Sad World (1993 Fax)

Posted Image

1. 05:09 Apadana

2. 30:41 Glyan

3. 17:42 Harsin

4. 14:32 Kirkuk

5. 10:10 Terasury

All tracks written by Dr. Atmo & Ramin

This was the first CD in the Fax PS series (=sublabel, for all Fax releases in which Pete Namlook himself wasn't involved). It's a collaboration between Dr. Atmo, a very frequent Fax contributor, and Ramin Naghachian, who was also part of the Afrotrance project. Sad World is some great ambient with ethnic influences.

Apadana is a nice short intro with ethnic percussion and some female chanting. It sets the atmosphere for the disc very well.

Glyan starts out in an Orb kind of way, first a fanfare and then some echoing voice samples, I could swear I heard the same voice in one or even several Orb tracks ;) The track developes into a very chilled and soothing piece with some nice laid-back percussive sounds in the distance. Quite repetitive track, but in a good way.

In Harsin we can hear nothing more than a flute, a tabla and later in the track a middle-eastern string instrument and a synth solo. And a male voice talking in some arabic language. So all in all we have a very organic sounding piece here, and it's all beatless and loosely constructed. It's sometimes hard for me not to lose attention but that's maybe because I don't understand what the voice is saying. It sounds as if he's telling an old Persian myth.

Kirkuk continues with a strong middle-eastern atmosphere. It is dominated by violins and a contrabass, which give it a classical touch and also quite a melancholic and melodramatic feel. And the synths in this track sound just magical :)

In Terasury we realize that the world isn't all that sad after all, and we get to hear a sitar, a choir, some strong but slow tribal percussion, a didgeridoo, and the returning voice from the first track. Nice one.

Though this is a very good chillout CD I have to mention that Sad World 2 & 3 are even better :rolleyes:

Again a very hard to find release, I have the double disc (with SW2) edition on Instinct Records, which should be a bit easier to hunt down than the original.