Old Eskeemo Knigts. My first Mastered song!

Guest djnemo

Guest djnemo

Hey everyone, on one of my cds here I found this song that I made back in 1996 together with Eskil from a band called The Covenant (A swedish synth band). Just wanted to hear some opinions about it. I am going to remix this track with my new setup. I dont even have the midifiles anymore, but that shouldnt be a problem, and I have the movie that the samples come from (dune).

Remember folks, it was done 1996 hehe.

http://www.esknetlabs.com/mp3/Eskeemo_Knig..._Travelling.mp3

Guest djnemo

damn, I am hurt, not even a comment saying "this is complete bullshit, I dont like it". Silence hurts so much more than negative reactions! ;)

I like the melody that starts at 01.24 and i think if you are going to remix the song you should let it evolve around that. Maby put in som more layers and stuff. I dont like the sound of the melody that kicks in at 02:20 but that's probably Eskils doing anyway, am i right? :D

Im looking forward to hearing the new version, good luck with the remix!

Guest djnemo

I like the melody that starts at 01.24 and i think if you are going to remix the song you should let it evolve around that. Maby put in som more layers and stuff. I dont like the sound of the melody that kicks in at 02:20 but that's probably Eskils doing anyway, am i right? :D

Im looking forward to hearing the new version, good luck with the remix!

198863[/snapback]

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yes it actually was Eskil that made that sound. Its a Nordrack 1. I could not totally recreate that sound, so I will actually leave that out, and replace it with something else. The other sound that you are referring to is a 303 clone, so its easy enough to figure out :) I will build the remix around that sound anyways. I will make it more "deep" though.

I like the beat alot, it is quiet amzing, if you consider it from being from 1996.

-BUT I think that the track is too clear, comparing to the vocal sample. The sample is too dark, in proportion to the beat.

And as Negrosex said, the melody that starts 1:23 is pretty cool.

Conclusion: Great track, looking forward to the rmx!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I really like this old dusty sound. You can hear this is not created with 1 and 0 inside a computer.

The melody that starts at 01:24 i really like, reminds me of miranda and it has alot of emotion/feelings to it. Overall there was a little lack of ideas after a while, but id really dance to this more then 90% of the neo-crap being produced today.

What gear did you use at 1996? :) And how did you sequense it?

Hey there, thanks for the input, very much appreciated!

For sequencing we used an Atari 1024 with Cubase. The sound that you describe is a 303 Clone whose name I cant even remember, we had a couple of them hehe. There is distortion on it from a BOSS pedal (That I DO remember).

The "Main" lead that comes in, in the break is a Nordlead1. For drums we have used th 808 and a 909 hehe. The breakbeats came from a sample cd that I HAD and we chopped it up pretty heavy in an AKAI sampler. Oh and the samples are from the movie DUNE. Bassline is a sampled Bass from the Nord as well.

Mixed live on a Behringer mixer, which model I have forgotten as well. There are several effects and we also used Eskils voice down the line, but you can hardly hear it. I have another track that we made at the same time, if you are intressted I can post that one too hehe :) That track is not as "FullON" as this one though :)

It took us 1 day or so to arrange it, and 1 day to master it. We had great fun doing those 2 tracks actually, we spent them totally in the studio (I slept on a couch that was so hard that I had backpains for 5 days, though I could have walked to my own studio where I actually had a bed haha).

Eskil I must add is one of the best producers that I have ever worked with. He is fast, efficient, and knows a lot about the gear. I would gladly work any day with him again, and who knows,maybe another collaboration is going to be there in the future :)