Really need advice with mid-price monitors

Ola my friends,

i'm going to buy pair of new monitors:

I'm choosing between these:

Mackie HR 824

Dynaudio BM6A

Genelec 1030APM

or maybe someone recommend me something better for the price ?

(around 700-800Euros for each speaker).

It's going to be connected in my new studio together with yamaha 01x

I'm living in god-forgotten country Slovakia and here is NOT possible to go to some shop and try to listen to these monitors so i really need your recommendations guys :)

I need monitors that have also good bass (without subwoofer)

Producing psytrance..

Ola my friends,

i'm going to buy pair of new monitors:

I'm choosing between these:

Mackie HR 824

Dynaudio BM6A

Genelec 1030APM

or maybe someone recommend me something better for the price ?

(around 700-800Euros for each speaker).

It's going to be connected in my new studio together with yamaha 01x

I'm living in god-forgotten country Slovakia and here is NOT possible to go to some shop and try to listen to these monitors so i really need your recommendations guys :)

I need monitors that have also good bass (without subwoofer)

Producing psytrance..

200385[/snapback]

Hi there, I can only give you my personal preference. I have the Genelec 1029A's and they are really really nice for the kind of music that I produce (with a lot of bass, yes). The subwoofer is a plus, but not really needed for these close range monitors.

The other ones, I have only listened to in stores, with music that I produced, and it was just not my cup of tea, but they are good ones too. 1030 I havent tried at all. I hope this will help you.

http://www.genelec.com/products/1029a/1029a.php (my monitors)

Thanks Nemo,

As i looked over internet and reviews my choice is now:

Mackie HR 824

Adam Audio P-22-A

and for genelecs - 70hz-18khz is it enough ? :)

i'm looking for something like 35-45hz - 20-22khz

it would be nice if these monitors are not only for good mix but also good for a simple mastering (i know pro master requires lot of expensive equipment so i leave this on mastering studios, but it would be nice to do a "mastered" mix so i can play my tracks on parties right from studio)

If you don't have a room that is not acoustically treated, you might get problems with fullrange monitors.

Full range monitors can also need to work quite hard, so if you can't blast too much all the time, then nearfields can be better as well.

It's really hard to get an idea about how good a pair of monitors is if you haven't worked with them.

I haven't tried neither the mackies or ADAM, but both dynaudio and genelec is making some of the best monitors in my taste.

Dynaudio have some of the tightest bass I've heard, and the genelecs is easy on the ears and smooth sounding.

The 1029 is small and practical, and have a suprisingly nice bass for their size, but yes...a bit lower than 70hz i think can be nice to have as well.

Don't look to much on the spec though. You might get worse bass with a speaker going to low in the end. normally you have a highpass around 40hz on a PA anyway.

Hmm, so after many hours spent on net i'm now choosing between

dynaudio acoustics bm6a or bm15a

the bm6a should be nice pair of great sounding nearfields

bm15a delivers more power and subwoofer is not required for low bass

one thing of i'm afraid is that if my studio room size (approx. 5m x 6x with few acoustic corrections) will be fine for bm15a fullrange..

what do you think guys ?

anyone have experiencies with these dynaudios ?

Well, you got a decent size room there, and what i can quickly approximate you would have the modal resonance somewhere around 30hz (my approximation, I'd say find some info and double check).

So, like most of the time there is a chance of resonance problems with a full range monitor, but since your room is fairly large you might have quite ok results.

Bass problems is a bit tricky to deal with though if they seem to be present, and you do get more need for acoustic treatment in the whole range by using fullrange monitors.

With nearfield monitors you listen mostly to direct sound and can often do without acoustic treatment, while with a fullrange monitor you have them placed further away and get more of the room acoustics.

In pro studios you always have a set of both nearfield and fullrange, and I personally woudn't like to work with only fullrange monitors. You have to push them hard and loud for them to work well, and it' not all the time I want to work that loud really.

