Mp3's

Guest PsyMike

I personally dont use them (well not that much) as i have generally seem to have money to spend on cd's as and when i want one, but i dont really have anything against mp3's. I think for one mp3's shouldn't be slated as not all mp3's are illegal and not all people use illegal mp3's. Any there are a really great way of compressing and carrying music. Much better than gettting say 10 tunes on a tape, when u can get 50 tunes on a mp3 cd for your cd walkman or whatever, and thats not tunes you've nicked, thats tunes you've downloaded.

Secondly for instance mp3.com use mp3's to help promote un-signed artists who can't get a contract and need to promote there tunes for free, so its a great way of spreading music for the people who are less fortunate to have little contacts in the music business.

Also i would like to say though i have started buying alot more music these days.........its because of mp3's, this is because before when i wanted to buy cd's i wouldn't be able to know what the artist sounded like, so i would generally go on reviews or word of mouth, but the person who knows what music u like the most is yourself, so this has deifnately been able to give the me the access to open my mind to alot more artists and types of music.

What im saying in short is alot of people round here are slaging off mp3's becuase they are illegal and artists are losing money, but i think it actually has helped music become bigger, like psy-trance i reckon has become bigger from the help of mp3's floating the scene. I dont think i would of heard the wide varity of artists if had not been for that.

so i respect mp3's and think they have done alot for the music business.

also another good point is, becuase all these big money players are losing money from the mp3's, its giving small artists the chance to shine and im finding theres alot of varity of music and artists around than ever before.

so im not saying mp3 are the best thing to help a scene, but there not all bad, and alot of people round here are giving it all 'mp3's are shit and bad for scene', when actually they could be helping the scene, think about it!

just my 2 cents

Guest PsyMike

alpha, no need for that!.....ive voicing my opinion which is what ur supposed to do on a forum, if u dont like the thread, dont answer!!!

Guest Full Lotus

Mike

it depends on the quality ie what bit rate they are encoded it. The sound quality does still leave a bit to be desired for, but as a format for travelling and personal use(so long as it's all legit), it's OK. I wouldn't DJ with them though. My opinion....

Guest Psymike

full lotus - what do u dj with.........cd's or records?

i know alot of people use cd's, but surely that restricts u from doing things with the music, or maybe it doesn't ( i wouldnt know as ive never dj with cd's)

restrict? ... nonono ... djing is with a mixer, cd players or vinyl is just a music capturing device ... when something has a pitch it's perfect for djing ... cd quality is better than vinyl imo ... now with the cdj 1000 you can do ALOT more with music than any other vinyl deck ...

clear enough? :::-)

Guest Full Lotus

Mike, I DJ with both, I find CD's a little easier than vinyl. It depends also on which CD decks you use. Most of them these days have a jog dial for that 'vinyl' feel.....these days, I play more and more with CD's as there is more music available. I still buy vinyl, but only EP's these days. I do know one DJ who plays mp3's from his laptop...

Guest psymike

mr. lotus, im definately up for seeing u dj soon man, as im going travelling for a while. would be good to put a set to the name if ya get my meaning ;)