Japanese party discussion

Guest bugbread

<>

Well, what can ya do. I love Hallucinogen and Shpongle, and they sure as heck aren't gonna play at a house party I set up. Besides, I've never been given any trouble by the security, nor have my friends. They just stand in front of the stage and keep whacked out kids from showing off to thier friends by climbing on stage and dancing (I KNOW that that's not what all stage-dancers do, but that IS the situation in Japan). Actually, at Arcadia's party (yeah, yeah, I know, but Ubar Tmar promised (and did) play a song just for me, so I had to go), some really REALLY fried guy charged into Uni's show, and resisted all attempts by security to remove him. He was rolling his eyes up and I thought they were going to bust him or throw him out for sure, but they just made sure some people in the crowd took him aside and kept him settled. So, there's good security and bad security.

Anyway, no, I didn't go to Labyrinth. Honestly, I'm in a big bind in parties here, because I really dislike minimal, and that's what 90% of the DJ's play. As a result, I can't really go to parties where I don't know the DJs because every time I do, I get burned by minimalism (just my personal tastes). So what was spun? And is there a way you can let me know about upcoming events?

And any news on good New Year's events? Raja and Hallucinogen at Makuhari are a big draw, but the rest of the lineup doesn't grab me.

Guest amphitere

you dont like minimal stuff, that's a bummer...you are right, that's the situation in japan and i find it extremely annoying. i completely agree with russ, i enjoyed the gathering nevertheless, it was good music obviously and outdoor parties are still bearable, ie. you cannot @!#$ up that much.

but it's not like in europe where you can still go to big live acts and enjoy them in an underground atmosphere, in japan it's hopeless. there are a few really good underground parties, like the stargate party a couple of weeks ago...russ i didnt hear about your party in time but from what i hear it was good and i keep it mind for next summer if i am still here.

there is a new years party at code by trancecafe and some other organiser (forgot)...but that is likely to be quite progressive...

best bet would be to go to thailand, but its probabley too late for tickets

Guest goa tacks

Japanese party sene is so awful, I can't believe that it was some murder case in Japan during party.(This year there was a incident one guy was killed during the party, and organize never even stop the music, what's wong with you all Japanese people.) I know the sound system is the best in the world, but I do not think that it worth to go to party with a bad vibe... negative atomosphere, and many kids do not know what is trance is all about. Unfortunetlly, Japan is the place where I was born... and my education here is almost in the end, so I will go back to next year, but I do not think that I will go to any of the big rave festival there. How come party just cost 12,000 Yen($100) at New Year. I went to GMS last weekend for $20 and this week Shpangle will be $25 in SF. (it is still cheaper than just one ticket to go to party in Japan,,, mmmm money makers!)

My new year, I will go visit my friend in Macedonia, who I met though this psynews site.... Trance is not just a party, but whole community of people who are into practice of higher consiousness. And there is a way you can reach trance without going to the party... party is just a party you know???

Also

I rather save all my money to go back to SF in the summer and go to see Goa Gil's party again....

Or

Going to travel all around world... I am getting sick of all the abusive behavior at a party..

Just take care of yourself.

Guest amphitere

"Trance is not just a party, but whole community of people who are into practice of higher consiousness. "

only for some people. that sounds like bullshit to me, it's nothing more than music to me.

anyway, i heard about the violence at parties in japan, but never seen that @!#$, and never felt unsafe. dunno about the us, but if you talk about shady characters at parties, japan is nothing like europe. there i always run into some really dodgy fuckheads..

Guest Deep Kick

to goa tacks.

yeah the scene is gettin much worse. sad sad sad.

but ill tell you somethin.

the guy who you are talkin about isn't actually dead for sure.

the accident was happend unfortunately though.

Guest bugbread

Just to give people who aren't in Japan an idea of the scene: I didn't hear about the guy getting killed, but, for your reference: Japanese parties are getting a lot worse, but from what I gather they're still not nearly as bad as some of the scene abroad. I hear of fights every once in a while, but it isn't a common occurrence (yet). Trance is REALLY popular here, though, so the crowds are pretty big, and because EVERYTHING in Japan is so expensive, parties cost a LOT (Most regular parties are $35 or so, really big shows (Hallucinogen, Kox Box, etc) are $65 or so, and 3 day outdoor festivals and New Years shows are about $100. FOr the New Years shows, I think it's the organizers being greedy, but for other events, it's more that the clubs charge a lot for space rental (I'm doing a party on the 14th, with no plans to make a single yen of profit (it's a private party, so none of the DJs or my friend who's organizing will be paid), and we're still going to have to charge around $20 a person. Decoration costs are all coming out of my pocket directly. So there's not much to be done.

As for feeling in danger in Japanese parties: nah, it doesn't really happen. I've never been scared to go, I've never heard of people getting stolen from, etc. I'd just say that, compared to two years ago, there's a whole lot more ex-gang members, so there's more people you don't feel comfortable looking at in the eye for too long.