compressor on master channel in logic

i need help on the topic of using compressors on the master channel.

i read spindrift's take on it somewhere... he said u should not use a compressor on the master. i use logic, and if i don't put a compressor on the master channel, my levels go way to high.

oh, and what compressors r good to use on the master??

if i really should not use compressors, what should i use on the master??

Never bring the main out down or put compressors or limiters on it!!!

Your main out should not have any processing, thats better done when mastering.

Just bring your levels down on the individual channels.

Logics meters is a bit confusing, but IMO good when you get used to them.

What seems extremly low on the meter in logic is not actually that low compared to most other software.

A handy thing in Logic is to press ctrl-a when in the mixer and then shift click the main out to deselect that. Then you can bring down the levels on all tracks in the same time which makes life a lot easier if your main out is overloading.

I end up having most of my track on around -6 Db otherwise with a few tracks together you will run out of headroom.

I'm also on logic, as spindrift said, the final mixage that comes out of your sequencer should be very pure, without any dynamic processing on master. (it's always better idea to make good, accurate equalization on instruments than just compressing the signal)

But i always put Waves L1 or L2 ultramaximizer on master, it's always bypassed, but during breaks i pass the signal through it to hear it bit processed (i set up the threshold level very low, somewhere around -1, -2db), so it's just for preview purposes, but very nice change to your listening sometimes.. (good thing on ultramaximizer is that in never goes beyond 0db)

After you have clean mix from logic, process it (equalization, stereo image, dynamics) in wavelab or similiar soft that are made for this purpose..