Mood Deluxe - "The Tangent Universe"

healium

Just a short review here....

This album is somewhere in the neighborhood of breakbeat psy-downtempo... A mix of styles really, some of veering toward full psytrance style...

I love a couple of the tracks - 3 and 11 are fantastic - beautiful sounds and melodies, great styel...

Much of this album though feels thrown together poorly or forced, and breakbeats in general sound discordant to me...

Some of it it just simply unpleasant to me - too jarring, rough sounding...

Tracks are very complex and full of sounds - it may be that I just haven't "gotten" this album properly yet - although I've listened to it several times...

Anyone else have an opinion?

Yeah, I've heard this a few times and IMO it gets better towards the second half of the ceedee. The first half is a little too much crossover with jungle, hiphop and drum 'n breaks, but the second half is a very groovy and tastey mix of breaks and psytrance. Very booty shakeable, I love this stuff! :) Very nice indeed!

• 5 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Mood Deluxe - The Tangent Universe

Label: Liquid Records

Discogs entry

Just thought it would be nice to see what album we were talking about :)

I was quite surprised by this release when I first heard it... where did it come from? I have'nt heard of Mood Deluxe before, I saw it by accident when I was buying the Slackbaba album released from the same label...

So with no expectations I put this in my cd-player....and what a pleasant experience! Not that all the music can be classified as pleasant (as soft as bunny) but as and musical surprise, some tracks are soft'ich but most tracks have a rough edge! I wound'nt classify this as psy-downtempo though it to fast imo, maybe Closer (track 3) but its still fast though, the album blends in between psy-break/psy-dnb and psy-trance.... This is a real cocktail :) and if you are not in for that.... thats too bad for u!

For me this is a fresh of breath air into psymusic, there is not many artists producing psychedelic breaks/dnb so I welcome Mood Deluxe!

The album starts out relatively slow a lot off deep beats and weird voices, Closer (track 3) is really beautiful! Around track 4-5 it starts to pick up more tempo, a lot of power and dnb elements, now it starts to be fun! I really like The Tangent Universe (track 6) the beat its kinda oddbeat and a lot of crispy sounds and a dnb'sh bassline, a lot of fun!!! Next Zeitgeist (Naked Weapon mix)(track 7) is more psy-trance'ich, nice but not as fun as the previous track. Track 8-10 is a real blend of both breakbeat and psytrance, very interesting! The finishing track Amber is like a finishing track normally is more slow and landing the album again after the journey, a very nice nice and dreamy track though still quite a fast tempo, really good closing track!

So all in all I recommend this to anyone who would like to listen to something different, off course you would have to like the break/dnb sound, and if dont know if u like this check it out anyways. I really like this abum, what a debute!!! B)

And a very high level of prodution skills for sure very well done!!!

Fav's: 3, 6!!, 8!, 9!!!, 10!

Listen to samples here:

Saiko Sounds

Psyshop

Hey man,

Glad you like the Tangent Universe, and thanks for supporting the Mood Deluxe project :D .

Im finishing up my second album on Liquid Records which is out before the new year hopefully. Its not Mood Deluxe though, its my downtempo project Nagual Sound Experiment (NSE).Big Heavy, edgy dub and glitch....very slow but also quite hard and dark...using a lot of the dark dnb/ dubstep sounds within a roots/dub context...

http://www.triskelemanagement.com/nagualsoundexperiment/

myspace.com/liquidnse

myspce.com/mooddeluxe

Bless Up!

Cameron

Mood Deluxe/NSE (LIquid-Records.com)

Wow that sound very interesting! Next year u say ^_^ I will be looking forward to that!

I really like your Tangent Universe, awsome stuff! I played Wrong Way (track 9) as my finishing track yesterday and the people at the party when mental! That track is so power full, I love it! I hope there will be coming of that style too :P