Scene personality: Shahar (Isratrance)

DeathPosture

Made on 06-08-02 with Shahar (from Isratrance) by Chaitu

1) Firstly, please introduce yourself so the visitors of psynews get to know you better.

Mmmmm.... tough question- well, my name is Shahar. I'm basically a happy guy who likes music and life, likes nature and the world around him, and wants to change the world into a nicer place- even a little change will be nice. I live in Israel, but I also really like to travel and been to a lot of places around the world. I guess that will do- if you wanna know more you'll have to meet me :-)

2) How long have you been involved with the trance scene - what drew you closer to this particular genre of electronic music. Your musical background and journey through music - how it effected you and your relationship with music today ?

I discovered trance accidently in 1990 when I was in my army service and some girl from my base offered me to come to a party on top of Masada- I had no clue what it was about- but I always liked to dance so I went. I had a hell of time, especially when the sunrise came up over the Dead Sea. What really appealed to me was to be part of a group of people that gathered around to dance and have a good time together in nature- the energy was great. I went to quite a few parties here and there, but never did more than dance. Only in 94-95, when I was in Australia, I got really hooked. I think that the things that really caught me in the music itself were the different world of sounds and the amazing layering, the ability to ride sounds. Been riding them ever since. I started my affair with music when I was 10 years old. Went through different stages starting with Heavy Metal, a move to Punk, Industrial & New Wave, where I got introduced to electronic music through Front 242, Kraftwerk, Cabaret Voltaire, and the rest of them. Than I had a flip back to Psychedelic rock, a search through the 60's and The Blues, Pink Floyd & friends showed me another side of electronic music, I did a side trip to Reggae land, and finally landed in tranceland and electronic music in general. I think I always looked for different music, something that will challenge the mind and ears, and also music that has a message, that has something new to say to the world. Trance is like that.

3) Tell us about your new compilation for Hommega - Amalgamated Amalagamation.

I've been working on it for awhile now. It features a lot of established artists from Europe and Israel and some new fresh ones. There is an idea or feeling behind this CD which is a bit different, I believe. I tried to make it differently. It is made on the principal of good vibes- that was my drive from the start, and it influenced most of my decisions here. All the people involved here are people I know personally, the artists, the label, the cover artist, even the graphic designer. Some are just acquaintances, some are really good friends, some I meet personally every week, some are on-line friends, some are travel buddies. All are people that I like and feel a good vibe radiating from them- from all I had the feeling that their heart and mind are in the right place. The only exception are X-Dream, which I never met, but it's OK, because they're X-Dream :-) Basically it represents what trance is all about for me. I think it also shows a different side of Israeli trance- meaning the trance being made and played here, that I'm not sure people are aware of. It definitely ain't what people think of as a typical full on Israeli release. I think it's very mind challenging and needs an effort. But I know for a fact that all tracks rock the floor- they've been tested :-)

4) I must say that the artwork is rather interesting and it really does caputure the essence of these crazy outdoor tribal gatherings. Seems to me like more than just a mystical experience in nature, dont u think so ?

Well the cover is a very important part of this project for me, as visuals are a very important part of the party. I wanted it to show what this whole thing is for me, and because of the good connection I had with Neil who painted it, and Noam who designed it- it works- this is what trance parties are all about- amalgamating!

5) Have you been partying a lot recently ? Any significant changes from the days "on top of masada" in 1990 to the millenium night in disco valley to the karahana lifestyle in israel today ?

Not a lot really. Definitely not like I used to- I'm getting old, my back is not what it used to, ooch ;-) I don't go to party every weekend, and I go only to parties which I feel are going to be good ones- good nature spots, good tribe vibe, good music that builds itself- parties where the vibe is more important than the financial side of things. Of course the parties have changed in 12 years, the music have changed, the people have changed. But parties like that where what it was all about, and there's always enough of them around. Luckily, after so many years, I have almost a perfect instinct for good parties- haven't been in a bad one for more than 2 years.

6) Are you playing DJ sets. If so where and when was your best experience.

I am, but not as an income resource, meaning I've been doing it more as a hobby till now, not a regular base, and only in parties organized by friends, where I knew it's gonna be with the spirit I connect to. I'm starting DJing more seriously now, as I had very good feedbacks, and I'm even playing this summer abroad @ the XPO festival (www.xpo2002.com). My favorite set was in a very big party in the north of Israel where I opened up the line up, though it's no doubt great to be the star in the morning crazyness, it was very rewarding for me to hand to the DJ after me a crowd rightly cooked up at 3am and to see how the party pulled on till 12pm. Another great one was my first set- at a friend's wedding.

7) While travelling in India and abroad, did you learn something unique about world culture and how it's related to music. Why is that people everywhere are connecting to this music and exchanging similar experiences ?

Music is part of my travelling, I have brought music from almost every place I visited. I believe every culture you get to know is a door to another world, or in another way, it's another way to see the world. Music is an important part of it. Why people everywhere connect to trance? Quite simple, in every culture people used to trance at one time or another, it's in our genes- the biological and cultural ones. Trance is a shared human experience.

8) What is your definition of 'Good' music ?

Music that can take my mind somewhere else.

9) Recently there is a strong shift in the israeli scene to the techno - trance realms. Well more a diversification of the music rather than an entire shift, but it seems to me artists are not just making those fullon-ish melodic tracks, but are diving into darker, aggressive realms. How does one account for this ; - can you perhaps attribute it to the current political situation in Israel. Personally I love the melodic and darker stuff and I look it at as an expression of a state of mind. Do give us your thoughts on this.

The situation around is the first thing that jumps to mind, same as everyone seeking the reason why is trance so big in Israel attribute it to our situation and the compulsory army service of 3 years. It sure is a factor, but not that big, I think. I think the reason is more that the people making the music and dancing to it have diversified. There are more people, in different stages in their life, with different energies- they make different music- also of course trance is always looking for a change or a break into another realm.

10) Which was the last CD you bought ?

Telefon Tel-Aviv- Fahrenheit Fair Enough. An excellent chill CD with totally nutty rhythms and percussion- mind music in a cool atmosphere. Maybe I'll send my review to psynews later this week, though it's really not trancey at all.

11) After Amalgamated Amalagamation - What are u cooking up next ?

Well, first of all I'm cooking, or rather being cooked by, the end of the semester :-) When that's finished, I have thoughts about an "Israeli Tech-Trance Connection" thingy- which, as you said, is something that is happening here in Israel and I think deserves a quality presentation. Next, well... nothing is finalized yet, but I belive you'll hear more from me in the future, and maybe I won't be doing it for someone else.

12) Thank you Shahar, all the best !

Thank you Chaitu. And I want to say a good word for the psynews community and the people behind it- it's a wonderful thing going on here, and I know that this is the opinion of a lot of the people that make this music and care about what it represents.