promo lists..

Guest yoschie

What is the best way to go about getting on a labels promo list?

I know they must receive countless requests from dj's.. so what makes someone stand out from the crowd??

any help is greatly appreciated...

yos

Guest Elysium Project

Well basically they only give out promos to those DJ's that are most famous (famous = frequent party gigs).

It can seem a bit unfair but just imagine how many promos they had to send out if they should keep all dj's happy.

So if you are not a "famous/popular" dj I suggest that you try to get on the new small labels lists. But do not give up.. Call or mail the "big" labels you might get lucky.. It is also all about personal chemestry and contact with the promo guy/girl.

good luck.

Guest Sun-Wizard

take for example ari from alien project he used to do shitty music in israel and now he one of the famous artist in the world because he started to do good music

so if you doing good music it's not so difficult I think I don't really know

Yes, I was thinking this too, if you do good music and release it, and you DJ, you will get more unreleased music from labels. This was just my thought.

well, one thing to do is to send them an email and ASK?

Transient has a promo list, but you have to pay for beeing on it,

so does flying rhino . 100£ a year, then you get all they release before time.

dragonfly has 1 as well, which also costs money, ,

you still get your promos before they are released.

the reason you have to pay for it, is because they are printing maybe 500 copies of promos and they can't spend that kinda money without taking money back,

it would ruin the label!

i have been on all these promo lists, apart from flying rhino, which i only receive promos from a few times when we had problems with online sales.

but i stopped, because i stopped playing vinyl, and i couldn't afford it any more.

besides their styles changed away from me, and i changed away from them,... :-)

cya

/C

Guest Elysium Project

lol.. I do not pay for Transient, Dragonflly and Flying Rhino :-) ....Not because I want to brag I just did not know that Dj's normally had to pay to be on the lists. ...Kinda weird when it is surposed to be promotion for the label..

Hey,

well, maybe because you where offered to be on them... :-)

they started to take payment from dj's who was on the list by asking.

you get the records 1 month before they are in the shops.

and the prices are slightly lowered, so it had a purpose,.

but it's not really promotion like this,, it's just a way for the label to sell before it's supposed to, so they can calculate money earlier :-)

but you know Jay? he is on Flying Rhino as well, but he was told to pay those 100£ every year,

for about 3 years ago.

i remember he told me,, maybe he doesn't pay still , but he told me they told him so!