Artist: Texas Faggott

DeathPosture

Made on 05-30-01 with Pentti Slayer and Tim Thick by Mindbender

1) What were you doing before writing psy-trance ?

Pentti: Pissing in my pants.

Tim: Musicwise ?

Pentti: Pissing in my bed.

2) In any way... What did you do in life, maybe musicwise or otherwise ?

Pentti: I played drums, went to school.

Tim: I went to kindergarden... Because in Finland they start going to school at seven. But actually I started making psy-trance when I was seven and we lived in England and so I was going to school, in third grade or so.

3) So you were making psychedelic music already then ?

Tim: Or just shortly after, when I went to Finland from there. Or actually it was the second grade in Finland when I came back.

Pentti: Also the drums. The band in which I played it was also psychedelic. That was a killer band. Soon it will have a come back.

4) When was this ?

Pentti: '90.

5) How and when did you start making psychedelic trance ?

Pentti: I started '93. I don't know if it was psy-trance.

Tim: But ofcourse it was. What else was it then ?

Pentti: I don't know... It was with this Mac Mavis guy.

6) And how was it ?

Pentti: It was good. It still is.

Tim: Well, I answered it in the previous question, but it was in England in '85 when my dad bought me the first Atari and the Yamaha TX-1Z, that's when I started making it. And I still have the tracks from the Atari. And I still use it.

7) What about your musical background? First sudies or compositions ?

Tim: Too much studies. I fed up of studies as quite young. I stopped at 17, but I had started already at four.

8) Music ?

Tim: Yeah, only music. It was fucking boring.

9) Did you learn a lot ?

Tim: No... no... I learned more with the Atari... and dad.

10) Your dad did music ?

Tim: Yeah, mom too. And their moms and dads. It goes in the family.

11) Any known people or artists ?

Tim: No... Maybe somewhere... but not on planet Earth.

12) And you, Pentti ?

Pentti: I've been playing drums since I was twelve.

13) And how old were you then when you started making psy-trance ?

Pentti: Twenty.

14) Why did you choose to make psy-trance over any other medium of music ?

Tim: Do we have a choice ?

Pentti: Yeah, I don't know.

15) Could you elaborate on that ?

Tim: I could ask that why do you want to call this type of music psy-trance, just as well. I don't think I would get an answer on that. It just happens. If I'd have a choice, I would make easy listening. But were just practising.

16) And you, Pentti ?

Pentti: Just easy listening.

17) How did you come up with name Texas Faggott ?

Tim: There is this instrument, the faggott instrument, which we were sampling. And then we had to choose from one of our many, many, many band names. We used on every track a different band name. Like we still do, except when somebody wants to release them. Andrew Till said that 'Hey, you have to have one name to release one record'. So then we had choose an international one and then only one was Texas Faggott... And because we had been sampling te faggot instrument, I thought it was appropriate.

18) And how about Mandalavandalz ?

Pentti: Who are they ?

Tim: I've heard of them.

Pentti: I've heard of them.

19) And Shiwa 2000 ?

Tim: Yeah, I admit.

Pentti: I don't.

Tim: What about Shiwa ?

20) How did come up with name ?

Tim: Aah... Wel, well. I think it is pretty obvious where Shiwa 2000 comes from.

Pentti: It's just one letter.

Tim: And I can say that foreigners will never understand it so might as well not even comment on it. It our Finns little secret.

21) And Mandalavandalz, you don't want to comment on the name ?

Tim: Oh, oh... I've heard a rumour that the name comes from that eight Buddhist monks spent the week the using millions of grains of fine coloured sand to create a large sand-painting mandal and this mandala was destroyed by vandalz. Such ceremonies help the monks to reduce attachments and desires.

Pentti: But it is just a rumour.

22) So how do these different projects differ or do they differ at all ?

Pentti: No.

Tim: No.

23) Do have any future projects that differ in other ways, except the name ?

Tim: Well, the most notable one should be definetly the Demon Teachers project on MDMT records.

Pentti: And I've also heard of a rumour on Mandalavandalz that it's going to be released really soon on Karelia records.

Tim: But, that's not a rumour.

24) Anything else ?

Tim: Well, http://play.at/thixxndixx There's the sound for the party tonight. You don't need a frisbee to party tonight. It's all I can say.

25) Are there any other artists you'd like to work with ?

Pentti: I'd like to make a track with these Machu Pichu. The guys from Latin America that play in the srteets. They have pretty similar tracklists everywhere, they're great. Or maybe with some really good fake Elvis.

Tim: I'd like to work with Lords of Acid.

26) What do you think about Lords of Acid ?

Tim: I think it's very nice. New-school Goa-trance.

27) Do you have any other future album release plans ?

Pentti: Soon.

