Psy trance from 1991/92

What's your opinion on tracks from 91/92. If you were in the Goa scene at that

time, do you have any anecdotes to share? I'm really interested in this early

period... just downloaded the first tracks of Koxbox, "World of Illusions" and

"Echoes of Dawn", and they are unbelievably good...

TIP's first release was in 1989 unless I am mistaken - I have always wanted to hear it....

bomble

Guest Elysium Project

TIP was not even around in 1989 :-). Graham Wood. Ian St. Paul and Raja Ram started TIP Records in 1994.

By the way KoxBox did also not release their first record before 1994-1995.

Wow way back in 91/92 most of the music was "acid house" or "acid techno" and not at all trance as we know it from 1993/94.

Those days were truly fun and a whole new world of music was about to evolve. What can I say? - I was there but there's to many stories to be told... I might write a book about it someday .-)

Well, you're right that 95% of the music was acid house or techno... I'm

interested in the other 5% ;-) Or at least stuff that paved the way for trance.

As for the artists you mention, The Infinity Project released a record back in 1991,

and Koxbox had tracks on compilations as early as `92... so they do indeed

count as founders of psy trance. The "Echoes Of Dawn" track is at least two

years ahead of it's time.

Probably the first real "trance" track (not industrial or techno, but real trance) was

The Overlords - Sundown, released in April 1991. More than anything else, that

track convinced me Goa was the birthplace of trance music.

Feel free to spin a tale sometime Kristian :-)

Guest shulman

i bought 2 albums and i think it was around 1992

hardfloor - tb 303 resurrection.

novamute records - version 1.1 (compilation)

hardfloor was damn good for its time and was a hit in parties

apart from that i think the first cd that was released in israel was a compilation named " transformation" if i remember correctly but that was around 93 or 94

in 92 all you can get was tapes compiled from records.

and those were really hard to get at that time.

it usually went like this. a dj (there were only 10 or something djs back then)

recorded one of his friends a tape and all the others dubbed it from him.

so i guess a track listing of that time is really hard to get.

Guest Taikakimi

The old Gaia compilations have some interesting stuff, I have the first two, and even though most of it sounds really awful, there are a few gems like E-Rection's Suck My Dang-A-Long whch stands out from the rest like a bright star...

I have lately got really interested in the more electro/disco/highnrg/indutrial/ebm/whatever style sound like Genetic's Transmission, Space Tribe's You Can be Shiva etc. Hmm. It's a shame that most of the 80s dance stuff is on vinyl only... Any pointers to this kind of stuff are appreciated :) The soft groovy happy playful stuff disappeared from the "goa" sound rather early, not to say that the Doof etc stuff is bad either. Just that different is nice, too. (hmm, this is one sector where some Finnish artists have succeeded altough usually I'm not such a fan...)

And, heck, I was rather accidentally at an inustrial/ebm party a while ago and even though the crowd was rather funny, the music was SO kick ass! Wow. I'm affected ;) I guess it's also time to check out all those old 80s industrial bands too.

Anybody know record review sites like psynews for this kind of music? It's a bit hard to find invisible music. Especially all kinds of "let's sell all those old stupid techno CDs for a prize that is a joke" sales are great, but the albums sold are often obscure at the least...

Hey Elysium,

no doubt your knowledge of the early days is better than mine, and my use of the word 'released' was inappropriate, but TIP, by which I mean The Infinity Project and not the label as a whole, formed in 1989. The made music and played it a parties.

I quote from an interview with Raja:

"so here we came back from Goa, its '89. I meet my partner from this group we formed called the Infinity Project,T.I.P., the Infinity Project. I met him on the street one day, very weird

cosmic meeting. He hardly played any instruments at all. He played a little bit of guitar. But he didn't have any electronics and he

wasn't really interested in electronics. Somehow he came back to my house. I showed him what I was doing. He started picking up

on it and coming around frequently. Before very long, he was much better on the equipment than I was. And we suddenly realized,

we were making this sort of music. And we started making some tracks. And then we had a brilliant idea on December the 15th, 1989. We would have a party. And it was my 50th birthday and my daughters birthday parties. So we decided that we'd have a joint birthday party. And so she invited 200 friends, I invited 200 friends, we hired a place in the west end, in Smith Market area in the West end, a basement, and we put on a free party. During this party, we played the two tracks we had written, 'Kicking with Boris', and 'I Love My Baby'. Both tracks have never been released. And during the night, when everyone was dancing, these tracks were played and to our astonishment, people liked it. They didn't run off the dance floor. I don't know how much they liked it, but they liked it enough it sounded okay, and we thought to ourselves, man, this of course you have to remember there was hardly anybody in the U.K. There was no one making trance. There was no trance or Goa parties. I mean you have to put it in perspective. At that time, you could go into a record shop, and it was impossible to buy any of this music. It didn't exist. So the following year, I went back to Goa, as I did for the next eight years. "

