How do you organize parties?

Simply That... How the hell do you people throw parties? for example if it's in a club... How do you get it organized there?? Do you just walk in one day and say.. eh hey i wana throw a party here.... And also... Are you one of the DJs? Or are you just a goa head? Or perhaps a guy that just invests in 'party throwing' (a technical term lol). And if it's out in the forest or outdoors somewhere. HOW do you get stuff happining there? Do you have to get permits from someone? Where do you get them? Or do you just set up one night and hope your not busted? Do you use your own money for everything? How much is it? Do you rent the soundsystem? What about decor? Who does that? What happends when you are busted? etc...

I've always wanted to know how these parties are organized... Becuase I would like to organize one one day and show what awesome ideas I have. :D

Please elaborate :)

Guest etherdesign

Well.. established clubs have rules.. especially in the US.. you need alot of cash for a party here.. if you have a party in the US you have to pay for permits, major permits.. first depts and on top of that, you have to have police-recognized security.. that is for everything.. if it is a club, you need to pay a big fee upfront for the normal business they loose during those hours.. if it is in the middle of nowehere, well, someone owns that land.. you need to pay them and you need to assure them that everything has been taken care of for them to be able to trust you.. it is their land, and if anything happens you and therefor they are held responsible.. you need security and permits... there is no going around there, there are alot of security that are 'kind of lax' or 'friendly'.. so to say.. but there are alot of security that are mean and blackmailing.. you need to be kind of 'in the know' for that.. in the US.. which I assume you are talking about since you are from there.. you either need to rent out an expensive club in a rather non-residential neighborhood (in a residential neighborhood there are noise complaints and then police).. you need to find a warehouse or building out od the way, or a club of the sort, or else proposition a farmer with alot of land (farmers nowawadays will probably jump at the chance seeing as how they don't make much of any money nowadays)

Above all, make sure all the permits are in order, there is nothing worse than a good vibe being broken up by the cops.. I hav experienced many such parties.. not psy.. but raves.. being a part of the underground scene in milwaukee, wisconsin since 1991 (and a listener since 1987), you learn a few things..

look at they DIY section of hyperreal.org for some good suggestions.. although old, they still hold string..

This worked in New York City and we had some amazing FREE parties.

Start an email list (like at yahoo groups). Someone will have to be the list moderator to take care and run things.

You need to be honest and dedicated or nothing will work.

Get a group of people interested in having their own parties.

Each person donates a cetain amount of money. (say $20)

Each person who donates $$ get's on the email list.

Anyone who has equipment that they can donate gets on the list for free so long as they donate their equipment for the parties.

Let's say you get 50 people to join. At $20 each that is $1000.00. Not a bad start.

Take this $ and get a gasoline generator.

You will also need an amplifier, mixer, power cords, black lights. Ask everyone you know. Anyone who can donate gets on the list for free.

Hopefully someone will have turntables, or cdj's.

It is also good to have at least 1 person involved who is knowledgable in the technical end, such as how many volts you have or need, and what kind of cables.

Get a list of the local unheard-of psych/goa dj's and post the list online. Let everyone on the email list vote on who they want to spin.

Also vote on a time and date for the party.

Now you need to find a safe free location. Outdoors is always preffered. Private property is best. If you are in a big city go to a park in a gehto neigborhood. the cops usually wont bust a well hidden party in a bad neigborhood if no one is getting killed.

It is always good to have a few large friends in case people try and give you trouble. Israelies are often good (many are brave, have military training, and love trance).

In new York we had outdoor parties in Manhatten under a bridge. A bridge is great because...

It is outside yet well hidden,

cover from the rain,

the cars drown out the sound of the music to any one on top of the bridge.

The neighborhood was dangerous, the locals would come down with their 40's and malt liquor looking for trouble. So you give each one of them a FAT joint. Now you are partying together (this really did work 4 us).

Once you have a location and everything is set you send an email out to everyone who is on the list telling when and where the party is. Everyone on the list can bring whoever they want for free. The people who come for free should bring something for the party.

Incense, fruit, water (big bottles), face paint, chai, art work to show, black lights, blankets, trash bags, and so on.