Tim: After September, April possibly. ASAP.

28) Is making psy-trance sufficient for living, or do you have other jobs ?

Tim: Yeah, I have another job, but it is definetly not sufficient for living. It should be the other way around. That life is sufficiet enough to make psy-trance. So that it is the only way I can think it to be, because otherwise it goes the wrong way. What the heck! How can you then know what it really is, if you approach it from the other direction. So can't really think of it in that way. If somebody makes a living out of it, I'm pretty sure that there has to be something wrong, because I haven't seen it possible and everybody I have seen doing it, have been doing it the right way, from the other direction.

Pentti: We get travels.

Tim: Yeah, yeah.

Pentti: That's better than money.

Tim: My other job is the system administrator of the universal proxy.

29) What are you doing in life except working and making music ?

Pentti: Nothing. We travel.

Tim: But we've been making music also while travelling, so nothing.

Pentti: Maybe sometimes watch TV.

Tim: I don't.

Pentti: But I work for a record company.

Tim: I like stare at the monitor 17-18 hours a day and it's starting to hurt. It has been like that for years and years and years. Maybe soon, it is worth doing something else.

Pentti: I work for Karelia [Finnish psy label] records.

30) Who else works with you at Karelia records ?

Pentti: There's a guy called Ruppa Hodari, Mr. Lahtinen and I can't remember the last bums name, but you can check it out in the internet. www.kareliarecords.com

31) So where do you get your inspiration for music and what are your main influences ?

Pentti: niffing glue.

Tim: Ricky Farting. Britney Spears.

Pentti: I like this thing [he's playing with a 'vappu' or mayday toy, that makes a sound]. It is very inspiring.

Tim: Finnish vappu is very inspiring.

Pentti: When you're bored it is inspiring.

Tim: I answered to this question also already by saying that life should be sufficient enough to make psy-trance. Because it springs from it it and celebrates it. It is it itself.

32) What other artists do you like ?

Tim: I like... I like them all.

Pentti: I don't like anything..

Tim: I mean it is all ok, it just bothers me secretly.

Pentti: I secretly like something... It's a secret so I can't tell.

Tim: I secretly don't like somethings. Secret Chiefs. Secret Chiefs. That's the other artist we like. And Omituisten Otusten Kerho. And I.L.O, I.L.O. is our main inspiration. http://come.to/silokki is their home page. They're one of my favourite artsts. Young shamans from Finland.

33) What other music styles do you like ?

Pentti: I like everything which is good.

Tim: I like only house-music.

Pentti: Tough disco.

Tim: I just decided. I just decided! I like only house-music.I like old Goa.

Pentti: Koa. Koti-Koa.

Tim: 'Look, mom. I made some music'-Goa.

34) Which of your own tracks do you like the best ?

Tim: I like Hjalemaa on the first record.

Pentti: I like Horny Motel.

Tim: I like Hjalemaa, because Horny Motel is a little bit personal.

Pentti: Horny Motel is personal, but I like Hjalemaa second best..

Tim: They are the closest to easy-listening. They are closest to our destiny. But now I think we've improved so much that it is much more easy listening than the before. We're getting there. Someday we'll be really making easy listening.

Pentti: Maybe we can make a few good tracks for the future ?

Tim: Yes, we're trying. Trying hard everyday. [Laughter] [sigh]

35) What's your recipe or how do you make a good track ?

Tim: First you put a bass drum.

Pentti: The bass drum is the hardest.

Tim: Yeah. [laughter] Then you put one 303. Or Rebirth... Then you put 128 bars of that and then you put in a sample, which says 'psychedelic aliens' and then...

Pentti: Or 'space aliens'.

Tim: 'Space aliens' is also ok. Then it starts again and for approximately 5 or 10 minutes it goes on. Then you record it onto DAT and then you copy it on your computer and upload to a server and come back to check after 10 years if somebody has clicked it.That's all you need to do. Then it is a killer.

Pentti: But the hi-hats also. Don't forget the hi-hats!

Tim: It adds spice.

Pentti:You can do it without, but it's a little spice.

Tim: Actually for ingredients, it is better to consult Squaremeat, because I have heard they cook pretty cool soup.

Pentti: Hot soup, rather.

36) What equipment do you use to make music ?

Pentti: Rebirth and bass drum... and hi-hats.

Tim: And the general midi toaster. But it is a little bit broken. I heard there is some guy somewhere in Bulgaria, who can fix it. But you need to get a van to drive there. Because ESEK [a Finnish association supporting artists] won't give us the funds.

Pentti: And then there is this [playing with the vappu instrument again]. It is very important.

Tim: Vappu instruments.

Pentti: And a microphone. And the bitch-to-midi converter.

37) Do you use psychedelics and if so does it influence the music that you make ?

