USB voltage

so, here is the thing. i need to buy some midi controller and i went to the shop here in chile, and guess what... they work with only maudio stuff. So i decided to buy something in the states, i have some connections there <_< . i want the alesis photon... is a new thing, but i trust on alesis. so the question here is, maybe a stupid one, but who cares :D . Here in chile we work with 220V, and in usa work with 110V. well the midi controller is powered up via usb connection so the thing is... this voltage is standard/universal, or change if it is 220V/110V? i dont want buy this toy and the whole thing blow up. :D

so, here is the thing. i need to buy some midi controller and i went to the shop here in chile, and guess what... they work with only maudio stuff. So i decided to buy something in the states, i have some connections there <_< . i want the alesis photon... is a new thing, but i trust on alesis. so the question here is, maybe a stupid one, but who cares :D . Here in chile we work with 220V, and in usa work with 110V. well the midi controller is powered up via usb connection so the thing is... this voltage is standard/universal, or change if it is 220V/110V? i dont want buy this toy and the whole thing blow up. :D

207003[/snapback]

I think if you get a power adapter that works with the unit then you wont have a problem. I dont think that they are specially made for 110 (the keyboards I mean). I think that all they do is using a diffrent power adaptor.

You can check it out though by contacting Alesis customer support.

txs nemo, but i know i can use an adapter to transform from 110/220, but my quetion goes when i want to use the USB power. i dont know if all PCs have the same voltage all over the world, if it is a standard.

207010[/snapback]

oh shit yeah, I didnt think of that! :( I am sorry mate, I do not know the answer to that question. :(

here is what I found on USB 2.0

USB standard: 2.0 HighSpeed and FullSpeed

(and is backwardly compatible with USB 1.1 and 1.0)

Plug and play: Compliant

Physical connector: Standard 4 wire USB

(2 x Balanced Signal, 1 Voltage [VBUS], 1 Ground [GND])

USB Transfer modes: Bulk

Voltage: 4.4V - 5.25V. (No external power supply is required)

Current: 400mA (typical operation)

Clock speed: 24Mhz

Device memory: 8KB

Case: High impact MABS plastic

Size: 65mm x 50mm x 20mm (2.5 x 2.0 x 0.8 inches)

Weight: 35g (1.3oz)

Indicators: Orange LED = USB2.0 (HighSpeed ) or USB1.0 (FullSpeed ) indicator

Green LED = Transmit data

Red LED 1 = Power from USB bus

Yellow LED = Receive data

Red LED 2 = USB bus transmission error indicator

EMC standards: AS/NZS 3548:1995, EC

Storage Temperature: -20 ºC to + 70 ºC

Usage Temperature: 0 ºC to + 45ºC

Max speed: 480 Mbits/sec

And all the USB devices that I found use 5.x Volts or something

so I guess it converts it in the computer for you. Maybe you are safe afterall, but I would ask Alesis, they would know 100%

I would think that the voltage just affects what kind of power supply you need. The power supply then converts the power to suit the different components (typically 3.3, 5 & 12 volts).

207021[/snapback]

Yeah and in this case the Computer is the powersupply, and according to all pages that I have seen, they give around 5.x volts through the USB port. So it seems to be a standard around the world.

The powersupply is easy enough, because they are pretty much standard, and you can get your psu for your country in any electronic shop, or a converter. EXCEPT if you get your self a SONY dat, they use their OWN frikkin connectors and therefor you HAVE to buy their expensive adaptor!! :)

Yeah and in this case the Computer is the powersupply,

207045[/snapback]

Yes I was talking about the computer's power supply. The powersupply gives power to the motherboard, which gives it to the usb port. The stuff that goes in the computer is pretty much the same all over the world, you just have to have the right power supply. Another thing to consider when connecting new stuff is wheter you have the wattage to run all the gizmos.

Yes I was talking about the computer's power supply. The powersupply gives power to the motherboard, which gives it to the usb port. The stuff that goes in the computer is pretty much the same all over the world, you just have to have the right power supply. Another thing to consider when connecting new stuff is wheter you have the wattage to run all the gizmos.

207091[/snapback]

yeahp, with my USB hub connected my Laptop wont start up, but thats maybe not so weird hehehe ;)