Make sure to have someone sober to fill the generator with gas, put out fires, and talk to police.

Have a sign up that says, "No DRUGS" or "No DRUG DEALING", or "RESPECT THE NEIGHBORS". This will look good if cops show up and is good advice all together.

If police show up, REMEMBER to RESPECT them. If you piss them off your party is gone. Let them know what you are doing. Make sure that everyone on the list knows to bring their drugs with them so they are not being delt in the open at the party. Police hear dance music and think RAVE!, Drug Dealers!!!

"THIS IS NOT A RAVE it is a trance party", "we just want to dance, we'll turn the volume down if that is the problem", "this event is non profit and it is to help the community".

That last part is most important. Bring garbage bags. The area you are in should be cleaner when you leave then when you came. This is not only good karma, but shows that you are doing something positive even from a policemans percpective.

Towards the end of the party everyone helps to pick up trash. EVERYONE.

DON'T SELL ANYTHING!!!!!! That goes for water and food too. Everything should be donated and free. That way it remains non-profit.

It is important to BE AWARE of who's neigborhood you are partying in. The hommies don't always appreciate a bunch of rich white kids on acid dancing on their turf. In my experience you just have to be smart and don't @!#$ with them!

Last summer at a similar party, not thrown by the group I was involved in but at our bridge location, some stupid suburban white kid found his wallet missing and went after the locals who he thought took it. He got stabbed. He's ok but it made the Nerws paper and we had to keep away from that bridge for awhile.

Take this recepie and add yor own spices, just remember...

If you keep it FREE, honest, and do it with love it WILL work.

Boom

CE

nice vibes...thats the kind of party that has the best ambiance....im starting to think who will be on my email list.. ; )

For an authenctic trance culture.

Guest Mescalinium

Hey Entity, I don't know if you still go to parties in New York, but at the last synethetic sadhus party, they had a guy doing live video productions and he spliced some footage of those bridge parties, which was projected on a huge screen to the side of the dancefloor. Absolutely amazing!

In Sweden too (maybe more forests than lakes though), but only for approx 9 months of the year since its wet and cold the rest of the year... You still have forest parties in Funland? ;)

I mean parties for 3 months in the forest since 9 months its dreadful out there. Its like a pregnancy! You carry a party in your belly over the winter hehe...

my partie last week was organize in a farm

friend of mine very rich have this farm and they done many good party in :)

nice nice

but it was -11 degree celcius :(

houuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

cold cold !

I am not in New York now, but I know who shot and projected that footage at the Synthetic Sadus party.

Synthetic Sadus has always let me down. They are a RAVE style party with the top names in psych/goa trance, but they play always in these terrible locations, like the Amazura Ballroom. Many people like these parties, but I get tired of the same impersonnal locations that they use.

Big promoters like S.S. is why a group of us got together to throw our own NON-PROFIT more personnal parties.

When it is non profit no corners are cut, everything is pure and for the experience. People all over the world that came to NY would hear about and come to our free out door parties. California Sunshine even did a free show for us under the bridge once.

If you want to throw a GOOD party NO ONE should be trying to profit. It makes it easier for people to fall into a trance when they do not have to worry about how much $$ they have left for a bottle of water.

The more people to have a GOOD experience the more will come back to your next party.

CE

If you book them they will come ...

I don't know how it is where you are, but in the UK if you can secure a good location for an outdoor party in the summer, then just about everything else can be done for free because producers, decor artists, djs and everyone else just loves the outdoor party feeling. I help the Breathing Space lads put on parties sometimes, and literally all they had to pay for was the generator and fuel. We got several live acts, lots of djs, a 20K rig (mostly bits from Blue Room) lighting & decor all free - and the food was done by a friend of mine who has a mobile cafe - he shared his profits with the party organisers, and they ended up making a small turnover for the event.

Try to get yourself friendly with the right people - it's not what you know but who you know. All this needs is some friendly phonecalls, gradually working your way along the 'friend of a friend of a friend' chain until you get a bunch of keen people ... and then it can all be yours !!

bomble