Best controller/mixer?Yamaha 01V/Behringer DDX3216

Hello,

I would like to find out what is the best midi controller and mixer for Cubase SX2. I Would like to find a mixer with the ability to record the automation of the mixer in cubase as well as one with the good sound quality. My budget is £500 - £600 max.

I have seen that both these mixers are being sold for around this price(BEHRINGER new and Yamaha secondhand) but having trauled the internet for information have found comments to the effect that the DDX3216 is quite limited as a controller and cannot record automation of the mixer in cubase itself, (but it's controls can be automated to provude tge same effect). Other people have said they have had probs setting up the 01V with cubase as a controller.

If there is anyone with first hand experience of either of these mixers some info re automation of mixes and sound quality would be really helpful. Or if anyone could recommend any other controller/mixers secondhand or new for around this price that would be of great help.

Many thanks in advance,

Oliver Dove

Hello,

I would like to find out what is the best midi controller and mixer for Cubase SX2. I Would like to find a mixer with the ability to record the automation of the mixer in cubase as well as one with the good sound quality. My budget is £500 - £600 max.

I have seen that both these mixers are being sold for around this price(BEHRINGER new and Yamaha secondhand) but having trauled the internet for information have found comments to the effect that the DDX3216 is quite limited as a controller and cannot record automation of the mixer in cubase itself, (but it's controls can be automated to provude tge same effect). Other people have said they have had probs setting up the 01V with cubase as a controller.

If there is anyone with first hand experience of either of these mixers some info re automation of mixes and sound quality would be really helpful. Or if anyone could recommend any other controller/mixers secondhand or new for around this price that would be of great help.

Many thanks in advance,

Oliver Dove

388502[/snapback]

I have the DDX, and I can say that im very happy with it. Im not using it as a controller thought, and I do not know if its possible, or how to do it.

However, you can record your automation for the mixer, which is pretty damn cool :)

What do you want to controll? Why dont you buy the DDX, and the new Midi controllers from Behringer, that should get you somewhere :)

I have the DDX, and I can say that im very happy with it. Im not using it as a controller thought, and I do not know if its possible, or how to do it.

However, you can record your automation for the mixer, which is pretty damn cool :)

What do you want to controll? Why dont you buy the DDX, and the new Midi controllers from Behringer, that should get you somewhere :)

388505[/snapback]

I would like to be able to control the mixer in Cubase SX so the hardware mixer records the automation in the cubase mixer, it would be good if it did it with reason aswell.

I thought that was one of the selling points of the ddx3216, although I read some comments on the web which say you can't directly record this automation of Cubases mixer through the DDX3216, but instead can automate the DDX3216's its controls from Cubase, this sounds like pretty much the same thing, but abit of a round about way of recording automation.

It would good to get an all in one solution however, rather than a separate mixer and another controller.

Thanks for the information though, it seems most people have a good opinion of this mixer.

here are some all-in-one choices

Yamaha 01x

Tascam DM-24 (with IF-FW firewire card)

Tascam DM-3200 (with IF-FW firewire card)

Tascam FW-1884

Tascam FW 1082

All are mixers, controllers, and audio interfaces. But the price is big :)

388537[/snapback]

Thanks,

These all look like OK options, although I would have thought these controllers (and others I've seen like Mackie Control) should have more than eight channels for the high price tag.

the tascam dm24, and dm3200 gives you 24 channels with the firewire card.

Tascam fw-1884 is expandable (expansion units is called FE-8, and adds another 8 channels. Fw 1884 can be expanded up to 128 channels, but thats a lot of modules= a lot of money :) )