goa

sorry for asking this here...i know its the wrong topic but i didn´t get any answers at the travel-topic. so i guess threre are more ears (or rather eyes...) here.

i am to travel to goa or thailand, but i dont know wich one. i´ve heard that

threre are much more partis in thailand (new-year...) then goa nowadays, is this true???

i dont know much of this and i wouldnt wanto travel to one of the places and found out there is no parties....

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

I think that there are more parties in Thailand nowdays, but I'd choose Goa any day. The place just have more spirit, imo. Besides, if you are lucky enough to experience one good goa party, you'd know that you made the right choise going there. And, travelling around in India is something very special and it is something to remember and cherish all your life.

Viva Hindustan!

/Johan

Guest Full Lotus

Depends where you go in Thailand. Every full moon there is a party at Hadrin beach in Koh Pan Gang. It's quite commercial, and there is alot of undercover police presence. Mind you, I hear there are smaller parties, but you would have to ask around. That was the case when I went in 97. As for Goa, well usually around Christmas and New Year, there are parties. The police have tried to stop these in previous years under pressure from the State government, but they do go on, as a lot of locals do depend on them. The parties are usually centred around Vagator and Anjuna. The best place to find out is the Primrose Cafe in Vagator(imho). I myself, am hoping to do Goa this year. Wherever you decide to go, be careful. Try not to keep valuables on you, and if you must take them, then try and keep them in a safety deposit box. On party nights in Goa, the number of break-ins and robberies usually increases. Also beware the cops in both Goa(India in general)and Thailand.

Hope that helps.

Bom BholeNath

Guest Spindrift

I allways thought that it's mostly fluffy people on e and alcohol in thailand, so I never went there myself.....goa seem to be great party wise nowadays in december, but a few day's after new year the parties get stopped. A bit more full on than thailand parties wich tend to be a bit more housey cheezy music, according to many of the ppl i know going to both.

Of course if I would be going lot's of times to thailand to hear the oppinions there on goa, I might have a different view.

But most people seems to agree that thailand is more easy going, more certain that parties will be on and more people, but less vibe than goa....

Guest Spindrift

Absolutley right, I only speak about thailand from my prejudgement....so don't take too much notice...so I agree with both your post's....so actually i know that your right, so that makes you wrong....but then I'm wrong.......nm :-)

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

Leo the Leo!

How long will you stay in Goa this year, after selling your ticket home and your passport? =)

.. and you better practice that volleyball!

/Johan "my charas is better than yours" Mc Craft

Guest Spindrift

Heheheh,

Well ,haven't seen u much in action on the field, so you better come and prove your not only talk this year......

So recharge those batteries man and come this year!

I really want to be there december, seems like that's when it's happening....partywise....and I won't leave until the library send me home :-)

Guest Spindrift

Hmm...cristmas time there will for sure be partys in vagator or something, so we see if much people will bother to go gokarna.

Late in the season I take that chance, but around x-mas i don't think I would venture there.....it's a lot of hassle going far away from vagator/anjuna for party, and risky.

Police can give you bamboo massage and smash up your bike if your unlucky It almost happend to me in panolem once and appened to people in the aptly named 'bambolim' this year.

But feb-april there can be nice parties there.

Although last time I was there it was some guy playing this cheezy trance pop tunes all morningjoke>

So I would say disco-valley or hill-top will be quite action packed, but we will see...

"bamboo massage" Haha!

Yes sure I'm not saying that Goa "won't be happenin'" during the xmas time, I'm just sayin' that Gokarna will ALSO be happenin' during the xmas time... The crowds are partly separate, so it'll be all good. Anyway Hill-Top sucks as a venue, I could just as well be partyin' on my own backyard. ;) Disco Valley, were there any parties in Disco Valley last season? Wasn't there myself but heard it was quite dead party-wise.

Guest Spindrift

It was a great party on new years in disco valley, there should been one on x-mas as well, but due to some intrigues between locals and some dj's it got cancelled, as did one party in anjuna....the whole story ending with massage for a couple of dj's......real mess the whole party running scene there.

I didn't like hill top much before, but it's a huge fucking backyard, and there is some jungle there, and it's sure better than paradisco or something like that....but yes it doesn't feel 100% like a party venue, somehow it has this club feeling or something.....

There was a couple of very nice partys there though last season that made me grow to accept it.

I'm sure there will be quite a bunch escaping from the maddness of goa during x-mas new year, but if you are after what i would define as 'a big bash' then stay I would stay in bardez....

Ok dude, nice to hear some first hand info. Plus, last season there was an election of some sort, and they had to force the "no music after 10pm" -law harder than usual in order to keep the certain groups happy. No elections this year, so maybe the scene will blossom into something bigger and better once again.

Guest Spindrift

Belive me nowadays there is allways something after december....elections, exams or whatever...and the speculation always is going about why there is or is not party......

Elections could be a part of it, but the year before there wasn't any, and not more parties, but i hope you are right..they have softened up a bit on dope, so who knows, maybe things are changing....at least last year there was hardly no police paranoia, so thats a big improvment...

But if the scene would kick of too much again, I'm sure they will put the lid on again, otherwise the place would become overcrowded....

Oh, this topic was about Thailand also, so:

Koh Pha-Ngan still is the happening place (although it seems that every island has it's own happening, usually @ either full moon or dark moon, but some think it's necessary to celebrate the half moon as well ;). The traditional FMP on Pha-Ngan is little more than a big fest of piss-drunk morons relieving themselves in the shallow water or littering the beach beyond unspeakable, but Tommy Resort runs a nice psy-party at Full Moons and is recommended for that. Then there's this place called Backyard (which, contrary to some opinions, I found quite a nice place to party... that wooden floor gives amazing resonance under the stomping feet ;) that has parties on tue, thu, sat (?, the schedlue is of course a subject to change). It's located on a hill overlooking Leela Beach (Haad Sri Kaen-Tang), the place of another party-location (Leela Beach Bungalows, regular after party venue and a great place to stay). Parties away from Haad Rin take place maybe 3 times a week, at places like the Paradise Waterfalls and Haad Graud, a beautiful, remote little beach. These are advertised thru flyers handed out @ Backyard and little posters, often seen @ Leela. Of course, the good old "word of mouth" is still widely practised. ;) Song Thaews (= the taxis) are always in the know regarding parties, so if you're not sure just walk to Chicken Corner in Haad Rin, there should be hordes of taxi-drivers willing to take you to the party for ~50-100B if there's one somewhere. Of course, renting a motorbike is never a bad idea (although the road between Haad Rin and Thong Sala is about as dangerous as they get). So, all in all, it's quite possible to stay on Koh Pha-Ngan and party almost every night. Music varies from time to time but things seemed quite progressive last winter, but parties @ Backyard were mostly Full On from start to begin. Also some old-skool tunes every once in a while so musically the scene is a tastefully mixed bag really. ;)

Guest Spindrift

Disco valley jan2001? I can't remember that, are u sure it wasn't in dec?

My impression of the two last seasons was the same, both definaly okayish. Two years ago i didn't arrive before new years, and then people said there was loads of parties, but then the next few months i went only to a couple good one's.

It seems to me like a pattern the last few years dec=good and jan,feb,mar=bad on the party permission front.

But then the few parties that are allowed in the late season can be very good because ppl havent been partying 4-5 days a week and is a bit more charged.

Anyway, it's all good, if you stay a season and have a 3-4 blinding parties, and a bunch of decent ones, where else on earth do you get something that will be able to match that?

Also just hanging out every night at nine bar is great as well, with all the different dj's playing there.