FINANCIAL CRISIS IN PSYWORLD

Guest narwhal

Taboo records, one of the best psyshops in Europe on the continent is closing down. The reason? Because of the high currency value of the british pound, they cannot longer afford to buy and sell music from the uk psyrecord labels (Flying Rhino, Tip-World, Twisted, Atomic, Phantasm, Psychik Deli, to name a few), also israelien import is getting very expensive. It's not the fault of the labels but shopowners have to make a living out of it, and it seems that this has become impossible. I 'm convinced that this is not an isolated incident, I think the psycommunity is in a very dangerous situation right now, because if the public cannot longer afford to buy too expensive music, it is very bad news for the psylabels who depend on worldwide sales. I hope I got it wrong. Maybe the solution is that all the uk-labels and labels from other countries with a too strong currency move to Euroland?

Anyway as long as you have some bucks, support your psymusicindustry!

seeing as labels such as the UK based ones you mention charge about £6.50 (under €10) per CD album, with lower prices per unit as the number of units goes up, I hardly think they're responsible.

Guest Inpsyde Media

The problem is that, as you said, Uk is not involved in Euroland !

and english people themselves decided this... so it's their fault !

I'm sorry but it's the truth.

Guest StoNeY!

what, you mean the shop in the Kammenstraat in Antwerp, right? That would be a damn shame...

I don't visit it that often cause I don't have time to go to Antwerp every time I want a cd, but I always loved that little shop. They always have heaps in stock and the service is super friendly, as it should be...

Are you sure about this? Do you know when it will be closed down, cause i'd like to visit it one more time...

Guest [tom jaimz]

I can't see why a store would have to close down simply because they can't afford to stock English psy-trance. For a start, most of the English psy-trance is distributed by Cosmophilia for pretty much the same price as other trance. If a store has a serious problem with high prices I'm sure they could negotiate with the labels themselves for a lower rate.

No, I think the real reason that stores like Taboo are/will close is due to a combination of factors. I would consider the following to be pretty important:

* The rise of the internet as a more used marketplace. Some retail stores have adapted to this and have good web interfaces. Others, like Taboo, have not.

* MP3s. Say what you like, it means less people go into dance music record stores.

* Economic uncertainty. The evaporating of the IT industry, the after effects of the incidents of September 11.. all of these make for an unstable marketplace globally, and the psychedelic trance scene is not left untouched.

Thoughts? Arguments? Toasters?

yeah inpsyde, we haven't really had *any* say in it yet.. no referendum, no info, nuffin.

tom's statements are fair. when I think of making the trek to london just to buy tunes, we're looking at a fifty quid surcharge just to get to the record stores - so one point to the e-tailers before we even begun.

the MP3 debate, well I don't know if it directly affects record sales. One london label told me last week that they don't give a monkeys about mp3 traders, and they aren't interested in stopping it because at the end of the day it gets more people hearing their music (and not having to rely on radio play or stuff like that to get a release out there.)

Guest [tom jaimz]

I don't think MP3 trading is really affecting record sales so much, but from my point of view I think it's contributing towards the shift from retail stores to online stores.

I used to go into stores, listen to all their music, then go home and order it all on the internet. Sure, most of my money wouldn't go to the store, it would go to the online store, but pretty often out of a combination of curiosity, desire and guilt I'd buy a CD or two in the store while I was there.

But now, I just listen to MP3s, and buy the music I like.

i don't know about the prices of cd's where you live,but to buy new in the uk shops,it's about £15 sterling each which is far more than anywhere else in the world as far as i know .i'm fed up with paying this much for a cd so i either get them from friends or copy them-the uk is a pretty mean place ,pricewise,and i apologize on behalf of the greedy uk tax system if it's affecting any one else[maybe the artists as well].i don't know if this is relevant to taboo, i hope not?

Guest Setsuko

there are other factors why the Taboo will close ... Caroline , the friendly girl who works there wants to go studying again ... and according to Aorta , the shop hasn't enough profit .

btw, Stoney ... setting up an online shop in Belgium is very hard , the competition with the very cheap Psyshop in Germany is big ...

... i think the mp3 and trade(copy) is one of the factors why the sales are getting down , even in the commercial business.... for example here in Belgium there were 2000000 less sales in 2001 compared with 2000 , that says enough.

now , i order my cd's online . because it's cheaper then going to Taboo .

conclusion : the internet is the future and destroyer

Inpsyde Media - I think that comment about the English (and I expect you mean the British) was a bit odd. Of the rest of the European nations, only Denmark held a referendum as far as I know - and they said no ! In other words, the only country that actually asked it's people whether they wanted to join, decided not to. There is likely to be a referendum in Britain about this soon, but to say it is the fault of the people is a bit misguided. Most of the people of the rest of the 11 Euro-zone states were never asked !

bomble

Guest Inpsyde media

Yes... you're right, maybe my message is a bit odd.. but the fact is British people and government always seem (as general opinion) to appear as "superior" to other european countries... I've read the british government was very worried that in the following years countries like Poland or Czech Republic will enter in the community and this would cause a hole in the strong british economy. In my opinion this is not the correct way of see the future. Europe needs England and England needs Europe above all using the same currency as first step.

Guest Elysium Project

Sorry but that's crap (no offense) Inpsyde media.

There are many contries (incl. Denmark) that are worried of the development of the E.C., the ECU and their national situation once countries like Poland ect. are entering into the E.C. but thsi does not mean that we don't welcome them.