Tim: I don't know.

Pentti: I don't tell... I don't use anything. I've tried everything, but I don't use anything.

Tim: Yeah, I don't know. I really don't know. Maybe, maybe it's because, if I would have taken psychedelics I would have affected my consciousness, which I am conscious of, so how could have I noticed if they affect the music ? I don't know. And even if I knew, I probably wouldn't remember anymore.

38) Do you DJ, and if so, what type of stuff do you play ?

Tim: No... But I would play DJ Kraavilohi In Mursu We Trust -LP. On a never ending loop. And ofcourse Jean Pierre and Micheal Henry psyche-rock. Old classics to end the set. Maybe someday I learn to be a DJ.

Pentti: I have a beat calculator.

Tim: Alright! You've been secretly practising to be a DJ!

Pentti: Yeah, like with beats. Tapping the beats.

Tim: Yeah, I have to confess also that I have this one friend who is a DJ, who could show me how to Dj, but I don't think I have time for it. I think DJing is too difficult for us.

39) When and where was your best party and why was it the best ?

Tim: It wasn't.

Pentti: It was like when I was 5 or 6 I drank like 6 cokes in one birthday party and had a huge amount of cake. And almost shitted in my pants.

Tim: Wow, that's trippy.

Pentti: Yes, it was a killer party.

Tim: But then you didn't shit after all.

Pentti: No, I ran home. It was like a question of seconds.

Tim: I redefine my answer. The best party is next party.

40) What was your worst party then ?

Pentti: It was the same one. It was so fun when I ate, but my stomach didn't like it, so it was also the worst party. When I was 6 at a classmates birthday. Still having dreams...

Tim: The worst party was the first one.

41) What's your opinion on the drugs related to parties and the music ?

Tim: I think people should start sniffing glue a lot more, because it is legal and it doesn't hurt.

Pentti: It's not so like dangerous.

Tim: Yes, because you don't get involved with criminals. And you get hallucinations and a psychedelic state.

Pentti: And it is cheap!

Tim: And you could never this kind of a state with the psychedelics they sell on the streets, I have heard. Also I think it is very rude the way these snuff dealers walk around at the parties selling snuff, snooze, Swedish tobacco.

Pentti: You know Swedish snuff dealers.

Tim: That's such a strong psychedelic that people need the proper spiritual guidance to accept the state.

Pentti: And experienced guide. Preferably Swedish.

Tim: I think people should stop taking that snooze stuff.

Pentti: At least the rough stuff. Like 'pussinuuska', the snuff already in bags, it is a milder drug. Maybe it should be legalized. Not the bad stuff, not the hard stuff.

42) What do you think about the scene globally ?

Tim: [long silence] I think so many different things about it everyday, that I can't remember everything I've been thinking. My opinion changes every second, and I am not exaggerating. And I wouldn't have noticed, unless I return to the same point but with a lot more and nothing less. That where I end up when I think globally everyday, I end up always at the same point, but with a lot more. It changes so much every second, that I can't grasp even right now. I think it would be easier for people concentrate on true manners that provide us these experiences than to try to define these different types of things and just play it out. All that has nothing to do with this in my opinion and that is why it is sometimes better to just to go with your eyes closed to place of which we were talking about. And when you walk with your eyes closed, you think a lot of things.

Pentti: I was a test driver for team monde, I have to walk everywhere we go eyes closed, globally. So I can't really tell anything about it. I've been there, but I haven't seen anything. Except black.

Tim: And it was particularly handy when we got these blindfolds from British Airways.

Pentti: Yeah, kinky shit. Good for parties. But here in Finland I don't have my glasses, so I can't see anything right now, but I used to see something before our journeys.

Tim: Where are your glasses, mate ?

Pentti:They're broken.

43) How do you think trance music will evolve in the future ?

Tim: Exponentially. Well, I say, that I know the future to be dualistic. Other, first, there will be big-stiff-rhythmic-retension and, second, there will be yankey-grooving.

Pentti: With 8 Hertz multipliers.

Tim: So that's all there is going to be. And from that point onwerds we can only talk about the evolution of both of these. They are not styles, they are not genres, they are not labels artists or anything. They are just the state of trance music which is slowly starting to fall into place, slowly manifesting itself.

Pentti: And the 8 Hertz and its multipliers ...

44) What do think about psychedelic trance music becoming more popular or staying underground ?

Tim: I think it was bigger before.

Pentti: Same.

Tim: I think it just getting smaller.

Pentti: Yeah.

Tim: Lot more drop outs than drop ins. I mean, lots more drop ins than drop outs, nowadays. Lots more drop ins than drop outs.

Pentti: We try to be kind of like a 'shooting star'-type of a band. That would be great. One hit miracle.

Tim: Yeah. Maybe we make that someday.