Sounds to me like they had formed a little before 1994 ??

I would love to hear those two tracks... maybe oneday.

bomble

Guest Elysium Project

bomble I thought you were talking about the label which were forunded in 1994 :-)

Yes I do know that Raja and Graham "started" The Infinity Project in 89.

But as far as I remember they did not release anything before they started T.I.P Records though (correct me if I am wrong here).

The whole idea of T.I.P Records was to release their own stuff.... That's why they named the label the same as the band.

I got to ask Graham to play me those early tapes if he still got them :-)

Guest Full Lotus

Hey ho, here we go, ever so bright, sorry where was I? Aaah yes Psy trance 91/92, well...round that time it was for me, plain and simply, the rave vibe with stories of outdoor parties on the beaches of Goa. In the those days in the UK, we had heard of Goa as this hippy hangout from the 60's, which had embraced the heavily electronic hallucinogenic free party vibes of Acid house and unleashed upon us the global scene that we see today. I didn't make it to Goa until '95, but the vibe in those days is one that can never be recaptured ie Criminal Justice Bill, Outdoor Raves etc, We were all in it together, and electronic dance music was not as fractured as it has become in recent years. Damn, watching some program on BBC about the 60's and Hippies in particular got to go, Tim Leary is on, Turn on, Tune in, Trance out!!!!!!!!!

Guest Zero the Hero

arrgh, remembering those wonderful parties in Goa in 94, soooo sweet!

for me the oldest pure psychedelic trance track I can remember really is E-Rection - smoke my dang a long (1992), a pure gem indeed.(Far better than the X-dream remix of 97' !)

Bom

Guest AutoMath

Taikakimi, thanks for a very interesting input into this discussion.

I'm myself tracing the psychedelic dance music back along these lines. Before the techno and acid sounds hit the shores of Goa you could hear the sounds of New Beat, Italo-disco, EBM and other stuff. I like you really miss the funny and balanced funky part in the music which totally dissapeared after a while. Yes the finnish stuff still have the right positive vibe.

The underground disco stuff is also very fascinating.

Listen to the amazing psychedelic underground disco tracks like "Powerline - Double Journey" and "Mandre - Solar Flight (opus 1)" and the likes played by David Mancuso at his legendary Loft parties in New York in the 70's. Or anything by the Cerrone or Giorgio Moroder gives the disco that electronic trancy feel which later developed into hi-NRG, just check "Don Ray - Got to have Loving" or "Standing in the Rain", if you are not afraid of good vocals and the right disco production.

Also anyone who have heard the infamous Patrick Crowley 16 minute mix of "Donna Summers - I feel Love" from '82 will recognise with an open mind the goa vibes in the synth-lines.

Guest Taika-Kim

Yes! That's exactly what I'm got excited about lately! It just seems that maybe I should invest in a faster internet connection so that I could try to find some tracks from the 'net. The highnrg/disco stuff especially is really elusive...

I think that the funky rolling fast often octave based fat basslines are the strongest influence disco has given for later times. I love the crazy happy melodies too, and not all disco etc has vocals at all! (and in a right kind of party the vocals fit in very well.)

Thanks for the artist recommendations etc, I'm really keen to hear more of this music!

So what happens when a die hard goahead that played too much videogames as a kid goes disco after being disappointed by the current state of psytrance music? Find it out at: http://avp.greywolves.org/music/apinavuori...501_Tao_Tao.mp3

(yes, we have the vibe here in Finland)

Guest Taika-Kim

Wasn't Suck my Dang-a-Long released in 1991?

And about the early tracks: (to all aspiring artists)

Save them!

When you're famouse, they have turned into solid gold, no matter the quality ;)