Which synth to choose between Virus and Nord

Hey everyone, I'm a new comer as u might see and just thought I'd attempt to join the crew with similar musical ideals like this one. Anyway, I've been playing around with software music production for a little while now but I already feel the need for some serious hardware upgrade in terms of modular synthesis would anyone be able to recommend a choice between those two synths sited above for psy/prog trance production purposes mostly? Cheers, MaRz/Br

Hey everyone, I'm a new comer as u might see and just thought I'd attempt to join the crew with similar musical ideals like this one. Anyway, I've been playing around with software music production for a little while now but I already feel the need for some serious hardware upgrade in terms of modular synthesis would anyone be able to recommend a choice between those two synths sited above for psy/prog trance production purposes mostly? Cheers, MaRz/Br

206863[/snapback]

East Coast huh? I am in Melbourne myself ;D I am not sure I'd go either way, given the cost, especially with the Virus.

PC's are going 64bit, and the cost of crossing over to 64bit vs the cost of either of these Synths is cheaper and will give you more. The performance and QUALITY are going to seem exponential in increase.

I'd instead spend the money on: (in order of what your priority should be);

a)Audio Interface (E-mu 1820m all the way, they have the same a/d/,d/a as Pro-Tools 192HD)

b)Monitoring (Got a few thou to burn on a synth, fuck it get this instead, more important in long run)

c)Computer (AMD64FX/939) with as much RAM as possible, although you can do this in installments (no pun intended, but will take credit)

d)Midi/Control Interfaces (Behringers BFC/R2000 range)

Now as a caveat, I must mention there isn't much support software wise at this point, but it's coming, and given this, the benchmarks I have seen are still good with the AMD64FX, hinting at the potential.

Many are using only software to produce, it's a viable option although if you are lazy it can sound generic.

So you can spend $4000 or so on just one piece of equipment or you can spend high teens on a computer (I have priced one around $1800), and $3K or so on the rest I've aforementioned.

I've seen the E-mu on Ebay for $730AUD which incl. delivery and GST from a store using Ebay as an outlet. You could easily go into a store and get a package deal on the Behringer Controllers for $720 or so, and while you're there talk monitors, get a set of actives for $1,500-$3000. Genelec are the best, they also sell in singles which is good if you ever do 5.1 and have a subwoofer in their range to compliment their nearfields.

All this, and 200mbitps (25megs a second/1.5Gb a minute/A new DVD in 10 minutes) internet through the AC socket in your wall? the next 2 years in terms of technology, are going to be interesting.