I have listened to loads of monitors, and worked with many, and like I said, the dynaudio have the tightest bass I heard. Not the most natural if you play some jazz or classic music on them, but for electronic dance music they give you a very good idea of whats going on down there.

i know u've scrapped them from your list, but i just wanted to give u my feedback on some monitors ive used. my school had genelecs in every studio this year (nearfield) and so i was working with them on a daily basis. they truly are the most accurate in terms of frequency response, but for me, they lack a little bit of character (nemo feel free to disagree). They are so "flat" (which is a good thing) that on the occasions when i did try mixing trance on them the bass just didnt explode for ears, and therefore i kept making the bass louder and louder which turned out to be a disaster back in my car stereo and at home. for me, when i mix psy, i need to be sucked into the music, and the lack of bass and no subwoofer didnt cut it for me. However, i did get a chance to mix a song in 5.1 (jump on the opportunity if any of you every have the chance) and with a corresponding genelec subwoofer, the studio turned into my own little party set up...so yeah, subwoofer definately helps with the genelecs

the other speakers i used regularly throughout this year were JBL. i have know idea of the price range, but they definately offered me a lot more bass than genelecs. problem with all the JBLs is that they were bigger and heavier...anyways, as i was in the last month of school they replaced all the genelecs in one studio with a brand new set of JBLs, and these monitors blew my mind. they come with a remote control (some kind of frequency analyzer i think, not exactly sure) but you could go to each speaker with this device in your hand and the speakers would automatically "tune" themselves to the frequency characteristics and dimensions of the room...was pretty cool..

anyways dont think ive really helped in your search for monitors, just thought id throw my opinions out there anyways..

good luck!!

p.s. pahana, u never responded to something i said on your last post...i was asking if you had any of your songs online (the darker the better) cause i have 2 halloween parties to spin at, today and tomorrow, and i thought it would be cool to blast some of your tunes at party people over here in bangkok. anyways, cheers!

True ABN, you can run into Bass problems with the Genelec's, but I am very very used to master and work on them, and for me that is not a problem at all. Some people really dont believe me when I tell them that I mastered my last few tracks on headphones hehe, its sometimes not just what you hear, also what you see, no? I love the Genelecs, because they give me the clearest sound that I have heard ever (flat, yeah maybe, I just see it as Clear and not flat).

Anyways, its a personal choise, and I would'nt push anyone in getting them, you have to feel comfortable with your setup.

I was thinking of getting JBL for the new studio though. Something big and very loud, so I can have small parties there ;)

Hows things in Thailand? You are from there, or do you live there only? Tell me more mate :)

Yeah, JBL's are pretty damn powerful, add a subwoofer to the setup and you're gonna have parties going on whether u like it or not :)

no im not from thailand, im from switzerland. i used to live in northern thailand when i was a kid, then moved back to switzerland to finish off highschool. Now I just finished the audio engineering diploma at SAE Bangkok...this city is alright, its big and theres a lot of clubs, but because of all the new laws they've introduced over the last 3 or 4 years things have gone downhill. Anyways, psy trance is pretty much non existant here, so i'd consider myself to be probably the only one trying to push psy trance here. im the only person in the whole city who does live acts (any form of dance music that is), ive played at big SAE events, been on the radio, tv, and going to be playing at the biggest music festival in thailand next week..(although i dont think its going to be full on psy, more tech-trance, techno).its hard though, clubs close at 1am so people dont even bother to go out. the police are a pain, they sometimes come into clubs, lock the doors, and make everyone take urine tests, they randomly pull over cars and taxis and search everything...last night i was playing at this one club and down the road they were having a huge halloween party and there was some sort of bomb threat so people were asked to leave and lots of cops showed up...i dont know this city is falling apart day by day, and its really sad..but the people here are great, the culture is amazing, and u always have the islands and fullmoon parties as a fallback if the city gets too much, so thats a relief...

all in all, its a cool city, and i see trance being big here again in 5 years or so (music here is a trend, whatevers cool at the moment is what people follow) so yeah, maybe theres hope, but anyways, there is a small group of us djs and producers that support eachother and try to organize as much as we can, so yeah, things are moving forward slowly but surely..unfortunately, im leaving back to europe in about 3 weeks or so cause im going to be continuing SAE's degree program somewhere there...but hopefully ill be back to thailand regularly to bring some psy back to this city..

below is the link to element of life, the organizers here, if u want to check out some pictures or events that have happened.

www.elementoflife.com

if u have any more questions, im more than happy to fill u in on life over here..

i dont know if uve checked out any of my tracks, but if u click the link at the bottom of the post u can check out a couple of my songs..

peace!

Hi,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Bm15a, they are fantastic, very clear and detailed. The best mixing monitors I have ever worked on. (though it is important to have a acousticaly treated room, no matter the monitor)

The Bm6a might do a good job for the size of your room, depending how loud you like to listen at times.