Good Security Stories

Guest bugbread

Anybody have any good security stories? I know we all have horror stories, so no need to complain about how bad security is in your town, but, man, a good security person can just make your day.

The one that pops to mind is during Hallucinogen's live show in Kodama Forest in Japan this summer. All the security in Japan are really big black guys (half of them are marines from base), and at this party there was this guy, dressed as much like an R&B fan as you can be while still dressed like security, and during Hallucinogen he was walking around dancing this cute "I don't know this music and I don't really know how to move my body to it, but, damn, I'm having fun" kinda dance. I offered him some beer but he smiled and said "Not on the job", then lent me a hand towel to dry some sweat off. Biggest damn smile on his face. Knowing that a trancer likes Hallucinogen is no big deal, but seeing this guy all grins in his shuffling little dance made an awesome day even better.

Guest amphitere

security in japan sucks. the "gathering" described above was no exception in my view. a whole row of bigass black security guys standing right in front of the stage just kills the atmosphere.

at a good party security is kept to a minimum. vision quest/solstice (and most of the other organisers in japan) are commercial sell-outs. i am sorry that i am complaining, i am in a faul mood. but to the person above, if you went to last year's new year's party in tokyo, please don't tell me that they are not going way over the top now. that's a never again for me.

Guest bugbread

Whoa, hold up now. I never said that the security was good in Japan (and trust me, I know what you mean about all the big organizers here being total sellouts). But that's not so much the point of the post. In fact...well, it kinda validates it. Security here generally sucks (though not as bad as in the U.S., I understand). That's what made this encounter so cool. Precisely because this guy DIDN'T suck.

As for New Year's: nah, indoor parties are too crowded here, so for New Years I went to Yoyogi Park. Free, cheap drinks, great air conditioning. Plus, unlike last summer's "I bet we can fit 10 more crews in this park", the New Year's show had exactly one sound crew in the park.

At a news years party last year one security guard busted a kid for pulling out a bag of pills right in front of him then proceeded to give them back to the kid, ruffling his hair and saying "have a good night". The kid stood there in shock for a while.

holy @!#$... what country do you live in Akira?

hm... BTW japan has no armed forces of their own... so they couldn't of been marines... unless they got the United States marines to guard there, from the US bases in japan... but that would be very weird thing for a US marines to do. I really hope they aren't doing that. That would be very fucked up.

mE - Australia...good security are very rare here though, usually they stare dissaprovingly at you with their black hollow eyes and meth encrusted nostrils.

Guest bugbread

Sorry, wasn't too clear: U.S. Marines in Japan are allowed to do part time jobs (yeah, surprised me too), and one of the most popular jobs is security. If you think about it, it makes sense: You're big, strong, foreign, can't speak Japanese, and can't work frequent hours. It isn't that the organizers are hiring marines, per se, but security companies hire them and then organizers hire security. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever seen a Japanese security guy (I'm not counting ticket takers and other staff). Or, even more surreally, a white security guard. I'll have to think for a while about why that is.

Guest amphitere

aight sorry mr. bugbread. you are right, i have encountered a few really nice security guards as individuals, i just cant handle the whole thing here, it's like you are at backstreetboys concert where they have to protect the artists from screaming fans...good you didnt go to the nye party last year: they set up cages on the dancefloor! i could not fucking believe it. at the beginning you get assigned to a specific cage, if your mates arrive at a different time and get a different cage assigned, tough @!#$..for Y10.000 a night. i cannot believe the people who consider going again this year.

do you know if they r having a free party in yoyogi this year too?

why does japan not have armed forces? just because they have to call them self-defence-forces it doesnt mean they are not armed...

I hate the secuiryt here in Melbourne. I wor e these three quarter pants, plain kahaki, a surfy t-shirt and some sneakers to a breaks rave at the prince of wales club, and got hassled at the door by security about dress code! I was a bit p.o'd but got in and was happy. I think Japan sounds prettover the top though, I mean, here in Melbourne once you ar ein their is not to much security,a dn you can generally have a good time :)

Guest vasyachkin

well, security on the SOULFLY (metal) concert here in NY was really nice. I mean almost everybody (except me, i'm not crazy yet) on the SOULFLY concert was crowd-surfing and the security did a good job of not letting anybody fall on the floor when peopel were being thrown over the fence and onto the stage :))) also the security did not really do ANYTHING besides catching people being thrown over the fence, meaning they did not complain about any activities that were going on such as mosh-pits or weed-smoking, or girls flashing

sometimes the crowd would lift a fat fella of about 130 kilograms and you would think - this one is definitely gonna hit the floor, but somehow they managed to catch even those :)))

hey bugbread and amphitere, if you go to solstice and VQ parties, you get what you paid for! a goddamn commercial nightmare. (by the way, at the solstice party, one of the security guards threatened to bust Simon Posford's head open--turns out he didn't want Simon on stage before his act, and simon didn't take too kindly to his attitude, and threatened to not even play, at which the big black dude told him if didn't play he would beat the living hell out of him! Pleasant, eh?)

did either of you come to the party i organized in October, "The Labyrinth"? huge line-up, but underground feel and very minimal security. if you're sick of the commercialization of Japanese trance, but still want to see top artists, check out the MindGames parties next summer. strictly underground, outdoors, for the groovy liquid tribe.

--russ ("The Monk")