Psytrance & the invisible bassline stage....

Guest OneRedPanther

continuing my "psytrance is the best thing EVER - tell your grandchildren" theme,

I'd like to have a brief word about the basslines (and percussion) of some tracks.

Discounting percussion-reliant artists like Wizzy Noise (amazing, but not right for this discussion), do you find that some basslines and purcussions simply disappear and melt away from tracks until your no longer even aware they exist?

This happens to me especially at parties. I have 135bD of unreal bass pounding my body and ears, yet I munch a few pills and get into the groove. a few hours later, and the bass might as well not even be there....

... it's as though the drums and bassline paint a blank canvas for the artist to work upon. I dont notice that it's there eventually.... anyone else find the same thing? I walk up to HUGE bass bins and happily insert my head, totally oblivious to the insane pounding coming from them....

you know what I mean here, anyone? the bass is the blank page on which to paint the psychedelic music.

A lot of Alien Project's track have this invisible quality, same for X-Dream... anywhere where the percussion isn't really the issue at stake, more the 303's, E-MU's and Supernovas at work. ;-)

thoughts?

That's what I have been saying for ages - and I get it without any external source of intoxication. Whenever people say 'how can you like this stuff ... it's just booom booom booom?' my response is something along the lines of 'the bass line and beats just speak directly to the body, opening channels for the mind to hear the intricacies in the high frequency range'.

I am with you entirely on that one. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it created a blank canvas - but it does provide the shaded and textured material onto which the painting can be overlaid.

bomble

man! that's why they call it psychedelic trance!!! that's the psychedelia!!!!!!

you heard one thing than the next secund it desapears or turns into an other sound. Sounds have textures, colors and shapes in this kind of music... or unlees thats what I get to see when I'm playing or at a party... (most of the time i'm on pot which I consider medicine, not a drug).

One thing I love to trip with is the hard-fat-pumpin bass line like the Delta's Pop, Nerv's Channel 59 (<--NP) and Spirallianz. I feel like travelling in an old train in the midle of a full moon night crossing a forest full of demons... wow!!!! what a rushh!!!!!!!

Darker stuff is the finest thing to trip with IMO. Hard and rough...

well, I guess that's it for me, I'm getting high already just to talk about this issue

v4K

Guest Rumz

YUp... agree totally... I find for me personally the bass becomes almost natural.... and often i dont focus on the bass at all and its the melodies and intricasies of the composition that i end up really listening to...

However when a track comes on (as alot of artists have started doing recently) which has a melody kinda in the bassline line.. you know chord changes at really low fequencies and stuff.. that just blows me away i notice the bass again and feel rejuvenated, as i have a bass melody and sometimes.. if im lucky a main higher frequency melody..

RumZ

NP: monty on the run (commadore 64) - theme music (midi file)

Guest Soyouth

Of course the bassline and the boom boom makes you enter in a trance (the medical studies about body trance revealed that the patient's heartbeat was between 135 and 145 bpm...) and once you are ready you can take loads of acid hi freq waves that kills your ego and makes you feel waves of pleasure and smile !

That's why Psy Trance is so magic it makes you access to another state of consciousness, towards the 'enlightment'. I really love the word used by some people who talk about technoshamanism...

Plur

PS : And you definitely don't need drugs to experience the true pleasure of trance (even though It can be a really powerful revelation when eating mushrooms, I made it at Infected Mushroom's Germany Party, there are no words to tell... the Doors Of my Perception were being cleaned as never thay had been )

PPS :Special Thanks to Aldous Huxley, Albert Hoffman, Timothy Leary and many mores who opened the path to psychedelism

yup yup yup//// you have it right there my friend... i don't take chemichal substances or shrooms anymore... but a tripping experience is absolutely amazing.. the music sounds very different under the influence thats for sure... especially the more goa tracks,, eg. talamasca - come on, this bassline is great sober, but on psychedelics its like hearing the track all over again..

but beware, there is a downside to it as well.. don't get hooked on chemicals , they can really screw you up..

now i get that feeling when i am sober, but i wonder whether i would had those windows opened up if i had never taken a substance////