What is 303?

Guest Zaramatu

The 303 is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now in this very room. You can hear it when you look out your window. Or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work. When you go to Church. When you pay your taxes. It is the sound that has been pulled over your ears to blind you from the truth.

Nice one Zaramatu :~D

I've never used it although a freind of mine has it, i think it does lots of acidy sounds/melodies...Lots of old school goa tracks were produced using a 303...i hope this helps a bit

BooM!

The 303 is a Roland Rhythm machine, there's also a 909 version....there are no identical 303 machines....each one is different, each one has a unique sound that's different from others...this is because in the process of making one the sound of it depends on the air temperature..that's all I know about them...I also know that when they came out they were really cheap....about 50 euros.....now just add one zero to that amount....there's a really good 303 sound in Logic Bomb - Drop by Anytime in the middle of the track...

Guest Elysium Project

303 is a reversed version of the 3 digits 303

nahh kidding...dowla the 303 is not a rythm machine but a Roland Bass machine originally used to accompinate piano players ect...the Roland 808 and 909 drum machines was made some years later and had nothing to do with the TB-303.

It was widely used in the late 80's and early 90's in acid house and was adapted into trance and spread into diffrent genres amoung them goa and psy. It's not that widely used today but you will still be able experience bands using it.

Tentwins I recommend that you try to find some of Green Nuns Of The Revolution old releases...they used to use the 303 all the time.

Here's a picture of it....

roland.TB-303.fischer.jpg

The TB303 (Transistor Bass) was introduced in the early 1982's together with the TR606 Drumatix (Transistor Rythm) by Roland. It was invented by Tadao Kikumoto. At that time the 303 was not an expensive piece, only about £215. The two small plastic-pieces were intended to emulate a real bass player and a real drummer. Obviously only very few musicians used the TB303 and TR606 for that purpose because the machines just could not replace the real thing. Their sounds didn't anywhere come near a real bass or drumset, and the musicians didn't want to go through the time-consuming task of programming the machines. Since nobody wanted the TB303 anymore, Roland stopped producing them 18 months after releasing it. At that time they'd produced about 20.000 copies alltogether.

It was not until 1987 when a DJ (rumors has it that it was DJ Pierre) came up with the idea to turn the knobs while playing the TB303 that acid house was born. After that the machine suddently became more and more wanted.

http://www.tb-303.org/

Yrd, the 303 aound is great, I have always loved the way it gets adreanline rushing, and the peak it gives :-) My suggestion is that you go listen to either of these 2 tracks:

Chris Liberator - 303 Power

Loci - London Acid City.

Bother are classic acid techno tunes, full of hard beats and nonstop peaking 303 riffs.

• 3 weeks later...

Moni:

Don't know which Tomek you might mean. Tomek is actually Polish for Tomasz or Thomas in English.

My names is Tomek Roehr from Bigwigs/Tromesa and Zenglodon