Pentti: Maybe not. Maybe maybe.

45) What do you think about the evolution of psychedelic trance music in the last years ?

Tim: About the woman of psychedelic trance music? It started... thay have started a relatively fast transformation towards this dualistic; stiff-rhythmic-retention and yankey-grooving. That those two are slowly starting to... to... you can see the outlines of these two. Both are protesting almost at themselves, which means that they are two separate, yet same instances, meaning that they are just coming clearer and clearer, 'cus anybody can understand what means 'stiff-rhythmic-retention' and if somebody can prove to me that it is not the leading musical motif in 'psy-trance' today, then I can admit that "No, it has been evolving. It is not retarded." But this stiff-rhythmic-retention is present, as anybody with clear brains can see. And this is something I am not personally responsible of and that's why I can also say that there is the yankey-grooving side building very, very strong, with people approaching it from the right direction and it has always been like this, but for people to whom it isn't like that, then they cannot see it that way, from that direction, because they haven't grown into it, they have grown out of something to it, and that is the difference. Yankey-groovers and stiff-rhythmic-retarded. And both can help each other in many, many ways, but the most to give have the yankey-groovers at the moment, if we are talking of evolution. If we are talking of evolving.

Pentti: Next.

46) What do you think about the development of your own music ?

Tim: Well, I have said many times, that it is slowly, slowly becoming more easy-listening, but very slowly. Sometimes we are depressed of this fact that it is still very, very...

Pentti: Like trying to be easy-listening.

Tim: Yeah, trying to be easy-listening. It's not like... you know...

Pentti: Genuine ...

Tim: Yeah, genuine easy-listening.

47) What is the craziest thing you ever did or the craziest experience you've had ?

Tim: [long silence, laughter, very long silence]

Pentti: Well, I went to the army. [laughter]

Tim: Well, that answers that... I just have to say that the craziest experience is the next experience. That is so true, you know. I keep thinking and thinking and scanning for crazy experiences, but I have only felt that the crazy experience is all the time ahead of me. Like, coming up.

48) What are your spiritual beliefs ?

Pentti: Spiritual ?

Tim: None, I only will to understand.

Pentti: Material.

Tim: I only will to understand material.

Pentti: I'm very materialistic. Materialististic.

Tim: All those empty black-holes.

Pentti: Those lots better than granmahuts.

Tim: Yeah, that's it.

Pentti: From Sweden... I'd, oh shit ...

Tim: I don't believe, or I don't will to believe, I wish to understand rather. I'd rather understand.

Pentti: I'd rather be stupid... and fat. [laughter] Stupids are like happy, and fats are like...

Tim: Lepposia [something between easy-going, happy, nice and relaxed]

Pentti: Lepposia [more laughter]. Maybe there is one medicine for it. It is called beer. If you drink lots of beer, it can make you fat and stupid also.

49) Do you have any tips you could give to people who are starting to make music ?

Pentti: Buy bass drums [laughter].

Tim: Stop it right now! You are on the wrong path. Turn back fast, you have no time to waste! Get back to your normal life.

Pentti: But the bass drum is the first.

Tim: Yeah, buy a bass drum and ask for a MC-303 for Christmas. That's it man, that's the ultimate advice.

50) What do you think about the mp3 revolution ?

Pentti: I don't really know anything about it.

Tim: I don't know, it is my life. It's my life.

Pentti: [singing]...'it's my life'... But is it my life like Dr. Alban's., it sounded like it, like Dr. Alban's ...

Tim: Yeah, I haven't found that on Napster. I am very disappointed. If somebody has it, could you please e-mail it to me.

Pentti: But it sounds like 'kiss my ass'... [singing]...'kiss my ass'...

Tim: Yeah, that's right. Maybe the Machu Pichu arrangement could be 'Kiss my ass'.

Pentti: So, maybe if it is your life, maybe you have to kiss ass.

Tim: Yeah.

Pentti: What great advices!

51) Do you have anything you'd like to say to your fans ?

Tim: Stop sending all that underwear and all those whiskey-bottles, because we can't fit them into our time schedule.

Pentti: We get so much fan mail!

Tim: Please stop sending all that fan mail.

Pentti: My mailbox is like full of ...

Tim: ...crazy teenage girls, screaming.

Pentti: Yeah, everywhere we go.

Tim: It's too much, please cut it down fans. Take it easy, do something cool. At least, don't waste money on our idiotic records.

52) That was the end of the interview, thanks !

Tim: Really! That was such a great interview.

Pentti: Such a mindbending interview [laughter].

Tim: Yeah, exactly.

Pentti: Exacry.

Tim: Exacry.

Pentti: Up-so-root-me!

Tim: That was one of the best interviews ever. Really extensive thoughts and speculations.