why imitate what the others do?

I don't understand ...

For me, the result is not to reproduce only other one makes (their way of playing, their style, their sounds...) but to create its own style and its own vision of the music. I see many people on this forum saying "I would like to make a sound like IF or like..."

Why as many people want to imitate ? To try to create by reproducing your vision, not that of the others... :(

your opinion about that ?

I don't understand ...

For me, the result is not to reproduce only other one makes (their way of playing, their style, their sounds...) but to create its own style and its own vision of the music.  I see many people on this forum saying "I would like to make a sound like IF or like..."

Why as many people want to imitate ?  To try to create by reproducing your vision, not that of the others...  :(

your opinion about that ?

198010[/snapback]

Sometimes you find a sound in a tune that you would like to tweak, for instance I found that I want to use stabby sounds, but I never found a real good way to do them, then you can ask someone how they would do this sound, and then tweak it from there. Noone has never told me that my music sounds like someone else though, because I try to sound like me.

a very easy way of learning how to program sounds is listening to your favorite track and try to reproduce some of the sounds u like. it might sound very boring and i would never go as far as releasing any of the stuff i try to reproduce, but it's a great way of learning how to program different types of sounds... this way, u will always have your own personal touch to the sound as u didn't just use a preset patch..

a very easy way of learning how to program sounds is listening to your favorite track and try to reproduce some of the sounds u like. it might sound very boring and i would never go as far as releasing any of the stuff i try to reproduce, but it's a great way of learning how to program different types of sounds... this way, u will always have your own personal touch to the sound as u didn't just use a preset patch..

198017[/snapback]

I dont think I ever used a preset patch on my VirusC, but for sure I have modelled one or two of them into the sound that I want it to be. Its always nice to have a sound as an entry point. By the way cgranber, do you have any idea how to make those nice stabby sounds that Krueger and Coyle or Ticon are using? I really love that sound, and I think it has potential to make something new out of. I mean, that sound has been around since like 1988, but still I havent figured it out, haha (Damn I must be so daft!). Anyways, need to get something from town, see yall later :)

198017[/snapback]

yes same opinion here .

I like to make stuff like astral , mfg and etc. , and i also use some sounds that sound almost their stuff but my technique is different , so your style is always on the song you compose , not on the sounds you use. :)

I don't mind if someone is using the same sounds or strucuture of the song. I mean, you need songs to mix together. I mind if someone is using the same compositions or style cause that is what should stay as an author work. There are heaps of original artists : ASTRAL PROJECTION, PLEIADIANS/ETNICA, HALLUCINOGEN, INFECTED MUSHROOM, SPACE CAT, OFORIA, X-DREAM, KOXBOX, MFG, CHI-A.D, COSMOSIS etc and to imitate what they do would be just silly. That is what artists need this day, originality. Even some progressed, 'original' songs can sound same just cause of stubborn use of same strucutures without variations. I think that full on and progressive are suffering from the same disease, no matter cause they are completely different genres.

Guest The Journey Man Project

Well as has been said by many if you want to break through into labels they all wwant the Astrix/GMS type sounds coz it sells to the mass... if you check with others who try to make goa sounds it won;t sell and abels crash, therefore none will want this sound anymore... goa is dead and so has died the orginality with it., take a listen to Asura and you can see how you cn get much more original sounds out of a Virus C than your GMS clones... it's ok to make crazy music, but fi you want to become big in this scene, then youneed to sell your soul to the GMS devil...

• 1 month later...

If u are totally green to music production , in building arrangments and so on .. i think its a good way to start of with .. copying some of ur favorits tracks. Just as long as u are willing to progress beyond these boundries when u once will be able to .

Djnemo , just heard those stabs , Imo sounds like some kind of Organ ( shortened , sust ,releas??? )with reverb and maybe even some kind of Bitcrush or distortion added?

I think i did one of those once :) maybe i can try to do it again , will report back if i succeed :D

When i was first starting out in producing i tried to kinda mimic some trance music, just because that's the easiest thing to do. It helps you learn how to use the tools before you try to make something good.

When i make a song now though, i don't even have a specific genre in mind. I just kinda go with the flow, and try to make something that sounds good