Basic VST help

i may just be a complete moron, but im having problems (not really problems, just a general lack of knowledge i think) with VST instruments in cubase..

i know all my software pretty well, and i know that midi tracks are used to trigger VST instruments...my question is how do you route a VST instrument to an audio track so that u can add compressors, delay, reverb, etc??? I use cubase, and the only way i've figured out, is to bounce that VST instrument track down into a wave file and then add compression, etc. This works, but it doesnt seem all to logical to me..seems like its kind of besides the point of having VST in the first place..

alright, so im counting on someone to enlighten me and make me feel like a complete idiot :-)..i read the cubase help files and didnt find the answer i needed...im sure its a simple little step but i cant seem to figure it out..

thanks!

also...mmm, on a side note, if any of you use the MOTU 828MKII, how do u route audio coming in from the 828's inputs into cubase without monitoring directly from the soundcard...mm, let me try to clarify...without creating an audio track in cubase and turning the "monitor" switch on, i can still listen to all audio coming out of my synths which are plugged into the 828. if i do create an audio track so that i can add FX directly onto the incoming audio, and switch on "montior" in cubase, the signal suddenly becomes twice as loud as the audio is now being monitored directly from the cueMix DSP system in the soundcard and through cubase's software monitoring...is there a way to turn direct monitoring through the 828 off, so that i can monitor in cubase instead??

wow...dont know if any of you are able to follow, but any help would be appreciated..

peace!

hi,

okay mate, go to the mixer [F3] and find the vst that you want to effect, then klik on the little "e" there ya go, put effects on :)

To help get a better overview, theres a button on the far left wich looks like a midi-plug, press it & midi-tracks will disappear from the mixer & you will only see your vst-outputs/tracks, wich you can do inserts on/effects

thou can not put audio-effects on midi-data, but on audio tracks - you can :)

Hope you understand :)

alright..thanks a lot...the effects that u can add to vst instruments are therefore only midi plugins right, and not the normal compressors,etc. u would use on other tracks? mmm...also, would by any chance know how to assign a vst instrument to a specific output on your audio interface within cubase? thanks

anyways thanks again!!

peace!

hi,

okay mate, go to the mixer [F3] and find the vst that you want to effect, then klik on the little "e" there ya go,  put effects on  :)

To help get a better overview, theres a button on the far left wich looks like a midi-plug, press it & midi-tracks will disappear from the mixer & you will only see your vst-outputs/tracks, wich you can do inserts on/effects

thou can not put audio-effects on midi-data, but on audio tracks - you can  :)

Hope you understand  :)

210690[/snapback]

But you can put VST effects on the VSTi. You dont put it on the midi file. Wait I will post a screenshot :)

Here you go :)

I have marked red where you press and then add :) I hope you understand what I am doing. I am opening up a mixer, then I tell the mixer to show vst instruments as channels and then press on the edit button on the channel. There you can chose which specific output you want the assign to the vsti and also add effects and eq.

:)

Posted Image