learning more and new stuff related with the trance scene..

so...

abut the cd,i must say it is a fantastic review..

i agree with the huge amount of voices,and even not much psychedelic..

but it also has some value..like number9,it has something magical...

a good cd to listen at home,not in the dance floor,in my opinion..eheheh

• 3 months later...

Im usually a lover of music that many might consider cheese, but this truelly sounds to me like Im left empty after listening to it. I cant get into this sound for some strange reason. I have listened to it many times in many different moods and nothing grabs me. I get bored very quick.