UK can be a bit domminant (in their uncritical partnership with USA) but you must not forget that countries like France, Belgium and Germany (no offense again) are way more domminant and arrogant in E.C. matters. Actually I see UK as a very mature country that actually try to make something good out of E.C for all members where countries like France, Belgium and Germany (again no offense) seem to be so damn pro E.C. that they also think that they are the natural leaders of the E.C (just remember the meeeting where they excluded many of the small countries).

How come none of theses countires do not DARE to ask their populations for their opinions? The only countires that dare are Denmark, Sweden, UK and Ireland...makes you think dosen't it? What are they so damn afraid for? Well maybe the ECU (Euro's) would be a hard thing to follow through if they had asked their populations about it (elections). I for one sake am pretty sure that France would have had a BIG TIME NO!

Back to the main issue:

The reason why this shop close down is very simple! BAD running!

It's a business for cry out loud! If you don't know how to run a bussiness properly you must close down! - it's a very simple rule for all areas of the business world!

Guest Setsuko

true Inpsyde Media , when a government like the British and one from Denmark have this "superior" way of thinking , means this is so un-democratical. the fact why people vote against is that they have fear for new things.but you'll see , the British government will accept the € very slowly .... and i hope other countries will do too because it's much more fun when you can travel through Europe just all with the same currency. It's another step forward to on big blue planet community and it's sad some don't want to participate .

Guest Elysium Project

Well if they weren't badly runned they would not shut down! that's common logical sense!

It's so easy to blaim everyone else when things go wrong!

Setsuku so what you are saying is that you trust your politicians blindly and that you are happy to give up your democratic right to vote?

That's exactly what your gouvernment are doing when they do not let you use your right to vote! They steal away your constitutional right to vote!

By the way I am not thinking in a "superior" way (stop making theses stupid assumptions) or afraid of change! Actually I am pro Euoropean I just don't want my right's taken away from me! And I like to have my opinion heard. Your country could deffinently learn something here!

As for UK joining the Euro...Don't be so sure! The English people are very protective when it comes to their currency! Even how much Mr. Blair think he can tal them into it.....He might get a big surprise.

Guest psychopat

Just notice that people always criticize the others:

"My countrry is the only... blah blah blah....."

"The only countries that dare are...", the ones you know well Kristian (I suppose).

In France we choosed too, with the help of a referendum, to come

into the E.C.. So we had a big time YES.

And I don't know if it is a good thing or not for now.

But before flamming the idea, we would have to check back History to understand the roots of such a huge project (Remember the Europe situation some decades ago, it is when the idea

took place I think).

The major problem is that we don't know and respect each other (cultures, habits) enough in the E.C (poor human beings :()

"Welcome everybody..... from the E.C. and also extra-'E.C' beings, if there are any and who they are"

The mystery of the E.C part-1 (1996) ;-))))

P.L.U.R.

Guest Elysium Project

Well I do agree to most you're saying psychpat and again I must point out that I am pro European and did infact vote yes to the Euro but:

You (France) did not have a vote for the Euro! So I do not understand how you can say that it was a big yes? Maybe your politicians made a big YES hiding behind the referendum? But they did not directly ask the voters! They people that I have spoken to in France are very divided in this matter...so after all I am sure that a result of such a vote would have been 50/50...not that big a yes afterall!

By the way I do know France well (of course not as well as you) since I have friends there and I stay there quite a lot! And I do follow international politics!

Guest Elysium Project

The reason why I feel strongly about rights to vote is that I do not wan't to see a united Europe where everything is being done behind closed doors without the population's influence!

What I see in some countries (France, Belgium and Germany included) are a movement leading away from this democratic right.. Again i do not try to flame those countries or their citicents but just pointing out this is not a good development! I wan't power to the people not the politicians they are merely our extended voices...We all know how it goes when politicians get too much power....it evolve into coruption and other crimes!

Guest psychopat

Hi Kristian (How fast you are answering, I'm impressed,

are you glued to the forum? ;-))) )!

We have voted in September 1992 to allow France government to

ratify the Maastrich treaty which is the one which makes a real economic and political union (I voted myself, so you can't tell the opposite, and I voted "YES").

I don't speak about the 1957 Rome treaty, where french people just like the other countries (Belgium,

Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands) have not been asked.

You are right to say that it was a little yes, I admit (I don't know exactly but it was something like 52/48) . But we voted for that, it is a fact.

If you are talking about the currency (Euro), we didn't vote again, of course, we have already choose that in 1992.

And you surely know more french people thant I know dannish ones ;) because I have never been to your country and I didn't know any dannish man, .... not yet ,

and I don't know northern Europe countries cultures so much neither (it's a shame, one day I will, and one day.... perhaps....... it will be YOU) !

best regards

Guest Elysium Project

fassttttt as hell :-) on a broadband 24/7 connection.

Touché....... mon ami :-)

I did not know that the 1992 treaty included the approval for the French gouvernment to decide for the french people...Guess I have learned something new here!

You are always welcome in Denmark :-)

Guest Slidingtrancer

I hate this 'national' talk, study some history and you will know national traditions are invented and nationality is irrelevant anyway.

Guest Setsuko

Geez EP , Ofcourse I don't trust the Belgian politicians blindly ... I voted for them so I hope they do their job good ... and imo the gouvernment who is now leading belgium is doing very good things . And what do you know about the situations in Belgium . Come over here to see how tings are going ... oh no , that's wright you feel to 'inferior' to come to the psynews.org party...

you know what's wrong with this world ... bounderies , yes stupid bounderies... I feel no need for those things, and what the EC is doing now is moving away those silly geographical lines. were all humans and our 'nationality' way of thinking is worth nothing. I'm glad to hear you voted yes but i don't understand why you keep on lamenting about this subject over and over again...

this is a huge project going on , a project to make this world an elysium for all living creatures.